Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pot holes tecniques

pot holes tecniques

did bunch of canyon with sweetheart and running man over the weekend of the 4th
    here some good shot of dealing with the pothole in good day jim
    was way cool to stand on RC shoulders
    fun fun
    is nice to have such a stud canyoneer bf
    Attached Images Attached Images        

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

First time I did GDJ the pothole was only about 4 or 5 feet deep and was easy to climb out of. If you look carefully at the picture below you can see the top of Joe Wrona's head sticking above the rim.

That's Barb P. downclimbing. This picture is taken downstream looking back up at the pothole.

Shows how much things can change.

Cool pics and commentary!

How do you climb out? Just freehanding the rope or do you use an ascending device?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Cool pics and commentary!

How do you climb out? Just freehanding the rope or do you use an ascending device?
    no we did not use use any ascender
    just strong shoulders of boyfriend

is a nice things for pothole escape!!!
    not stinky ascenders needed

Ya, but after you climbed out, set up an anchor and then does your boyfriend climb out just freehanding the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Ya, but after you climbed out, set up an anchor and then does your boyfriend climb out just freehanding the line?
    i got down the other side
    i when on the ground i weighted the rope trough
    my belay device plus poth shot attach to me weight 120lb+ 20lb=140lbs

boyfriend stayed in the pothole =180lb and he weighetd the other end of rope
    with this system the third person just go across the pothole whithout getting into it and when he reached me
    i put boyfriend on belay and he just climb the lip using the weighted rope as help to get to the overhang

we use only one potshot and was not enough friction to hold a full body weight

but we knew that boyfriend is strong enough to toss me on the other side of the lip
    but before i was over the lip we still left the third person at the rappel in case we need to go up and trow the potshot or using a different system

that's really interesting shane about the depth of the pothole when you first did the canyon.

i like the different ways this pothole has been dealt with. i took a sampling of images from eric's video when we did the canyon at the beginning of january.
    to one end of the rope was tied a potshot, nat is rappelling down the other half of the rope. he places his left foot on the lip of the pothole,
    then pulls himself up, using the other rope. no easy task as the stretch is a bit far, and you need to slowly let the brake off for slack.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yeah, always good to have the uutah goddess along. Beautiful, strong, fun, and light...

From the shoulder stand, I lifted her by her ankles off my shoulders while she mantled out.

Looked like a pretty hard mantle. Once she was out, I upclimbed the upcanyon side of the pothole and traversed/climbed across with the rope. 1/2 full, this pothole could be fairly hard. First time I did GDJ, I came down the next small fork to the east, which dumps in about 100 meters below the keeper, and makes a nice way to avoid the keeper. No raps in the other fork, but a few downclimbs.

Amazing how much these canyons change.
    RC

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    that's really interesting shane about the depth of the pothole when you first did the canyon.
    Folks kept talking about the difficult pothole in GDJ. I thought they were just weak canyoneers. I mean really, how hard is it to climb out of a 4' pothole.

I was really surprised when I saw what had happened to the pothole since my previous visit. Also probably some type of warning in here about always go prepared or something like that.....

Haha... yeah, from your description I was expecting a pretty casual affair, especially since I had done the other fork previously with no pothole problems.

If memory serves, this is the first rap with no major downclimbs above, so people could probably retreat easily if needed. Just don't pull your rope until your out of the hole....

i like the different ways this pothole has been dealt with. i took a sampling of images from eric's video when we did the canyon at the beginning of january.
    to one end of the rope was tied a potshot, nat is rappelling down the other half of the rope. he places his left foot on the lip of the pothole,
    then pulls himself up, using the other rope. no easy task as the stretch is a bit far, and you need to slowly let the brake off for slack.
    At first i was very impress of how you deal with the pothole
    but after i talked to BF and he knew Nat, and he said that Nat is a 5.13 climber!!!!!
    that make HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!
    i do not think average canyoneer can do that
    is a pretty wide damn hole and penalty points can be at least some broken bones!!!!
    my version is the easy one!!!

just carry a potshot and a strong shoulder man and pothole is done!!!
    by the way the secon pothole in good day gym is ok if dry and 2 people other wise you can walk across on top
    leave a man up in case people have to climb back up
    the lip is too smooth and low angle for potshot and the toss can be pretty high

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    nat is rappelling down ...then pulls himself up, using the other rope. no easy task as the stretch is a bit far, and you need to slowly let the brake off for slack.
    At first i was very impress of how you deal with the pothole
    but after i talked to BF and he knew Nat, and he said that Nat is a 5.13 climber!!!!!
    so now you're not impressed ...

well i was impressed ... and i DID say that it was no easy task. i approached it the same way Nat did, inching my way over and getting my foot up on the lip and making the first move to get up, at which point nat and eric grabbed on and helped me up. without their help i would have fallen back into the chute, but not into the pothole as i was still on rappel. it may be hard to tell, but Nat was also on rappel the whole time as well.

just carry a potshot and a strong shoulder man and pothole is done!!!

Lets see. Shane finds it to be 4 feet deep and you find it to be dry and 12 feet deep or so. I have found it filled in, nearly to the top, 6 feet down to the water and a swimmer and 18 feet deep and dry. Seems that we have a place that changes a lot and can get pretty burly. I saw Steve Levin climb across, but he has also done 40 ascents, many 1st ascents, of the Diamond on Longs Peak. He called it hard 11. Saw Stevie B do a frightening "launch" up the side of the wall, coming to a momentary stop, 8 feet up the wall, then slide down to the other lip, no problem. He did this without warning anyone. Wild. I saw Roylnn do it the way Nat did it, except she was being lowered, rather than on rap, which has the advantage of freeing up the rap hand and eliminating rapping too low. We alway set an easy tyrolian for everyone else. It was also mentioned that this was the first tough spot and that retreat is easy...sort of. There is a 10 foot optional rap, about....maybe 60 yards back? Anyway, one can peek the pothole problem, while the higher problem remains fixed. Another reminder that change is the constant.
    Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    Lets see. Shane finds it to be 4 feet deep and you find it to be dry and 12 feet deep or so. I have found it filled in, nearly to the top, 6 feet down to the water and a swimmer and 18 feet deep and dry. Seems that we have a place that changes a lot and can get pretty burly.
    wild

Saw Stevie B do a frightening "launch" up the side of the wall, coming to a momentary stop, 8 feet up the wall, then slide down to the other lip, no problem. He did this without warning anyone.
    he did WHAT? okay, so i am confused which way he went, i have drawn on an image 2 pairs of arrows, i am guessin' it's gotta be 1, since that pothole is rather large to jump across (unless you're the REAL spiderman). but i don't have a good image that shows where he would have started from, to jump across, to ensure that "no problem" sliding to the other lip as opposed to possibly sliding in the pothole. could you enlighten. second of all, i am sure steveeB knows what he's doing, but when you're with a group, shouldn't you always warn the group or at least the leaders of the group what you intend to do? even crazy climbers do this?

We alway set an easy tyrolian for everyone else.
    i like this idea ... with the opposite anchor being human and/or multiple potshot?

he did WHAT? okay, so i am confused which way he went, i have drawn on an image 2 pairs of arrows, i am guessin' it's gotta be 1,

He did WHAT!!! indeed. #1 is the way he went, except he went a lot higher and further, up to and on top of the broken feature,in the picture, on the ridge, leading down to where the potshot is located, in the picture. From up there, he stop momentarily, then slide down casually. It was an awesome athletic move, but real out there. He did share his plan with the leader. He was the leader. I told him he should have run it by us, as someone might have moved, expectantly and gotten in the way. A bit reckless, but it was over before any discussion could occur. The apex of your #1 diagram is about the height which Levin traversed over. So delicate, so controlled and smooth. Like poetry. He was on a loose belay, as if.....
    As for the Tyrolean....we set up a double rope rap, from the boulders, 20 feet back, on the up canyon side of the potrhole and the fellow who solves the problem ties both ends to his harness and slips over the substantial downcanyon lip and lays down, fully weighting it. Then we clip a locker over both ropes, attached to a daisy, girthed to our harnesses and with good feet, batman along the rope to the other side. Once all are over, pull the rope
    Ram

indeed. #1 is the way he went, except he went a lot higher and further, up
    Dang.....

I'm not sure if I should cheer or just mutter "Dumbass"

Reminds me of a time climbing in the Tetons when my partner made a magnificent unannounced lunge move over a precipice that was in our path. Only problem is we were climbing in coils (roped together but no belay).

After I finished cheering his great athletic move I proceeded to kick his ass for endangering me without my knowledge.

is the way he went, except he went a lot higher and further, up to and on top of the broken feature,in the picture, on the ridge, leading down to where the potshot is located, in the picture.
    okay, i kinda figured this, as it would seem that you could potentially slide into the pothole otherwise. actually i had the arrows drawn more as you suggest (though not high enough since the image is downlower) ... i guess you could call me a flipflopper

so does this image describe it more accurately?

The apex of your #1 diagram is about the height which Levin traversed over. So delicate, so controlled and smooth. Like poetry. He was on a loose belay, as if.....
    WOW!

As for the Tyrolean....
    cool! thanks for the description!!

These "matrix" moves work great, until they don't. Saw a bud of Stevie B's in Greece that had miscued from one of these stunts. Ouch.

But, talent in motion, no doubt. Like dropping into a steep ski line, sight unseen.

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    These "matrix" moves work great, until they don't.

How much water was in the pothole when Stevee did this?