Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Desktop layout (wallpaper image)

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    I always have trouble with this. I have my desktop picture resized to 640 X 480 and it's still 907 kb. What am I doing wrong?
    You are probably running it at 300 dpi, if you have Photoshop load up the pic and change it to 72 dpi, then your size will drop.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't have photo shop, but Paint and Irfanview both say it's 72 dpi, still at 907kb. I tried the powertool, but for some reason it doesn't completely install, or if it does, I can find it nowhere, even in Microsoft's search function. Well, I find the unextracted files easily enough, just not the program.

I tried the powertool, but for some reason it doesn't completely install, or if it does, I can find it nowhere, even in Microsoft's search function.
    With the powertool, all you have to do is right-click on the picture, and you will see the option to Resize Picture in the menu. You don't actually have to open any program to run it.

I think I've isolated the problem. Even though I saved it as a jpeg, when I look up the info it says this:

Desktop Picture.jpg
    640 x 480
    Bitmap Image

So obviously it's still a bitmap image saved as a jpeg file. Do you know how to remedy this?

If you have Photoshop (I know that's a big if-monkey), make sure you are in RGB mode, then go File>Save As...

cool topic! I like to change mine alot and you actually prompted me to change this morning, so I'll post both before and after
    Attached Images Attached Images   

So obviously it's still a bitmap image saved as a jpeg file. Do you know how to remedy this?
    You can open it up through Paint, and save it as a JPEG file. This is done as the filetype, and not only adding the ".jpg" to the end. I think it used to be that easy, but not anymore.

The default type to save as from Paint is a Bitmap. You always have to change it to a JPEG when you're saving.

Great topic!

I've been away a while but I'm finally getting back to having fun rather than just job-searching on the web. Great topic and some great pics too!
    Don

"Think where man's glory begins and ends and say that my glory was that I had such friends." - Yeats

Re: Your Desktop layout (wallpaper image)

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech

NEED INSTRUCTIONS? To take a picture of your Desktop, minimize all of your windows, then hit the "Prt Scr" (Print Screen) button. You've just copied an image of your screen. Then, open up a program such as "Paint", and paste the image there. Reduce the image size to about 800 pixels wide, Save as a .JPEG image, and throw it up here.

These instructions are for Windows only. I figured the Mac users know what they're doing.
    I totally dont get it.... (not a computer wiz) ... where is this PRT SCR button??

thanks~
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

upper right side of key board on PC's. took me a minute to find it as well.
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Re: Your Desktop layout (wallpaper image)

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    where is this PRT SCR button??

thanks~
    It's usually directly above your INSERT button.

I think I finally nailed it. My desktop picture is of my son, next to a statue of his ancestor who started the town of Thatcher, Arizona. The man who is the statue is named Christopher Layton and the city of Layton, Utah was named for him. We took the photo while visiting Thatcher once when my son had a beard like his ancestor.

Well, damn... I just cant figure it out - found the Print Screen button but I have no idea where to find a "Paint" program. Anyway, at least, here is the picture that is on my desktop:

Its from the Enchantment Lakes area in the Cascades... my husband...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Well, damn... I just cant figure it out - found the Print Screen button but I have no idea where to find a "Paint" program. [
    Here's what you do to find Paint in Windows XP: Click on START, go to ALL PROGRAMS, the ACCESSORIES. Paint should be on the list of accessories. Click on it and it should open. Once there, click edit, then paste.

Thanks! yea!! It worked!! I had a hard time figuring out how to save as a Jpeg at 800 pixels, but I did it through photohop. Geez, I really need to come into the technology world!!

Dark Canyon, near Sundance Trail:

-

nosivad_bor, that's an awesome pic. Were you able to find this formation while you were there?

http://www.moabhappenings.com/menuguide.htm
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Moab Menu guide. That's one thing I've found to be sorely lacking in Moab. And that's good food---for breakfast anyway. We drove past McDonald's so we could eat at a sit down restaurant. I can't remember the name of it, but it was north of Mc's on the west side of the street. We spent about eighteen bucks for two of us for a bad meal. I think Mc's breakfast would've been just as good at 1/3 the price. So where do they have year round goodbreakfasts in Moab?

I found myself thinking with a town as popular as Moab. there ought to be some really good restaurants for those early mornings, or after the river run nights.

I can't remember the name of it, but it was north of Mc's on the west side of the street.
    I think that is the Arches Cafe, yeah it is pretty crappy.