Thread: Amethyst and Osler Lakes

Amethyst and Osler Lakes

Probably about three weeks ago, my wife and I backpacked into Amethyst and Osler Lakes. Beautiful basin with tons of camping spots. The hike in isn't too bad, the first 2.5 miles is fairly flat, and then there is about 1/2 mile that is a pretty good climb, and the rest of the hike is just a gradual climb. We seen quite a few day hikers come in and out. We left on a Friday and came out on the following Monday. The weather was wonderful, it was overcast most of the days, and only a few sprinkles here and there. On saturday we went up to Amethyst and enjoyed the day catching small fish (8" to 10" max). On Sunday we made our way over to Ostler, quite a nice lake, not as big or pretty and Amethyst, but nice in its own way. The south west side of the lake is the deepest and holds some real nice fish. Not too many people must know about Ostler, everyone heads right up to Amethyst and passes Ostler right by. Anyhow, it was a great little getaway for the wifey and I. Much needed R&R!!!!!

Don't mind the Date Stamp on the Picts, I'm a Dipstick.

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images              

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pictures, thanks for posting. That's a great area, been a while since I've been up there.

Eric.

Thanks for the pics.

Isn't this near the East Fork of the Bear? Or am I thinking of another lake besides Allsop?

Isn't this near the East Fork of the Bear?
    Yes, they are fairly close, but getting from one to the other is not easy.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

It looks like you may have been using Jake's lures?

Great area. I've been to both lakes, back when I was a scout. Real pretty up there.

Gold on Amethyst and couldn't keep them off of the silver at Ostler.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Thanks for the pics.

Isn't this near the East Fork of the Bear? Or am I thinking of another lake besides Allsop?
    It's south of Christmas Meadows up the Stillwater Fork of The Bear. Another great couple of sweet lakes up that way are Ryder Lake and McPheters Lake. Instead of turning left (east) and going up the hill to Amethyst Basin, continue up the valley. We caught a ton of fish in Ryder Lake, but that was 17 years ago. It was hard to believe we were camping at 11,000 feet. Christmas Meadows and Hayden Peak are the quads.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    Another great couple of sweet lakes up that way are Ryder Lake and McPheters Lake. Instead of turning left (east) and going up the hill to Amethyst Basin, continue up the valley. We caught a ton of fish in Ryder Lake, but that was 17 years ago.
    Ryder and McPheters can also be accessed from the highline trail by scrambling to the ridge and dropping into the basin. Basically you take the same route as you would to summit Hayden, then drop over the other side. McPheters is deep and has some big trout, there are lots of small waterfalls around Ryder. Also if you look around there is an alcove in one of the cliffs near Ryder that allows tent-less camping under a natural shelter. If you're down for some COLD swimming, there are some really fun cliffs that drop into McPheters. This is still my favorite day hike (as I've mentioned on here before). For anyone who hasn't seen them already here are some pics:

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2005/...mountains.html