Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyon College

Canyon College

Last summer we did an evening training session in Draper called "Canyoneering 101" that was a big hit. It was really just a friendly get-together of about 20 people who were interested in getting started in technical canyoneering or to learn new technics and practice some old fundamentals. We were fortunate that some really talented individuals showed up to help out and answer questions. This is usually referred to as the "mentor approach" and is the traditional method of learning canyoneering and rock climbing.

Anyhoo.... I was considering holding anther friendly get-together if there is enough interest.

So.... any interest?
    What would you like to learn-know-practice?
    Maybe you are a hiker who is interested in stepping up to the next level?
    When would be a good time to hold a meet?
    Any thoughts, ideas, input?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'd be interested, it would definitely be worth the drive up to the SLC area for me. I hike a lot and have rappelled only a couple of times, so I'd be interested in learning some basics.

I am totally in, will even bring gatorade
    I am good for any nights or weekends.

I would like to learn more about rappelling and techniques of getting out of stucky situations, such as keepers and potholes. I understand the principal of the "monkey stretch" and wedge crawling from the last trip and practice makes it perfect for that. But the more technical stuff should really be learned first

So count me in....

I would like the same as Kazak, I have been rapelling several times and have lots of gear, done a few slots but need more info to go bigger and deeper.

hey shane, count me in, i can even help out if you need it.
    this would be a great opportunity to get my folks to practice their rope tech.

ok being self serving here, but thurs-sat night work best for me (if that helps narrow down a day/date)

Count me in as well. I will try to fit my schedule around what ever day you come up with. I would like to learn more about constructing natural anchors, and all of the above.

You know I would love to be there. For any and all topics and of course the fun people. It's just so stinkin' far up there so Saturday would be the best for me and even then I'm pretty booked for the next few weekends. sigh.... Close to the canyons - far from everything else........

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by LJ
    You know I would love to be there. For any and all topics and of course the fun people. It's just so stinkin' far up there so Saturday would be the best for me and even then I'm pretty booked for the next few weekends. sigh.... Close to the canyons - far from everything else........

LJ
    You could carpool with someone from that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak

LJ
    I live in southern utah as well. Sounds interesting and carpooling is always a good option.

I could come along with my new drill.

sounds fun. when ever you hold it, i'd show if able. evenings, every other saturday, or all sundays are good for me. don't have anything in particular i am interested in, maybe the guided rap set up, or ways to tie off mid rap for hands free so i can, for example, untwist the pack strap that has become entangled in my rope below me. or how to go from descend to ascend mid rap, or techniques for descending or ascending a rope to aid someone on said rope in case emergency arises. but other than that...
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by knoxdelion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazak

LJ
    I live in southern utah as well. Sounds interesting and carpooling is always a good option.
    I'm in for carpooling! Makes the drive go faster and easier on the wallet. Still hard during the week getting the time off so fingers crossed for a weekend (in September).

I'd try to come if I am free. I can help with whatever, or if you don't need help I'll just socialize and practice some skills. When school starts my schedule can get crazy, pick a day and I'll tell you if I can be there or not.

Eric.

I'm in. I missed the one last year as I couldn't escape work.

I volunteer grim to come out and help out with the class!

Hey guys.... I haven't given up on this, its just that I'm up to my ass in alligators at the moment.

I'll try and pick/post a date in the near future.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    That must hurt........

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

I'm definitely interested. Wife would come too.

Let us know when you narrow down a time and date.

thanks for offering Shane.

I am interested as well. Unfortunately I would only be able to make it on a Fri/Sat/Sun evening.
    --If you're not living your life on the edge,
    you're taking up too much space!

So what's the latest on this?