Thread: Become a human hamster

Become a human hamster

Become a human hamster!

Maybe we will have to add a new section to uutah called Zorbing.

Have a ball with a Zorb
    By Jayne Clark, USA TODAY

Andrew Akers merely wanted to walk on water. And though his attempt at omnipotence failed, he did wind up creating one of New Zealand's hottest new adventure crazes: Zorbing, a pastime that involves climbing into a giant inflatable ball and careening downhill.

The Zorb experience is available in about 10 locales worldwide. The USA is not among them, but Akers says he's exploring opportunities here.

It began this way: In the mid-'90s, Akers and friend Dwane van der Sluis were strolling along Auckland's waterfront contemplating ways to walk on water. Eight weeks later, they had developed a prototype transparent plastic ball they could stand inside. To their surprise, the thing floated, but it wasn't much fun.

Back at the drawing board, they devised a 33-foot-diameter clear plastic ball encasing a smaller sphere with a harness. By 1998, they had set up shop in Rotorua on the country's North Island, where the Zorb rolls 492 feet downhill at 20 mph for 10 to 25 seconds, depending on wind conditions. About 30,000 customers took the plunge last year, and business has grown 25% annually, Akers says.

"The thing about the Zorb is that it's funny," says Akers. "No one takes it seriously. Should you be fearful? Excited? Adrenaline-rushed? It's a really bizarre experience. But people (emerge) laughing."

Dreaming up the next new adventure is no easy feat in a nation that gave the world bungee jumping and a host of ever-more-outrageous thrill pursuits. Akers surmises that the Kiwi penchant for oddball derring-do relates to two factors: its remote location ("To be honest, 15 years ago there wasn't much to do here. We have to make our own fun.") and, more important perhaps, its non-litigious mind-set. "There's this attitude of 'Let's give things a go,' without major concern about getting sued if something goes wrong."

It hasn't, so far. Not even a case of Zorb-induced upset stomach. "No one has thrown up inside. And I have my fingers crossed because it would be pretty awful," Akers says.

More info http://zorb.com/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I saw them do this on "The Amazing Race". One episode they went to New Zealand, and one contestant had to get in and go down a hill. The hill was not very steep but the went like 1/4 mile!

I jumped off the couch and yelled: I'm going to do that some day. Alas, i have not done it yet.

I looked freakin' AWESOME!!!

Didn't they used to have that on American Gladiator?
    Let's Roll