Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wonder why cavers are so secretive?

Is a moderator even necessary for the caving threads? Not much goes on here. LOL

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    Is a moderator even necessary for the caving threads? Not much goes on here. LOL
    One of the goals for a moderator is to bring traffic, so yes. Editing and managing content is a secondary "job description".

One of the goals for a moderator is to bring traffic
    Through spamming, right?

One of the goals for a moderator is to bring traffic
    Through spamming, right?
    Well, a couple of years ago, that's what I did, it's all I knew. Now I hate to use that method.

For Mtn Biking, I'm a member of a lot of biking forums, so my name's out there. I just try to represent Utah, and make it look like uutah.com isn't an "enemy" forum. I don't think uutah will be the ultimate mountain biking forum, it's just a great Utah forum for multiple Utah activities.

More of a network of information, rather than a competitor. This is why we welcome people plugging their own blogs and websites here.

Through spamming, right?

And don't forget tricking gullible people into opening their membership files.

Actually..... whenever a section has a moderator who cares the traffic goes way up. A moderator who is hooked into the particular subject posts news stories and important info about the activity. And also points noob's in a direction to find answers to their questions.... I think the ultimate goal is to have at least one moderator for each topic.

So Jumar, ya want a job?

So Jumar, ya want a job?

Hmmm....
    Spencer knows a hecka lot more about Utah caving than I do, but I'd give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by caverspencer
    Maybe you could say im gullible and that would explain my tone on UTAG.
    You were actually made a moderator here. The announcement was made and everything. Your name was displayed under the caving topic.

Then you became a classified inactive member. UUtah needs moderators to be active, provide good info, and maintain some healthy traffic.
    I was gone for 2 weeks and that is classified as inactive? This is an outdoors forum right? Shouldnt we be allowed to go out and enjoyed the spring warmth? Just becasue I dont log in doesn't mean I dont check the site. I never saw there ever being a moderator here OR on the climbers forum until today. Where was the announcement made?

I waited paitiently for you to keep your promises, all I got was hate mail from people being spammed. After almost a month I sent the three of you an email and several others in the weeks to follow that were never answered. Not sure what I did to piss you guys off but I lost a lot of trust from a lot of people because of it.
    I'm not lost... I'm just GeoCaching

Bogley BigShot
    Maybe you could say im gullible and that would explain my tone on UTAG.
    You were actually made a moderator here. The announcement was made and everything. Your name was displayed under the caving topic.

Then you became a classified inactive member. UUtah needs moderators to be active, provide good info, and maintain some healthy traffic.
    I was gone for 2 weeks and that is classified as inactive? This is an outdoors forum right? Shouldnt we be allowed to go out and enjoyed the spring warmth? Just becasue I dont log in doesn't mean I dont check the site. I waited paitiently for you to keep your promises, all I got was hate mail from people being spammed. After almost a month I sent the three of you an email and several others in the weeks to follow that were never answered. Not sure what I did to piss you off but I lost a lot of trust from a lot of people because of it.
    I thought everyone kissed and made up.

Whew! Now I am exhausted!

Is that a record for the most used emiticons in one post?
    LOL

Bogley BigShot
    Is that a record for the most used emiticons in one post?
    LOL
    If someone wants to fight ..... I can fight as good as I can do other stuff.

I waited paitiently for you to keep your promises, all I got was hate mail from people being spammed.
    This is the 6th time I've heard about these "broken promises". You keep saying you never received an email....

I've got some bad news for you, I still have the email on record, sent April 7th, notifying you that you have been made moderator.

Your next response was in May. So 1 month, not two. I've still got the emails.

So, should we be complaining about broken promises? Nah. We've got nothing against you, we just want a moderator.

Bogley BigShot
    Does this mean we get to have another love fest Scott!

I waited paitiently for you to keep your promises, ..... hate mail.... spammed.... three of you.... I lost a lot of trust.....
    WOW..... nothing like cryin' over spilt milk. I see no value in it.

Spencer, you are welcome to contribute anything you deem of value to this forum. Having your knowledge around uutah is an asset.

I waited paitiently for you to keep your promises, all I got was hate mail from people being spammed.
    This is the 6th time I've heard about these "broken promises". You keep saying you never received an email....

I've got some bad news for you, I still have the email on record, sent April 7th, notifying you that you have been made moderator.

Your next response was in May. So 1 month, not two. I've still got the emails.

So, should we be complaining about broken promises? Nah. We've got nothing against you, we just want a moderator.
    You sent me an saying it had been done. From you not the site. I have the email as well.

Expecting you just had to click on something at UUtah that hadnt been done yet I went on with my life. Then after waiting I sent you the email asking why it hadnt been done. Did you ever respond to that?

That's not the problem though. The problem was my mistake of opening up and trusting a stranger. It ended in a lot of hate mail sent to me by people who had trusted me that were now getting spam telling them to join here. You had what you needed from me, my membership list which I keep closed for that very reason. I dont think you ever wanted me as a moderator, you just wanted my memberhsip list so you could email them. Many of them are probably very happy here now, and good for them. But many of them also sent me hate mail. Unlike most Yahoo Groups I change my setting to NOT show the membership list and people expected me to keep it that way and that their email addresses were safe. My mistake for opening it up.

You want to keep dragging this petty little debate on then why did you never responded to my May 1 email explaining the situation? Or any email I sent after that? You had my membership lists you didnt need or want my help anymore...

We had your membership lists because you do not lock and hide your membership on Yahoo Groups. We had your memberships list and were spamming your membership long before you were offered the Mod. Your membership list and your mod status were two separate and unrelated issues.

Your groups were spammed because at the time we were hitting all Yahoo outdoor groups.

You never opened any of your Yahoo Groups up to us as a Mod.

You were originally offered the uutah Mod because it was deemed you would be an asset to uutah.

The uutah Mod offer was with drawn when you failed to show up and failed to become an asset.

It is what it is.... as always there are two sides to every story. Thanks for repeating yours a half dozen times.

Now stop whining, you are beginning to sound a lot like a jilted lover. Yup, we slept with ya and than didn't call you in the morning. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Now stop whining, you are beginning to sound a lot like a jilted lover. Yup, we slept with ya and than didn't call you in the morning. Get over it.
    At least a reacharound?

I just checked the setting and the memberships lists are NOT visible to members. I wont argue wither or not you were able to spam other groups that way or not. I have no doubt you did. I also have no doubt the only reason you offered me to be a part of UUtah was to get access to my group. The only way you got access to the membership lists was when I made you a moderator with the agreement we were going to migrate over to UUtah. Two of you were moderators there from April 17th until May 3rd when I demoted you after you failed to keep your promises or reply to my emails. That is the only time you had access to the membership list there, and the moderator activity is there to prove it.
    But like you said, during that time you "slept with me and than didn't call in the morning" You got what you needed and didn't need me anymore.

Regardless, you now finally acknowledged my original complaint about UUtah. That was how you went about building you membership by spamming all the other groups you could find and destroying them. That all my original comment was on UTAG was, go back and read it. Here is what it said:

" I have been biting my tongue too long on this one. Time to give my 2 cents

I'm with Mockba about the Spam thing. I have seen the UUtah creaters try and take over and eliminate other forums all in the name of increasing their own website hits to sell advertising.

I think its a great site, but the way they are going about building their membership is not good and I will not support it. "

Then it was all blown out or proportion. People got offened because I stated the truth and that I knew how Mockba felt about UUtah methods to build the site.

So you have admitted that you built your site by spamming other groups. That is all I was trying to say in the start..

Enough said.....