Thread: Maple Canyon RIP

Maple Canyon RIP

ok

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is pretty much the trend for all outdoor hotspots in Utah. For instance, my first trip to San Rafael was to the Buckhorn Wash on Spring Break in

Re: Maple Canyon RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Summit42
    About 10 years ago a friend of mine from mt. pleasant introduced me to maple canyon. It was beautiful, empty, with great camp sites, some hiking and all the climbing you could handle.
    Wait 'till the new guidebook comes out, if you think its crowded now...

Place is ok to camp in if there aren't any folks there. Problem is, that place is like a natural blow horn echo chamber. You can't hardly fart at one campsite and not have the whole canyon hear it. Just loud that way.

'Bout ten years ago or so was a sometimes sketchy place too. Bit of a local drinkin' hang out and party spot. Grim sometimes. A friend got sucker punched in the dark and opened a can of whoop ass. Which prompted the ass-kick-ees to go get their guns. Sheriff had to intercede. Not a purty thing.

-Brian in SLC

Ahhhh.... yes..... the Good ol' days.

You must have heard one of my many Lake Powell tales...... we used to get mad if someone camped in the same CANYON with us. Best part was there were lots of nakid ladies at Powell back in the day..... now way too many families boating around for that to happen.

First time I did Little Wild Horse we camped at the trailhead. We were the only car for two days.

First time I did Heaps it had been two years since a group had been through. The first year I did Heaps was like second year for permits and Ranger Ray told me later only 11 people did the canyon the entire year. he was also the fella that told me no permits were issued the year before....... of course back then permits were free and the enforcement was kinda lax...... but you get the picture.

"Back in my day syndrome?" Is that what they call it? Wow, then I'm screwed. In my early 20's still and I already have it. Freaking sucks. That is why I don't sport climb anymore. It's become way too commercialized. When I first started climbing it seemed much more elite. And that was only like 10 years ago. I bet you old timers (no offense your, posts alluded to the fact) are going crazy seeing the retards try to take over the sport. That's why I spend all my vertical time on the ice. Unfortunately, that genre is headed down the same path in Utah. Time to relocate. Alaska anyone???
    Leave No Trace

Re: Maple Canyon RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    'Bout ten years ago or so was a sometimes sketchy place too. Bit of a local drinkin' hang out and party spot. Grim sometimes. A friend got sucker punched in the dark and opened a can of whoop ass. Which prompted the ass-kick-ees to go get their guns. Sheriff had to intercede. Not a purty thing.

Ha, we pretty much had the same thing happen to us in log canyon about 5 years ago.
    At least people stay away from Log canyon... at least untill they bolt more routes up there.

Yae, the changes to maple break my heart. I've been going to maple since I was 5 years old, and even ten years ago, we'd be able to get down there late saturday night, and still have our pick of sites.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!