Thread: Deep Creek Zion Permit

Deep Creek Zion Permit

A while back I asked NP Ranger Ray O'Neil for a little clarification on obtaining an overnight Narrows permit when backpacking Deep Creek. The problem is Deep Creek is usually a 3 or 4 day trip and the Narrows overnight permits are only issued one day in advance. Here is his response to the question, which I thought some of you might find valuable.

We will issue permits for Deep Creek trips the day before the trip begins. We recognize that groups may not be in the Narrows until two or three or more days after the permit has been issued. We limit camping to one night in the Narrows, but we do not have a whole lot to say about the amount of time that groups spend on BLM land in Deep Creek.

We do advise visitors that weather forecasting is less accurate the further into the future the forecasting is for.

Ray O'Neil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

we camped in the deep creek narrows a little ways above the confluence to avoid this problem. had more than enough time to hike out, finish the car shuttle and drive home. 3 days in total. wonderful hike.

Yeah..... two of the Narrows campsites are actually above the confluence and one just below. The hike from Kolob up the Deep Creek is only 15 minutes.

true. what i mean to say was that we camped outside the park boundary.
    so we were only in the park/narrows, technically, for a day hike.
    deep creek has about 8 miles of narrows above the confluence, quite spectacular too.
    we camped on a nice sandy spot in its depths. a very memorable place.
    good times!!

When we did Deep Creek we could see huge trout in the pools.... you see them?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    When we did Deep Creek we could see huge trout in the pools.... you see them?
    trout ... really? nope. that's cool. i remember some small fish. but nothing large. i would definitely love to do that hike again someday. i'll look for the fish next time.

i thought that was one of the best ways of doing the narrows. droping from the highcountry as the canyon slowly deepens and narrows. and how pristine it is. i hope that never changes.

it's very strange when for more than two days you don't see a single soul, then a couple of backpackers, perhaps, the a few hikers, then some more hikers, then the a slowly growing mob, then the 1st battalion.