Thread: West Desert Rally 2006

West Desert Rally 2006

I was out in the West Desert of Utah over the 24th of July weekend. I saw a lot of cool things, had a good time. In ended up driving about 150miles of dirt road. I camped two nights in a beautiful granite filled canyon and never saw another soul. But I am sure I would have had the same experience if I would have camped at Mirror Lake on the 24th.

Click on the links below to read more:

Part 1: Ibapah and the Deep Creek Mountains

Part 2: Warm Springs

Part 3: Crystal Ball Cave

James
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: West Desert Rally 2006

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    But I am sure I would have had the same experience if I would have camped at Mirror Lake on the 24th.
    James
    Kinda like Wal-Mart at Christmas!

Very nice!

Wow, James B is an OHV user. Congrats! I figured you and stefan just hiked from Vernon to get out west

Nice trip btw. As an OHV user myself these are the exact type of routes I enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ExpUt
    Wow, James B is an OHV user. Congrats! I figured you and stefan just hiked from Vernon to get out west

Nice trip btw. As an OHV user myself these are the exact type of routes I enjoy!
    I don't ride ATV's but I do drive my 4Runner off the pavement any chance I get. My rule is that I will drive a dirt road until it gets so bad that I can get out and walk faster. I will not drive in areas marked WSA. When I get to the sign I stop (except for the one time I drove from the airstrip down to the Muddy River to camp near the Hidden Splendor).

If I was strong enough I would walk from Vernon, but I wouldn't make it to the first Pony Express Marker before I would die from over exertion.

I am curious why you would put me in the same category as Stefan? I have made a few comments but him and you have gone the rounds for ever!

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpUt

I don't ride ATV's but I do drive my 4Runner off the pavement any chance I get. My rule is that I will drive a dirt road until it gets so bad that I can get out and walk faster. I will not drive in areas marked WSA. When I get to the sign I stop (except for the one time I drove from the airstrip down to the Muddy River to camp near the Hidden Splendor).

If I was strong enough I would walk from Vernon, but I wouldn't make it to the first Pony Express Marker before I would die from over exertion.

I am curious why you would put me in the same category as Stefan? I have made a few comments but him and you have gone the rounds for ever!

James
    Just yanking your chain

Great writeup BTW, I read it then and I just read through it again

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I've not been in that area before. Great photos and excellent TR. I'll need to try that route.

I've ridden nearby last winter, but it was easily -10F and wasn't too enjoyable, so we turned back. (on ATV's)