Thread: Firefox and Flash Plugins

Firefox and Flash Plugins

Has anybody been experiencing difficulty getting flash players/media players to play correctly online, especially for Firefox users?

I'm thinking Java has something to do with it, but lately, I can't play any Putfile.com video OR audio. The same thing goes with Break.com.

I always have to open up the link in Internet Explorer to get them to work.

If I'm in Firefox, I get the image attached below. And when I click either on the puzzle piece, or the yellow bar above, I get the "failed" notice.

If it was just at home, I would guess that it was on my end, but it seems to be happening at work also. Anybody else?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I definitely get those problems. I'm on a Mac though, and firefox is much better than Safari.

Price
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    I definitely get those problems. I'm on a Mac though, and firefox is much better than Safari.

Price

hey price, you on a mac? you should use CAMINO. camino is made by mozilla and is their browser for mac. it has hybrid features of firefox and safari. but the important thing is that they have it tuned to work better with a mac than firefox. many of your problems could be eliminated if you switch over. give it a try and see if it works for you.

for example. i always had a hard time getting firefox to work with windows media player. but camino has ZERO problems. [on mac]

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

Yeah I use FF on my Mac with no issues. Safari is another story. The image bar on this site shows up in the wrong place with Safari.

Re: Firefox and Flash Plugins

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Has anybody been experiencing difficulty getting flash players/media players to play correctly online, especially for Firefox users?

I always have to open up the link in Internet Explorer to get them to work.
    so i had no problem either with the flash player or windows media on the balancing point with firefox on mac.

but IE has to be the worst browser security-wise. it's good you're trying to move to a more secure browser. hope someone can help you from the windows side with this problem.... damn plugins. did it not work to use wmp instead of flash?

It looks like it might be a problem with Windows Media Player's integration with Firefox. Break.com uses javascript to embed the WMV file, but after that Media Player should take over and play the video. Do you have the latest versions of Media Player and Firefox? Other than making sure you're up-to-date, I'm not sure what else you could try.

well, i should rescind part of my initial post against firefox(for mac), as i realize since october, they have improved the plug-in support on mac. there were problems before that they acknowledged. but it seems they've ironed out quite a few of them.

here are some of the differences in short

Both Firefox and Camino are based off Mozilla and utilize the Gecko rendering engine. However, they are very different beasts. Firefox is a cross-platform browser that is highly extensible and the second most popular browser in the world (second, of course, to IE, though the gap is narrowing). However, the current versions (both 1.5.0.x and 2.0 beta) are built in Carbon; subsequently, it does not have access to such things as Keychain, spell check, native widgets, etc*. Overall, it just feels a little ungainly on the Mac.

Camino, on the other hand, is 100% Mac-only, built from the scratch in Cocoa. It feels like a Mac app, and the current build supports all of the Mac OS X niceties, save for spell checking. Plus, the interface and rendering are all a little speedier than Ff. However, it doesn't support the bazillions of themes and extensions available for Firefox.

the rendering speeds are slight, but somewhat apparent ... here's some statistics from http://internet.newsforge.com/articl.../03/20/1438230

>] aak ... why does this space appear below??!! [<

<table border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0">
    <tr>
    <td>Browser</td>

<td>text display time</td>
    <td>load time</td>
    <tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Camino</td>
    <td>0.727sec</td>
    <td>3.167sec</td>
    <tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Firefox</td>
    <td>0.818sec</td>

<td>4.144sec</td>
    <tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Safari</td>
    <td>1.260sec</td>
    <td>3.158sec</td>
    <tr>
    </table>
    After two hours of browsing the exact same pages, the PowerBook's Activity Monitor reported memory usage of 33.75MB for Camino, 34.78MB for Safari, and 45.23MB for Firefox.

Yeah FF can be a bit of a memory hog. I am not sure what that space is all about?

yeah, before when i made a couple of tables, there was a small space, but this is excessive. i'll have to play around with it some more later.

Well, since my most recent FF update a few days ago, my Yahoo email account has been locking up periodically. I'm not technically savvy enough to know if it's related, but something sure seems fishy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    >] aak ... why does this space appear below??!! [<
    That's exactly what I'd like to know. I've been trying to get rid of the dead space on my Bike Videos thread, and the Funny Movies Thumbs. Something to do with the cells. The more rows you have, the bigger the dead space gets.

something in the way the code for this site interprets html code. hmm. well, ultimately
    it should be debugged .... acca, you up to the task?