Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warren Jeffs Arrested

Warren Jeffs Arrested

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh man, those mormons are crazy!!
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    I think you mean humans right...

That asshole Jeffs has forced hundreds of underage girls into sexual relationships...... I have no sympathy for the creep.

I can't wait for Jeffs to meet his new, giant, black, cell mate that goes by the name of Thunder Dick.

Too bad but he won't be put with the general population.
    Let's Roll

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    Alright, I'll bite. He ain't Mormon. I'm Mormon and he's not. No offense taken. I had to correct a couple law school profs who had their facts wrong on this issue also.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    He ain't Mormon. I'm Mormon and he's not.
    that would be mormon fundamentalist ... no?

Didn't Brigham Young have 47 wives and a Beard? Do you think he would be on the FBI's most wanted list today? I know for sure they would not let him on his own campus.
    Not trying to start anything... its just strange how things change.

I bet Warren Jeffs wishes he was a Mormon when he was getting pulled over by the state trooper

Yeah, I was just trolling. I'm very L.D.S. W.J. was/is F.L.D.S.

I think that if there had been an F.B.I., B.Y. would have been on the list. The US army did invade S.L.C. with a warrant for his arrest.

Just a note - B.Y. was not raping 14-year-olds, nor arranging for the marriage/rape of such.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Let me describe the difference this way. It is kinda like Protestant isn't Catholic. Jeffs and harem broke off from the L.D.S. religion and started their own Church (or others did before Jeffs). They are in no way affiliated with the L.D.S. religion. Its apples and bunny rabbits. Isn't equating a Mormon as a polygamist old news-- as in over 100 years old- old news? Spoken by a true great great grand son and great grand son of a polygamist Me! Move along, nothing to see here.
    Life is Good

It is funny how even main stream journalists get it wrong. On MSN home page they had an article about the "Mormon cult leader" getting arrested. FLDS are not Mormons in todays standards. Mormons are equated with the LDS church not spin-offs from it. Scott hit it on the head with that one. I think it has to do with tarring the LDS image by those who for some some reason or another despise the religion. I was on the SLC craiglist the other day and you wouldn't beleive the hate and animosity portrayed by some people on there about the LDS religion. I probably won't ever understand the reasoning behind it, just as I won't ever understand why different ethnicities like those in Iraq hate each other so bad.

Let me describe the difference this way. It is kinda like Protestant isn't Catholic. Jeffs and harem broke off from the L.D.S. religion and started their own Church (or others did before Jeffs). They are in no way affiliated with the L.D.S. religion. Its apples and bunny rabbits. Isn't equating a Mormon as a polygamist old news-- as in over 100 years old- old news? Spoken by a true great great grand son and great grand son of a polygamist Me! Move along, nothing to see here.
    scott what should they be called. i didn't think using the term mormon fundamentalist was equating mormonism and the fundamentalists. it's simply making a distinction by means of a simplified term, as the phrase 'members of the FLDS church is tedious,' and they DO believe themselves to be mormons. alternately, there are many christian religions who don't believe the LDS church is christian, yet the mormon church believes otherwise.

but i understand what you're getting at.

They believe themselves to be Mormon???

According to whom Stefan?

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus
    They believe themselves to be Mormon???

According to whom Stefan?
    As I have understood it, the FLDS church (as well as probably every sect which has broken off of the LDS church) considers itself the true mormon church. So this, of course, would be according to them, i.e., they have self-proclaimed it.

i understand that "the" LDS church believes the phrase "mormon fundamentalist" to be contradictory in some sense. therefore they choose not to recognize it.

a statement by LDS president hinkley (http://lds.org/newsroom/showrelease/...-23016,00.html)

There is no such thing as a 'Mormon Fundamentalist.' It is a contradiction to use the two words together."

another term would be polygamous sects, but this is somewhat ambiguous.

they call themselves mormons, which is clearly controversial, so we're not going there.

the question was, how should they be called for short. clearly they are members of the Fundamentalist Church of the Latter Day Saints. what should the rest of the country (or world for that matter) call them as that phrase is tedious ... when i was young, growing up in salt lake, the common term i heard was polygamists. but this seems sort of derogatory, and a shortname which has clear meaning within the confines of utah, but is unclear more generally.

i am not trying to incite problems here. just trying to find a simple term because i can't stand using such long-winded descriptions.

I don't see the term "polygamists" as being derogatory. It is the practice of polygamy that distinguishes them from actual "mormons" IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    Didn't Brigham Young have 47 wives and a Beard? Do you think he would be on the FBI's most wanted list today?
    Yeah, something like that. Jeffs didn't have a beard though, maybe that's where he went wrong.

Anyways, it's not about polygamy. I believe there are thousands of polygamists around, and they are not under any investigation.

Jeffs' problems included child incest. He's even charged with Raping one of his Nephews. Hear that? This is waaaaaaayyyyyy more than having multiple wives. The dude is a child molester, of both sexes. Who knows if he's involved animals or not.

In fact, he's not even charged with having multiple wives. Polygamy does not show up on the charges. It's this other trash that he's in trouble for, and polygamy will probably never be debated as a legal status from this case. It's just something the news stations are fixated on. They're not focusing on the real charges.

scott what should they be called.
    Good question. Beats me. They and the media will call them what they will call them. My only point was to explain that I, of the LDS faith do not claim them and I am sure they would not claim me or the LDS faith. Crud, one wife is plenty for me and I am sure I would be breaking some dress code if they saw me in my wetsuit in a canyon. And the lawyer thing would probably send them over the edge too. I'm surprised I haven't been banished from Uutah.
    Life is Good

hmmm, that didn't post as I wanted it to. What did I do wrong Sombeech?