Thread: Zion NP Fatality

Zion NP Fatality

Details are thin right now, but there has been a death in Zion NP.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=439979

Does anybody know any more than this? My guess is Angels' Landing.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Police investigating Zion death
    By PATRICE ST. GERMAIN
    patrices@thespectrum.com

ZION NATIONAL PARK

We were down there last weekend hiking the West Rim. I was talking about how almost once a year someone falls off Angels Landing. Pretty freaky. My guess it is a matter of time before they close it off.

James

actually, i talked with bo beck about it. he's a member of zion sar. he said not that many people have actually fallen off, and it's not as big of a problem as one might think.

i expected differently. but it's good to know it's not terribly common. i doubt they'll close it off, probably just increase the warnings.

Ok, HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!?!?

Where there is a dropoff of 1200 feet, that will ensure a positively fatal fall -- here's a crazy idea: STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!

I know, I know, call me crazy...it sounds weird, I know....
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Last time this happen the scouts were daring each other to climb over the edge...... time before that the husband gave wifey a big ol shove in the back.

I have a buddy who went through a really bitter divorce.... his famous comment was "I can't believe all the times I took her deer hunting..... and brought her back".

I'm always suspicious when a wife takes flying lessons.

I was actually disappointed just a little when I got to angel's landing.

By the way everybody was explaining those chains you hold onto, I was expecting hanging on the side of the sheer cliff, and clinging to the chains. It sounded a little more extreme than what it actually was.

But, nevertheless, it is next to some tall cliffs, and the trail does go right near the edge. It is VERY easy to stay on the trail though.

Las Vegas woman dies after fall
    The Salt Lake Tribune

Dixie authorities are investigating the death of a Las Vegas woman who apparently fell 1,200 feet from Angels Landing on Tuesday morning while hiking with her husband. The woman's husband called 911, and operators contacted Zion National Park authorities about 6:30 a.m., said park spokesman Ron Terry. The body of Bernadette Vandermeer, 29, was found by search and rescue crews around 4 p.m., said Chief Deputy Rob Tersigni of the Washington County Sheriff's Office. The woman is the fifth person to die on the popular hiking trail since 1983. The last fatality occurred in 2004 when a 14-year-old boy fell, Terry said. The Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident.

Starting next spring, husband and wife couples (and even a few gay couples) will be required to wear handcuffs starting at the trailhead of Angel's Landing.

Officials feel this will reduce the number of wives pushed off of the cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Starting next spring, husband and wife couples (and even a few gay couples) will be required to wear handcuffs starting at the trailhead of Angel's Landing.

Officials feel this will reduce the number of wives pushed off of the cliff.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.