Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got a ticket today........

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

I got a ticket today........

Ok.....I see people's cars all over the place that don't have a front license plate. I was pulled over today on the damn interstate, in a very precarious area (the trooper had to go to my passenger window for fear of being run over on my side) and (ok.....this part was my fault) I didn't have my seatbelt on, but he told me the reason he pulled me over was because of the license plate not being on the front. Now.....I got a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, but didn't get one for the license plate.

Question: Is it a ticket-able (sp?) offense to not post a front license plate?
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Utah law (Title 41-1a-404 UCA) requires that every vehicle registered in Utah, other than a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer, must have a license plate securely attached to the front and rear of the vehicle. Federal standards require that every vehicle manufactured for sale in the United States must have the capability of mounting a license plate on the front and rear of the vehicle. If you contact the vehicle dealer, they can obtain the necessary kit for mounting a front license plate.

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITL...m/41_01057.htm

Yeah that's lame. You heard Summit though...my motorcycles don't have to have a front plate...

I dont think I have ever seen a bike with a front plate.

I think that they use it as an excuse to pull you over and find other (seatbelt, intoxicated, wanted felon, etc. etc.) reasons to ticket you.

I got pulled over one quiet Sunday morning here in Syracuse and he told me that I needed the plate. He also asked me if I put my seatbelt on after I saw him turn around to pull me over. Putz.

It's really just an excuse, but yes, they can pull you over for that. If they tell you that was the reason though, they're full of it.

While you were pulled over, there were about 15 others passing you who didn't have them either.

They'll use that as the reason, but they'll try to find anything else that they can, like:
    cracked windshield
    no seatbelt
    signals not working as you're pulling over
    break lights not working either
    damaged mirror

...anything they can find to raise revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by shlingdawg
    I think that they use it as an excuse to pull you over and find other (seatbelt, intoxicated, wanted felon, etc. etc.) reasons to ticket you.

I got pulled over one quiet Sunday morning here in Syracuse and he told me that I needed the plate. He also asked me if I put my seatbelt on after I saw him turn around to pull me over. Putz.

I was going to do just that (slip the seatbelt on after I know he saw me) but I figured that would just aggravate him plus give him the chance to give me an additional ticket for driving recklessly or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    It's really just an excuse, but yes, they can pull you over for that. If they tell you that was the reason though, they're full of it.

While you were pulled over, there were about 15 others passing you who didn't have them either.

They'll use that as the reason, but they'll try to find anything else that they can, like:
    cracked windshield
    no seatbelt
    signals not working as you're pulling over
    break lights not working either
    damaged mirror

...anything they can find to raise revenue.
    I tried to explain that I was claustrophobic plus that I was originally from New Orleans where there are lots of open canals that run by the highways and I had a fear of going into the water and not being able to get my seatbelt off.

He appreciated the story and all......but I still got a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    I tried to explain that I was claustrophobic plus that I was originally from New Orleans where there are lots of open canals that run by the highways and I had a fear of going into the water and not being able to get my seatbelt off.

When I had my '68 mustang, I had a 'mustang' plate on the front. I was pulled over many times, and all I got was a fix-it ticket. After I got a cop would sign it off, I would take the plate off and put the mustang one back on.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

On the other hand.....

I was pulled over in Wellsburg for 10 over.. didn't slow down fast enough from 55 to 45. Anyway, he only wrote the ticket for no front plate ($30) instead of the speeding ticket. Lucky me! Worked out well in my case.

I of course used the "What? I have to have a front plate? I'm from Michigan, I don't know these things"... Which is garbage anyway b/c of course I took the Utah driver's test!

Other cazy utah laws -

In Utah, daylight must be visible between dancing couples.

In Utah, birds have the right of way on any public highway.

In Utah, the husband is responsible for every criminal act committed by his wife while she is in his presence.

Your mistake was making an excuse. That pretty much guarantees that you are getting a ticket. (Unless you have a good one like you are in labor on the way to the hospital.)

Be honest, say you were dumb and in a hurry and you are sorry. Also get your CCP. Since I have had mine I have been pulled over THREE TIMES, in a year and a half and have not been issued a citation.
    Let's Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Bigben
    Your mistake was making an excuse. That pretty much guarantees that you are getting a ticket. (Unless you have a good one like you are in labor on the way to the hospital.)

Be honest, say you were dumb and in a hurry and you are sorry. Also get your CCP. Since I have had mine I have been pulled over THREE TIMES, in a year and a half and have not been issued a citation.
    Honestly, my first words were that I knew I was wrong in not having it on and that I was rushing from point A to point B. He just smiled.

It was after he brought the ticket back to sign that I told him the other story. It was an honest story too......I truly did have a fear of running into a canal and being trapped underwater, panicking and not able to get the seatbelt off.

Lest we forget the big "click it or ticket" campaign going on. UHP will always cite for no seat belt particularly with all the advertising. One thing I have noticed in my dealings with clients and in reading police reports is that if they want to pull you over, they will find a reason. Perfectly legal for them to fish if they can articulate a reason, like no front license plate. My favorite is the "no license plate light" reason or mud flaps that are too small reason. You know they are fishing when they use that reason. Well, southern belle, they wanted to give you a ticket for the seat belt violation and used the no front license plate to justify the stop. One other thing, your odds of getting trapped in a car in a canal in the desert are kinda slim.
    Life is Good

Novel idea

Here's a novel idea...maybe the officer pulls you over...not to get revenue, but for safety's sake! SEAT BELTS DO SAVE LIVES!
    fourwheelerfanatic

Ok so I have a little bit of help here. Your all gonna hate me now but I'm actualy a cop now. I'm a military policemen for the base. (Only for about a week now) I can understand the cop asking if you put your seatbelt on. We ask people about cell phones all day. (You can't talk on them while driving on base.) I've get into some peoples asses and they dont even own a cell phone. The other thing is that cops have to give out so many tickets or their command starts to get suspicious.

Re: Novel idea

Quote Originally Posted by wojo342
    Here's a novel idea...maybe the officer pulls you over...not to get revenue, but for safety's sake! SEAT BELTS DO SAVE LIVES!
    I'm going to have to go with wojo on this one. You may argue that if you want to participate in self-destructive behavior, that your choice, but that's retarded. I'm not sure that the officer's pay is affected by the number of tickets he gives out.

Now I will agree that there are ass hole cops, and then there are alright cops. If you really hate having people enforce the law, I guess you better run for office and change the law.

We can't all just sit around and bitch because we were doing something wrong . . . and then we got caught.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Re: Novel idea

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    We can't all just sit around and bitch because we were doing something wrong . . . and then we got caught.
    Sure, we can bitch all we want, if the law is of questionable reasoning. What's next, a law requiring everyone to brush their teeth at prescribed times during the day, with a particular brand of toothbrush and toothpaste? I'm sure you'd be all for that one too, as long as it's helping to curb all this "self-destructive behavior" of bad oral hygiene.

Sounds like a good idea, and we should sue the big germ companies too. Then we can have anti-germ campaigns.

If people want to drive, on public roads, they can obey the laws that the govmint imposes.

It's totally a choice. You don't have to wear your seat belt. You just can't drive if you don't.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.