Thread: Fry Canyon hike

Fry Canyon hike

DJ (my 14 year old son) and I decided on Friday after work that we should do something for the Labor day weekend so we loaded Motorbikes, Guns and climbing gear and headed to southern Utah to ride Slickrock, hunt Doves, target shoot to warm up for the upcoming Deer hunt, Geocache and hike the Fry canyon slots.

For this stop we parked just East of the Fry Canyon bridge N37 38.142' W110 08.940'.
    From there we climbed into the canyon and swam under the bridge, probably a 30 yard swim in a great slot! Next was a hike downcanyon which is worth the trip by itself but there is more. We came to a slot with a 60' rappel into an amazing cavern and another swim through another great slot probably more than 100 yards of swimming. Exiting the water we saw an awesome Indian ruin in the canyon wall. From there it is a short hike to where White canyon intersects and we hiked up white canyon until we found an exit N37 39.413 W110 09.023'. From the exit it was 1.5 miles back to the truck. aproximately 3 hours total.

This was a great little adventure and I will have a hard time passing this spot in the future without stopping for a quick fix!
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Where is this Fry Canyon? Is it down by Lake Powell?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Where is this Fry Canyon? Is it down by Lake Powell?
    Sort of....

It's about a 45 minute drive west from Blanding on hwy 95, right next to the Fry Canyon Lodge.

By the way, thanks for the report, I've been meaning to get around to this one being as how its so close to my place.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Here is everything you need to know about canyoneering Fry Canyon.

Fry Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/fry.htm

I've been meaning to get around to this one being as how its so close to my place.
    If I would have planned ahead I would have messaged you. I could always use an expert guide

I wish I would have looked this up before we went. I was just going by what a local told me. It worked out but we had a tough time locating an exit.
    The water was a lot more clear in your guide, we had dead things floating and muddy water.

Quote Originally Posted by fourtycal
    we had dead things floating and muddy water.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of canyoneering

From your pics it looks as if the slot was really full of water. Fry is the most fun when it contains lots of water.

One more question..... was the pool at the bottom of the 60' rappel a swimmer? I'm asking because it used to be a swimmer then it filled up with sand and was just a wade. Curious if its back to swimming.

Yes it is too deep to touch, there is a ledge at one side of the cavern but from there it was a swim. On the way through the narrows there was maybe 3 sand bars.