Thread: Cheesebox (west fork)

Cheesebox (west fork)

Who: Justin (Rockgremlin), Jess (Icthys), Shane (Ice), Alex (Kazak), and Dan (friend from Monticello).

When: Saturday August 5

Weather: Clear in the morning, mostly sunny into the afternoon, high 80s.

Bugs: Some black gnats up top, and some mosquitoes in the slot. Not too bad though.

Water: Cheesebox is VERY WET right now!!!! Water is mostly clean, with hardly any plant matter.

Raps: Two. One is about 25 feet, the other about 40 feet.

I was very impressed with this canyon. I thought it might be an average canyon, but with all of the water, it was a romp! There is a good mix of downclimb, stem, rappel, walk, swim, wade, repeat. After the tight section, it opens up to a very beautiful canyon, with big walls and trees. Everyone got wet up to their necks except for Dan (the monkey), who somehow figured out a way to climb over every single swimmer in the canyon except for one very wide pothole.

Here's a few pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images                  
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

enjoyed the pix man!

hmm ... southeastern utah in the summer, who WOUDLN"T wanna get in the water ?!?!

It was pretty darn cold man!

Cool TR, Justin, thanks

Caption this photo:

"Don't come in here, I just peed."

Nice TR & pics, thanks! So, how long did Cheesebox take? Did anyone else wish they had a shorty/farmer john wetsuit?

Quote Originally Posted by utidcapaco
    Nice TR & pics, thanks! So, how long did Cheesebox take? Did anyone else wish they had a shorty/farmer john wetsuit?
    I think it took us about 5 hours, could have been done in 4.

I was never cold and didn't have any neo on.

It took us 5 1/2 hours trailhead to trailhead.

Cheese was completely topped off with water. Three of us skipped wetsuits, two wore them. No one got cold. We were in water nearly continually from the minute we dropped in until the exit. You know the type of water I am talking about..... where even the normally dry hallways are filled with knee deep water. Near the bottom of the canyon the water was of real poor quality and we all climbed over this section, class 4. I don't think the canyon had flashed, I think it rain just enough to fill everything up. It looked like the rain had happened Thrusday night or Friday sometime.

Two of the down climbs were really interesting. Major exposure to get to where you can climb down. We did the route in two rappels. I think we could have down climbed one more rap but with big penalty points. We used the rope, no reason to get hurt in the middle of no-where. I mean if there were women around to impress we would have downclimbed it, but with just dudes we took the safe route

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    It took us 5 1/2 hours trailhead to trailhead.

Cheese was completely topped off with water. Three of us skipped wetsuits, two wore them. No one got cold. We were in water nearly continually from the minute we dropped in until the exit. You know the type of water I am talking about..... where even the normally dry hallways are filled with knee deep water. Near the bottom of the canyon the water was of real poor quality and we all climbed over this section, class 4. I don't think the canyon had flashed, I think it rain just enough to fill everything up. It looked like the rain had happened Thrusday night or Friday sometime.

Two of the down climbs were really interesting. Major exposure to get to where you can climb down. We did the route in two rappels. I think we could have down climbed one more rap but with big penalty points. We used the rope, no reason to get hurt in the middle of no-where. I mean if there were women around to impress we would have downclimbed it, but with just dudes we took the safe route

next time i will show up
    sorry guys i missed you
    i was climbing in idaho
    and brrrr
    that seems a little cold for my bikini-time!!!!

shane let me know if there are any trips around october
    i wreally would like to get in your pictures again!!!

Hey!!!

Did you mean in HIS picutres or WITH him in pictures????

Most of those pics here are taken with my trusty W10 cam! Especially the one of Shane peeing in the water

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Especially the one of Shane peeing in the water
    I wasn't peeing..... I was seeing how deep the water was

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Hey!!!

Did you mean in HIS picutres or WITH him in pictures????

Most of those pics here are taken with my trusty W10 cam! Especially the one of Shane peeing in the water
    check his websit for fatman misery in zion area
    i love posing for pictures!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    i love posing for pictures!!!
    Hesse

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I wasn't peeing..... I was seeing how deep the water was
    The deeper it is the more pee you can fit into it without getting caught!

Ice, do you plan to post this canyon on Climb-Utah.com any time soon?

Ice, do you plan to post this canyon on Climb-Utah.com any time soon?
    I'll try and get it up today...... It's all written up, just haven't had time to post it.

You must have a mind like a steel trap to be able to fly through a route like you do and then remember it well enough to write a comprehensive trip report! I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks, huh?

I usually write notes and make maps before the trip for my own personal use. Then when I complete the trip I correct the notes and map to reflect what I actually saw and experinaced. I try to update my notes within one hour of completeing a route.

I also use my camera to help record the trip. By taking pictures of each rappel or major obstacale it helps me remember without having to actually take notes while in the canyon.

And here it is..........

Cheesebox Canyon Route Description
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/cheesebox.htm

nice.

and commendations on the crypto-disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    and commendations on the crypto-disclaimer
    Education Baby!!!!!