Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harness???

Harness???

I guess I kind of grew out of my old harness. The legs feel pretty tight (is it suppose to be tight?) So I might swing by REI tonight to pick up a new harness.

Any suggestions on the make or what to look for? I would like to spend under 50 bucks for now.

Thanks... patiently waiting a reply...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here is the harness I recommend for canyoneering

Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness
    http://www.rei.com/product/47635795.htm?vcat=REI_SEARCH

It's $29 bucks at REI.

It's the harness I use

Thanks man, I am off to the store then. Anything else I should get for now? I have a carabeiner (just one) and a belay similiar to this:
    http://www.rei.com/product/979.htm?vcat=REI_SEARCH though mine might be old or something, it's blue color and it's a hallow inside no divider...

REI still sells harnesses???? I thought they were only selling froof and powder puff stuff? Glad to here they haven't totally lost it.
    Life is Good

alpine bod

I hate REI! REI is for wannabe yuppies who buy scads of gear, but never use it more than once a year...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

REI rocks the house, but . . .

Yes, you need more carabiners. You'll accumulate a lot of gear as you get more and more into it.

In some canyons (Alcatraz, Not Mind Bender) It's much better to just tie a harness out of webbing. Otherwise you just sent your $29.99 down the crapper. You need some webbing slings and quite a few carabiners. A lot of canyoneers suggest you get a pirahna, but I just use an ATC basket. Just have 2 carabiners that are the same size so you can up your friction level on the long raps. Right Shane? (Pandora's) You'll also want some rappel rings, some extra webbing for making anchors, etc.

My rebate last year was well over $200

Later
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

http://www.rei.com/product/47635795.htm?vcat=REI_SEARCH

It's $29 bucks at REI.

It's the harness I use

Ah the Bod, my first harness. It's only been used about 15 times before I grew out of it. Now it hangs in shame in my garage. I guess that makes me an REI yuppie snob.

This is the one I have now:

Singing Rock Soul Harness

James

Buy a BD ATC-XP for a rappel device. The standard ATC like you have is too fast for skinny ropes. I hate the Pirahna, it twists your ropes, which will eventually lead to a stuck rope..... YMMV....

You should also have at least three locking biners.

and while you are buying you should get at least 50' of 1' webbing. Buy one section of 12' webbing and I'll show you how to go lite in the Black Hole on Sunday.

My current preference is the standard Bod Harness.

Cut off the felt backing. Cut off that silly extra aluminum backup buckle.

Leg rear riser straps are much, much wider, and hence, much more durable for canyoneering where you spend a bit of time in the "toboggan" position.

Comes with presewn gear loops, although I think the alpine bods have this now too.

-Brian in SLC

Buy a BD ATC-XP for a rappel device. The standard ATC like you have is too fast for skinny ropes. I hate the Pirahna, it twists your ropes, which will eventually lead to a stuck rope..... YMMV....
    ATC works fine for skinny ropes if you know how to rig it (I still use mine for everything w/o a problem ), but yes ATC-XP is way nicer, and better for skinny roaps. Piranha is sweet in the flow, but for A/B canyons I think ATC type devices are nicer because they don't twist the rop.

For those playing along at home:

[url=http://www.rei.com/product/47600100.htm?vcat=REI_SEARCH] [color=blue][u][b][size=6]Black Diamond ATC

You should also have at least three locking biners.

and while you are buying you should get at least 50' of 1' webbing. Buy one section of 12' webbing and I'll show you how to go lite in the Black Hole on Sunday.

Shopping done, that webbing is expensive... but got 50' and 12', ready to rock on now!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Shopping done, that webbing is expensive... but got 50' and 12', ready to rock on now!
    I nice chunk of webbing can save your ass..... use it as your emergency bolt kit, hand lines, pull chords, harness..... you can even rappel on it if you need to.

Its actually pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.... wait until it's your turn to fill up my truck

Oh I know... that's why I offered to drive my Honda. But if heavy 4wding involved then I can't take it.

I am taking my harness back that I have dragged through Cheesebox stinky mud and on the sand walls of Leprechon. Got to love REI for that :)

That's why I buy from REI too. I know if I'm not happy with what I bought, I can take 'em back.

so kazak, what did you get, and why are you returning it?

I am taking back Singing Rock Balance Harness $36.95 Item 722081, it felt like a good harness, but not for canyoneering. Ice sold me on his harness. According to him and my 50lbs backpack, the harness has padding which absorbs water and also it's harder to put on in the water/mud. I am going to go with the harness that Ice recommended (Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness
    $29.95 Item 699550)

PS: Sorry the links were too long to post here.