Thread: Cheesebox Route Questions

Cheesebox Route Questions

I have never done Cheesbox and hope to correct that oversight in the very near future. I'm looking for what others would consider the "best" route for a one day trip. The group will be populated with members from very experienced to noobs. So keep in mind that noobs are time eaters....

I believe the West Fork (as shown on Tom's website) is the "Standard Route".
    http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/cedar/cheese.htm

I have a route description listing the "full" west fork meal deal all the way to 95, but it sounds like a lot of slogging for not a lot of extra.

What about the East Fork? I believe Kelsey has some info on that. Anyone have a good east/west combo meal?

Anyhoo..... none of us have done Cheesebox and we would like suggestions on what would be considered the "best" route" for our situation. Shuttle vehicles are not a problem.

Suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When I did it, we went from almost the very top of the west fork down to highway 95. Lot's of slot sections intersperced with walking/more open sections. I thought it was worth it, but I like everything.

Runs in my mind we were 10 hours car-to-car, but it was a few years ago. C'mon Ice, go big or go home... If you went in Tom's entrance, you would cut a fair bit of time off from the full west.

You can always spot a car and split the group at the usual exit if some want the full meal deal. Sort of a long car shuttle as I remember though....

I'm looking for what others would consider the "best" route for a one day trip.
    West Fork all the way through may be the best option.

I have a route description listing the "full" west fork meal deal all the way to 95, but it sounds like a lot of slogging for not a lot of extra.
    We missed the very last slot before the White confluence, and it might be interesting, and probably worth doing.

What about the East Fork? I believe Kelsey has some info on that. Anyone have a good east/west combo meal?
    I haven't done the combo, but heard it takes climbing skills and is not for newbies unless there is another alternate route.

PS, I have only done the East Fork with Mike K, but the West Fork is supposed to be slightly better. The East Fork does however, have some good ruins and is interesting.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

From what I'm hearing in this forum and from talking with canyoneering friends it sounds like Tom's West Fork is the biggest bang for the buck.....

OK..... so if I use Tom's entrance what do we miss above?

Splitting the group and getting picked up on 95 might work really good. The group the splits off can retrieve the cars and then leave one on 95, which should be just up from our camp at the soldiers grave.

Problem is I hear there is major slogging between Tom's exit and White Canyon..... a steep price for a small return..... that sound about right?

Also still interested in some type of east/west combo. We will have some good climbers along so getting the rope "up there" should be doable.....

Maybe we will have to look at making up our own east/west route on the fly.

More comments are welcome!

Problem is I hear there is major slogging between Tom's exit and White Canyon..... a steep price for a small return..... that sound about right?
    It depends if you consider another slot and some nice walls a small return.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Above Tom's entrance, I remember a few short raps and short slot sections. Tom's section is the best section.

Below Tom's I don't remember it being that much of a slog. Nice hiking and good scenery as I recall. Some short narrows sections in there as well if memory serves me right. Once you hit the confluence with White, it's a short uphill and your right at your car.

The combo...a little from Tom's rave
    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0303roost/index.htm
    The first two pages anyway. It was a cold day, so no more pics.
    What to do. Enter via Tom's entry to the west, have two people descent to the first rap, set a line, come back. Cross country into the east fork and down. Long stroll to the goods, just above the confluence, in east. Ruins encountered on the way. Modest. Nice stroll. The 4 drops. 2 pretty mandatory raps and two downclimbed at moderate levels (easier than it looks). From the confluence, climb up the west fork. several interesting spots. The Spiral Staircase and its step over caused pause (of a half hour) the first time. Do the nose left, not the slight depression right/straight away. Zion Falls is next. 3 tiered climb. Slimy groove then the stem up to the "thank god" smooth horn. A cave climb through right, finishes the drop. Jug the third problem (Friendly Falls) or do the monster high stem. Lots of other small problems, along the way, but easy ways have been found on this time tested piece( finished 1991). Bang for the buck? The standard Tom west fork is best. 6 hours or less. The down east and up west is called "The Righty-Lefty" and is the classic, although one travels many hours before getting to the goods, the upclimb and the fun inherent make it coveted. Where Tom's side canyon meets west fork, the short section up the other fork is called the extention and is fun. The slot jump (shown in rave pics) is fun, but avoidable by those traveling to the the east fork. The climb up out of the west to the east is about 500 feet of standard Cedar mesa sandstone tiering. Up, then left, up then right etc and goes at class 5.0, if the right combo is found. The side canyon between the two forks, offers easy slickrock travel toward the east. This canyon slips north above pt. 6454 T. The north side is best for travel. The climb out of west starts near the T of 6369 T (other side of west fork, of course).This side canyon enters just below Friendly falls and its rim is met on cross country after the climb out of west. The entry into the east fork is west of 6586 T. The section below the confluence is often considered the best part of the canyon (with the coldest water) and is worth the down and up side trip, if one is doing the Righty-Lefty. Below this section is 4 more sections of slot canyon. The first 3 are encountered on the Tom route. The 1st is the best, the second short and shallow (pretty strata), the third is quite good too and the Tom exit comes quickly after. The final slot is at the White Canyon confluence and is fun, with a rap at the end. The climb up the nose on the other side, to the road, is sporting. One removes a wet suit, if wearing one, after the 3rd of the lower slots, when going that way. Mostly pretty slickrock stroll in there, with one boulder section with waist deep water, normally. Lots of other variations and little gems nearby.
    Hopes this works for you. As said, nicer in spring and fall.
    Ram

Cheesebox - Oh What a Delight! In the right (wet) conditions, and with caring, cheerful, kosher companions.

Ram's report - a detailed paint by the numbers discourse, that fits - for the most experienced/fit canyon traveler - and in much cooler temps. At least in my view.

I'd be wary with upper 90's and lower 100's "forecasted." Travel down W
    Fork all the way to Hwy 89 is certainly doable, but in high temps is it prudent, enjoyable? Down West and out the middle is a good enough intro,
    especially in the heat. The area is primarily an April-May and late
    Sept and Oct zone.

If you want to try an E/W combo, and have a reasonable time in high
    temps, I'd go down West to E/W junction, and then go up E a ways...
    return down E to E/W junction and and then exit in the middle of the canyon. Or pin the tail on the donkey, let imagination fly, and find
    "your own" Cheesbox mix for the day.

Note, if folk drive back to Hwy 95 to pick up "full" CB travelers, it's
    a bit a drive S and then east past Fry Cyn Lodge to the pick up spot,
    that folk would hike back up to. And the turn off from the Hwy is not
    obvious.

Cheesebox dry or semi wet is just another "white canyon" visit.
    When the place is filled with water though, the venture trumps,
    most other spots in the area - at least that's what my crew and
    I have divined.

And what's all the banter about Tom's or Kelsey's route? Many of us
    traveled these corridors before either of these banditos staked their
    most minor claim to this turf. The whole White Canyon Complex, north of Gravel and SE to Natural Bridges has a multitude of glorious corners and coves that have not yet made their way into too many trumpeting web sites or guide books. Folk speak of bolt free environments - a view toward a parallel universe - corridors in the Southwest that are enjoyed,
    but primarily promotion free?

Have a safe and enjoyable time - and perchance if you wander
    cross an Outward Bound band of tiresome dehydrated teens - or
    a wandering, lost BOSS - Boulder Outdoor Survival School - misfit
    that has not eaten for two days or had liquid in the past 24 hours,
    have mercy on these poor souls - hydrate, and electrolyte 'em
    and lift them from their sorry state of weakness and exhaustion.

And safe travel on those "crazy" highways too, where tortured
    accidents have "taken lives" recently, just as the summer heat.

S Lewis
    SLC

Actually.... I'm not exactly sure how I got hooked into Cheesebox in August

I think it had something to do with free beer and jambalaya

Oh well.... can't do every canyon in primetime We'll have fun no matter what. Maybe with a little luck one of the predicted afternoon thunderstorms over the next few days will bless us with a gully washer.

I'm thinking we will plan on the Tom route and adjust on the fly according to conditions and how the noobs are doing.

Thanks to all who provided valuable intel.

We'll post lots of pics and tell lots of lies upon our return.

Hey... I just seen this in an old ACA route description.....

East Fork Variation:
    About one mile into Cheesebox the East Fork comes in from the left. You can ascend this fork skirting the only obstacle by climbing around it. Soon after the 90 degree bend the canyon becomes less technical. Turn around and descend back to the main canyon. It only takes an hour or so to add this diversion to your Cheesebox trip and is well worth it.

Anyhoo..... if it's just a simple matter of climbing up the east fork and checking it out why is this not standard operating proceedure??? Or has someone been smoking crack and posting again?

if it's just a simple matter of climbing up the east fork and checking it out why is this not standard operating proceedure???
    It wouldn't be simple to up climb unless someone found an alternate route. Either the person whom posted did, or he/she was a good rock climber. Either could be possibilities, I guess.

The ACA route descriptions are infamous for being wrong.

FYI....

We have been getting A LOT of rain down here this past weekend, so it's more than likely that Cheesebox will be full, and conditions in the Hole could be different than the most recent reports.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.