Thread: Solo Trips

Solo Trips

Hey, just wondering who out there enjoys solo trips. I have wanted to do some solo stuff, but never really got out to. Any cool stories/experiences or places you've been on your own. For those of you who've done a lot of both (solo, non-solo) which do you prefer? Does this feel like 20 questions, or maybe one of those dating shows: "Contestant number 2, if you could go anywhere in the world by yourself where would you go?"
    Leave No Trace

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great question

I used to backpack by myself a lot. I used to go up to Henry's Fork Lake, right at the base of King's Peak. Then I got married, then I had kids, then Aaron Ralston happened. I don't go solo much anymore. In fact the only thing I do solo is float the green river below flaming gorge.

I can't wait to hear people's response to this question...

90% of the time I am either solo or with my four year old. It's not like I plan it that way, but 90% of my request for partners go unanswered. I haven't figured out why that is, but it's just the way it works out.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'm always looking for people to go with cause I prefer the added security of having somebody else around in case I do something stupid and someone has to report where my dead body is. But finding people with the same level of ambition, experience, and ability to get time off is difficult, and if I want to go somewhere I'm going, whether it's alone or in a group. It doesn't matter much either way depending where I'm going. Some trips, if they're remote and exclusive enough that I wouldn't see anybody else on the trail at least once a day, I'll save for a time when I can bring others along. The only really cool & memorable solo experiences I have are ones where I was totally screwed in that situation, and if one more thing went wrong it would've been game over, so after a couple of those experiences, I decided to rethink where I went alone.
    Mike

Most every backcountry bag night I have is a solo trip. Even though I'm a moderately experienced backpacker, I typically do only a couple of short, 1-2 night trips every year. I rarely find anybody who is both physically capable and whose company I find pleasant enough who is willing to go. I don't do longer, 4+ night trips by myself either. I'm too concerned that if something does happen, nobody will come looking for nearly a week.

The next trip is up to see the fall colors around Tony Grove lake. There's this one place that's easy to get to, has great places to pitch a tent with water nearby, and rarely has anybody hiking through or setting up camp there. Since it's such and easy backpacking trip, I've got three friends (two female, one male) who've never been backpacking before that keep saying they want to go. I'll give some prettly long odds that every single one of them bails out.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I have solo'd quite a bit but not since I've been married. My wife would NEVER let me solo again. + it's just silly dangerous depending on where your going.

It isn't any more dangerous now that you are married than it was when you were single.

I end up going on a few solo trips every year. Mainly scouting for the hunting season. And then I hunt solo too. I really enjoy my time solo in the wilds.

I also enjoy company too. It just depends on what I'm doing.

i'm a little behind the curve on this but i do solo trips all the time. up to 8-10 days. mostly in escalante, grand gulch, or canyonlands. off route with technical sections and tricky route finding are my favorites. email me and i can share some itineraries with you.

Most of my trips in the past year or two have been solo, and I'm really enjoying it. I like to make plans for a trip, then go. When I arrange to go with someone else, I have to worry about the weather and last minute things that "pop up" making my partner cancel. I don't care if the weather sucks - at least I'm still getting out.

Went solo into Dark Canyon for a couple of days last year. I'm doing Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon next week solo. Local trips in the BC coast mountains have mostly been day trips, but with my new bivy shelter, I'm starting to do local overnighters, too.

My wife is OK with it - I don't think she's thrilled, but she does know that I'm sensible enough not to get too risky. Every trip outdoors entails some risk, but knowing that my family is at home and waiting for me really helps me keep it reasonable.

Company is nice, but I'm really loving solitude as well.

I am just curious, does anyone carry a fire arm when doing a solo trip. I don't want to start a flame war, just wanted to see the responses.

i dont carry a firearm on solo trips unless im in alaska and then i carry one every time i go out, sometimes two, solo or not. the only thing to watch for is cougar in utah and ive never even seen one. the people out there arent going to jump you. plus they are so damned heavy.

or are you thinking you wont be able to cut your hand off and it would just be easier to shoot yourself? hmmm? now theres something i hadnt considered.

I used to carry ,and I don't care what anyone says , because of some idiot I might run into and not animals. I have had camping trips where just the gun in it's holster did the trick. Now I pack with goats and I carry for their protection. It used to be a weight concern when I packed alone and now with 2 goats it isn't.

I'm also a late comer to this thread; I've hiked and backpacked solo about 90% of my trips. As a lone female, I make sure I camp to myself and not in established areas. No one can bother you if they don't know you are there.
    I don't worry much about animals. Use common sense. In bear country keep a clean camp and tree your food. I've seen two cougars up close and personal and both were a lot more afraid of me than me them. Same with the black bears I've seen. The most aggressive animal I've come up against has been a badger. Gave that little guy a wide berth.

In Az have seen lots of rattlers and use common sense around them too and no problems. Same with scorpions etc.
    I don't carry a gun although I have one. Too heavy. And as I have been taught, don't pull it unless you mean business, are you prepared to kill someone. This business about scaring someone or wounding them is BS IMO. They'll just take it from you and you'll be toast unless you are mentally prepared and skilled with firearm use.

For one I sleep better outside in a camp, usually under the stars and no tent if I can, than I do at home.
    You can rest when you're dead

If needed I for one have no problem pulling a gun with the intentions of using it.
    Protecting my wife- pull it faster than a heart beat and use it.
    For my animals I would certainly try and make a warning shot and hope that the noise scared what ever( bear,cougar or yote) away from my goats.
    For myself- depends on the situation.

I perfer to hike with others but I've found that if I don't go solo, I often wouldn't go at all. Especially when I climb peaks. I don't know many people who like to climb peaks. I just make sure my wife knows my plans. I climbed Lone Peak solo last year and Broads Fork Twin Peaks a couple years ago. I've never gone on an overnighter solo but I would do it. I never carry a gun. I'm not against it but I've never felt threatened enough to carry one.
    Life's to short to short to spend indoors

Don't backpack alone. With only myself as company for very long, I scare myself.

Luckily, I have a buddy who works the same shift as I do, and we hike quite a few miles.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey