Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of a LSR attempt.

Anatomy of a LSR attempt.

The JCB Dieselmax car is attempting to set the Landspeed Record for a diesel powered car. Below are the team diaries, which will give you an insider view into what is involved in attempting to set a record. The English team is based locally out at the Wendover air field for Speedweek.

12 August 2006
    WENDOVER AIRFIELD - UtahTime: 20:45 (US)

Temperature: 30
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WOW!! what a gripping story ... interesting troubleshooting.

i am dying to find out the outcome. how many more days/tries do they have before it's all for naught? till friday evening?
    or is friday evening, more accurately, the moment of truth?

Actually they have until Friday morning, since Friday afternoon is reserved for the return run of record attempts. So the team is up against the clock in more ways then one.

15 August 2006
    BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS - UTAHTime: 22:10 (US)

Temperature: 29

For those playing along at home.... If you haven't figured it out yet..... You kind of need to follow the dates for this all to make sense because you are sometimes reading the same story from three perspectives.

For the most part you are reading "The Team Log", The project engineer (Dr. Tim Leverton) diary and driver Andy Green's diary.

You have me hooked!

I am not normally into this kind of stuff but I can't wait to hear what happens.

I'm not exactly sure what happened on the salt yesterday. I don't think the JCB Team made a run because I have heard nothing from them. It appears that only return record runs were held. (to set an LSR you must make two runs, in opposite directions. The average of the two runs is your speed.)

I do know that the "Chassis Engineering Special", who is also competing for the same LSR as the JCB team, was successful is setting a new LSR, but I'm not sure how fast it is. I was told it was 226.591 mph but that doesn't seem correct because I know their speed for the 3rd mile of the return run was 303.835 mph. Their "down" run was 309.798 mph the day before, so the record should now be 306.817 mph.....

Dang..... I'm waiting to hear, time is running out. Really you need a "down" run today that will allow you to take a shot at the record tomorrow.

16 August 2006
    BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS - UTAHTime: 22:15 (US)

Temperature: 31

Couple of pictures.

i got to watch them run today
    IIRC they hit a 308 speed at mile 3....?

at 300mph, you could barely hear those diesels running.
    it was a creepy quiet running vehicle.

Damn speed week is fun

i'm a sucker for the old stuff though

17 August 2006
    Dr. TIM LEVERTON - Bonneville Salt Flats, 12.15 am (US)308.622mph

I just heard the JCB Dieselmax team plans to stay on the salt to the end of the month in their quest to set the diesel LSR.

17 August 2006
    JCB DIESELMAX EXCEEDS 300mph

JCB DIESELMAX moved a step closer to its ultimate goal and realised more of its potential as Andy Green exceeded 300 mph for the first time on the Bonneville Salt Flats today.

Running late in the afternoon, just before five o

18 August 2006
    JCB DIESELMAX POWERS TO BONNEVILLE SPEED RECORD

The international diesel land-speed record for diesel-powered vehicles moved a step closer today as the JCB DIESELMAX broke the Bonneville Salt Flats course record with a measured-mile speed of 317.021mph.

Having already achieved a recorded average speed over a measured mile of 308mph in the late afternoon of Thursday 17 August, the JCB DIESELMAX needed to complete a second run within 24 hours at least matching this speed in order to take the record.

Today the second run was completed successfully achieving an average speed of 325mph. The average speed of the two runs was thus recorded as 317mph, thus establishing the JCB DIESELMAX as the fastest-ever diesel over the Bonneville course.

happy timely ending ... sweeeeet!

it must be crezy drivin' at those speeds

well, i'm sure the brits partied pretty hard last night

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    it must be crezy drivin' at those speeds
    I heard a large banging sound when Andy Green walked

18 August 2006
    ANNIE BERRISFORD - Bonneville Salt Flats 2:12PM (US)Well after feeling our luck was down at the beginning of the week a whole bunch of black cats would have been useful, however it seems to be that black Labradors do the trick too!!! Just before our RECORD BREAKING run, one walked out in front of the car on the start line

19 August 2006
    WENDOVER AIRFIELD - UTAHTime: 20:45 (US)

Temperature: 30

21 August 2006
    Bonneville Salt Flats - UTAHTime: 17:55 (US)

Temperature: 33

NOTE: To set a World FIA record the vehicle must make two runs in opposite directions in less then one hour.

22 August 2006
    WORLD'S FASTEST DIESEL - Bonneville Salt Flats, UtahTime: 15:55 (US)

Temperature: 37