Thread: Sierra Nevadas - Cottonwood Lakes - July '06

Sierra Nevadas - Cottonwood Lakes - July '06

Thought I'd post some pics and a little TR on our recent trip to the Sierra Nevadas to fish for some Golden Trout. We go every year in the second week of July. It seems to be the best time since the the lakes just finished thawing and the fish are hungry.

Cottonwood Lakes is about 4-5 miles south of Mt. Whitney outside of Lone Pine in California. We started hiking from Horshoe Meadow at about 9,000 ft and finish at Cottonwood Lake #3 at 11,100 ft. We usually stay for 4 nights and five days. On this past trip we averaged about 30-40 fish a day. As you'll see in the pics they are all the elusive Golden Trout which in my opinion is the most beautiful of them all and can only be found in the Golden Trrout Wilderness inside the John Muir Wilderness. The average size of the trout was about 8-12" with a the real small ones down below in Horseshoe Meadow and the big ones (up to 18"-24") up in Lake 5. There are 5 lakes surrounded by granite peaks. We each took one fly rod and one spinning rig. The fly rod is fabulous in the evening and for the creeks in between the lakes, while the spinning rig allows you to probe the depths for the "mobies." The temerature ranged from 38 at night to about 73 in the day. We had a great time and really enjoyed the beauty of the place.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images                 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like a fun and a cold trip. Thanks for the TR! A pic for the bar?

Beautiful!! I have never seen trout that vivid!

Awesome!! Thanks for the pics man...

beautiful fish !

the high sierra is a magical place. i spent 7 days tooting around dumbbell lakes, lake basin and amphitheater basin one year. nice...
    signature

Wow, that looks like fun. I have yet to hook a golden. Those are beautiful fish. Is it a tough hike? I might try getting up to Wind rivers for sme golden action next year. Tight lines.

So, you were catching them out of that little stream, huh? Pretty cool. Thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenlicken
    Wow, that looks like fun. I have yet to hook a golden. Those are beautiful fish. Is it a tough hike? I might try getting up to Wind rivers for sme golden action next year. Tight lines.
    Not too tough. Gains about 2,000 ft in about 4 miles, the problem comes with the 40 pound pack and the elevation. The trail is a wide, horse poop covered, crushed granite trail. Like a freeway. Hikes along the stream the whole way. Lots of fun. Thats why we go back every year.

Sounds like easier access than fishing for Golden in the Wind Rivers. Aren't the Sierra's and the Winds the only places you can even find Golden Trout? They are native to the Sierras, and transplanted to the Winds since the habitat is similar? Am I right? Anyone know?

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125
    Sounds like easier access than fishing for Golden in the Wind Rivers. Aren't the Sierra's and the Winds the only places you can even find Golden Trout? They are native to the Sierras, and transplanted to the Winds since the habitat is similar? Am I right? Anyone know?

Eric.
    Nah, they are scattered around Utah. Someone else can answer where...I know they are in Trial Lake.

Eric.
    I thought that the Golden populations outside the Kern Drainage & the Golden Trout Wilderness had died out &/or interbred with another species. I could be wrong but if i remember correctly a few years ago we were looking into trying to catch them somewhere else and found that they pretty much only remained in the above mentioned areas. I could be wrong, though..... it would be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca

Eric.
    Nah, they are scattered around Utah. Someone else can answer where...I know they are in Trial Lake.
    Sorry, I am high...I was thinking Tiger trout.. Golden trout don't live in Utah..perhaps very illusive?

nice, it's definitely a beautiful area up there. i dig the photo of the dead foxtail pine. nice!!