Thread: Zion West Rim August 19-20, 2006

Zion West Rim August 19-20, 2006

What can I say? Perfect weather, beautiful trail. We started off from Lava point around 10:00am on Saturday. Ran into a couple different groups at the West Rim doing technical canyoneering routes. After about two hours on the trail it became very apparent to me that I was in no shape to do this route. Leonard helped me get to Potato Hollow where I camped and hiked back to the West Rim Trailhead on Sunday. The rest of the group finished the route, collected the shuttle and met me coming back to the WRTH. I didn
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mroy on the other hand took a bunch of pictures a has a good right up. See them here:

The writeup (yawn)
    http://www.mikepearce.us/PermaLink.a...4-5bc89d3cf564
    The pics (yay!)
    http://www.mikepearce.us/Zions_West_Rim_Trail/

I couldn't get the hotlinking to work, so I am uploading a few of mroy's pics (hope you don't mind Mike )
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Looks like nice weather I did the trail in March last year in a blizzard and pitched my tent in 2' of snow. We made to Potato Hollow and had turn turn around because we lost the trail. Yep.... we almost died.

Them are some sweet pictures there. Do you have any additional info on the trail? I would like to maybe try this sometime in the future.

This is one of the established trails at Zion I think it is about 17 or 18 miles long and you can get more info on the NPS web site. It does require a backcountry permit. I've only attempted it in the snow, this time of year should be ideal.

Here is some more info on the hike:

http://utahtrails.com/WestRimZion.html

14.4 miles, 42 mile car shuttle, backcountry permit required.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    I couldn't get the hotlinking to work, so I am uploading a few of mroy's pics (hope you don't mind Mike )
    I don't care if you steal pics off my site to put up on here, as long as you give credit, and you did, so I don't care.

It feels like we did that like 3 months ago instead of just last month. Must be this crappy weather keeping me locked up inside making it feel like an eternity.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=1241464

That can give you an idea of where it takes you, just put the map in satellite mode and zoom in. The elevation gain/loss data is skewed. Motionbased is owned by Garmin and I have a magellan device, so I think the data gets a little messed up since the data has the magellan quirks instead of the garmin quirks it expects. When the profile goes all blocky at the end, that's in refrigerator canyon to the end where it couldn't pick up a 4th sat.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mroy
    Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    I don't care if you steal pics off my site to put up on here, as long as you give credit, and you did, so I don't care.
    Speaking of this, I used these two pics below in the Image Bar. Is the author James or mroy? I've labeled them as James, and will change them to mroy if those are your pics....

Yeah, they're mine. Geez James, look at the trouble you're causing.
    Mike