Thread: Imlay - Taming the Beast

Imlay - Taming the Beast

Finally.....Imlay was completed this past weekend. Our first attempt over a month ago involved the full Imlay, sick partners, massive rain and a tedious hike out the Sneak and Peak route. Our second attempt was thwarted by fire, and our third attempt was canceled by the backountry desk due to too much rain and falsh flood potential. In any case we left the Grotto around 4:30 Friday afternoon, hiked into the saddle between the two ridges and spent the night in a nice sandy spot just below the sandstone band and the 4th class climbing. Woke up at about 7:00 and finished the hike into the Crossroads. While suiting up a party of six began rolling in, we talked a bit then said our goodbys and headed down canyon. We made it to the break in between the exit narrows and the extreme narrows in about three hours. Our party of three was able to move very efficiently and quickly since we had a short rope in addition to the 200 footer. We were also helped by what i would guess is high water for this canyon. Since i've never been in Imlay before i have nothing to compare the water level to, but i can say all the potholes could have been defeated with the beached whale technique. I insisted that we use the hooks on the second pothole in the extreme narrows, i figured if i've hauled them all this way we're damn well going to use them. So i hooked the top of two holes visible and climbed out. The only pothole to really give us hell was a small one towards the end in the exit narrows, it didn't have any hook holes and was steep and slick. We eventually defeated it with a tricky partner assist but i imagine we could have defeated it with a pack toss as well. We kept on moving and could hear the Virgin so i thought we were getting close to the end but i knew we had one more big pothole coming up. Must have missed it since the next thing i know we are at the 2nd to last rappel and my partners yell up that the next rappel is the last one. The only thing i can think of is that last pothole must of been the pool with water lapping at a hook hole right on the rim, with an easy swim, minor beached whale move to get out. The last rapell was awesome. Overall we had perfect temperatures and perfect weather. I wore a 3/2 suit with a 2mm vest and was perfectly comfortable the entire time. I loved the technical nature of the canyon, lassoing the log, the swimming and the twisting, high walls above. I can see why Imlay is clamored so, it was a fantastic canyon with great rapells, high water, a big bang finish, and a lot of problem solving. I'm glad we could finally defeat her since she has been haunting my dreams since we hiked out of her. Pictures to follow as soon as I get them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice to meet you three. I am one of the six who were on your tail on Saturday. I'll post my report and pics a little later. I agree with you about the perfect day and perfect weather. Great canyon but not as extreme as it was a few weeks ago when the last report was posted prior to the big rains you hiked out of. I look forward to more of your perspective and your photos.
    Life is Good

When Imlay is full, the only thing I can compare it to is a great big water park for adults.

Lots of fun!! Thanks for the TR -- lookin forward to the photos!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.