Thread: What do you make of this e-mail I got?

What do you make of this e-mail I got?

I have put an advertisement for guitar lessons on Craig'slist Salt Lake, and I first was contacted by this guy wanting to do lessons M-F from 2-3p.m. I emailed him back and told him I only do lessons on Tuesday evenings. He said that was okay and asked me the price for lessons. Then I replied and he sent me this:

Greetings
    Thanks very mcuh for the mail.He can come for the lesson at 8:14pm.He will come along with his text books and all neccessary accessories,i am from the United Kingdom.I hope i will be able to trust you with my money,since this requires honesty and transparency.I have an associate of mine owing me the sum of $2000,i will instruct him to write out the check to you,so when you recive it you will have to deduct $20 the cost of the lesson fee and send the remaining funds to person who will be taking care of my son during his staying in the United States. in september.The remaining funds sent to him,will be for his feeding and other commisions.So if this is understandble i will want you to get back to me with the follwoing informations of where the check will be sent to.

name in full
    address in full
    city state
    zip code country
    conatct phone number

Looking forward to read for you

So, what do you make of it? I e-mailed him back already and told him I wasn't about to deal with giving someone the rest of a $2000.00 check and have yet to hear back from him. I also recommended him to Acoustic Music.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I smell a scam - you were wise to avoid it.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Scam. There's no way you're worth $2000.

But seriously, just tell him it's cash, or no deal. See if he goes away after that.

Scam. There's no way you're worth $2000. lol8
    I'm worth waaay more than that. I usually take my pay in babes though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1
    Now I know it's definitely a scam. Check out this link: http://www.smartmoney.com/consumer/i...story=20050810
    I'd give them the runaround. Don't commit to anything, but tell them you are very interested in completing this transaction. Act like you didn't get the check yet, and make them go on a wild goose chase.

This guy gives nigerian scammers the run around to the N'th degree. It's well worth blowing off the second half of your workay and reading some of these stories. It is hilarious and amazing to see the lengths these people will go. This guy has even scammed the scammers.

http://www.419eater.com

this is one of my favorites.
    http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm

Our own Sombeech did a similar number on some unsuspecting idiots. http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2358

I remember reading those. Hilarious. Well, my phone number is posted on the original craigslist ad, so I don't know how dangerous these guys can be if you fool around with them, but they could track me down pretty easily.