Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REI gone soft?

REI gone soft?

What's the deal with REI now? They have some good stuff, but it seems inventory is changing. Last catalog I received had mostly things like car camping tents and chairs and such. Last time I dropped in the Grand Junction REI they didn't have any of the technical gear I needed, but had a bunch of new family camping gear.

What I wanted some "emergency" baby angles and a few bolts, some Talons, and an Ibis Hook. None of which are sold anymore at that REI. Even last winter, they didn't have any ice tools (I am trying to get more into that) or plastic boots. No dry ropes either. Plenty of big tents and chairs though.

Hopefully, it's only the local store?

Could the below be the future of REI?:

http://www.rei.com/category/40003658.htm
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: REI gone soft?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    What's the deal with REI now? They have some good stuff, but it seems inventory is changing. Last catalog I received had mostly things like car camping tents and chairs and such. Last time I dropped in the Grand Junction REI they didn't have any of the technical gear I needed, but had a bunch of new family camping gear.

What I wanted some "emergency" baby angles and a few bolts, some Talons, and an Ibis Hook. None of which are sold anymore at that REI. Even last winter, they didn't have any ice tools (I am trying to get more into that) or plastic boots. No dry ropes either. Plenty of big tents and chairs though.

Hopefully, it's only the local store?

Could the below be the future of REI?:

http://www.rei.com/category/40003658.htm
    I don't think that my local REI is going soft, however, you have to assume that they may need to tailor their business anyway necessary in order to make the most sales. If most customers buy things that you may consider soft, then that is what they may try and sell more of.
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

The REI in Austin recently ripped out their climbing wall, put the bulk rope and webbing into the back and put a bunch of fluffy stuff up front. I think it's a new PR, imaging, wimpy campain.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

The SLC REI told me they're scaling back on their ice gear. At least at the retail stores.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    The SLC REI told me they're scaling back on their ice gear. At least at the retail stores.
    this could be a good thing for local business.

More profit it ladies clothing, shoes and t-shirts with cool sayings then there is in ice gear and ropes.

I've seen this happen a hundred times before..... the old Sunset Sports, Jerry's, Sportsmen Warehouse, yada, yada.

More profit it ladies clothing, shoes
    PS, when is climb-utah going to start carrying women's clothes? Could be a good thing. Gear too. Harem harness anyone?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

when is climb-utah going to start carrying women's clothes? Could be a good thing.
    What makes you think we don't already carry a women's clothing line? Didn't you get the latest catalog?

Here is a sample of what we carry........

Attached Images Attached Images    

Can the "walkingstockings" be used as slings/runners? They look pretty light weight.

All major credit cards accepted......

Attached Images Attached Images  

By chance, do you have the proper equipement to climb the 382'nd highest mountain in Colorado?

http://www.summitpost.org/list/18594...ado-13ers.html

REI has become wussified. Remember when they were selling fishing gear a year or two back? Fishing is a fine recreation, but it's not what REI is (was) about. Just try to find a high-end approach shoe in there like the La Sportive Exum Ridge or the Montrail D7.

As I remember, REI was founded because a couple guys couldn't find a quality ice ax. Sad to hear that they now no longer carry ice gear or even a good selection of climbing gear. It's too bad they've forgotten their roots.

I was in the Missoula, MT REI last summer. Another customer had a question in the climbing department. I had to help them because none of the employees knew what 9/16 climb-spec webbing was. They offered me a job on the spot.

At least we're lucky in SLC. IME (International Mountain Equipment) is just around the corner from REI in the same strip mall. For all you canyoneers out there, IME has stainless rappel rings. Heck, We've got Black Diamond just a few blocks away too.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Pimp Your Favorite Gear Shop Here

So we all agree, while REI definitely does not suck, it's not as cool as it once was. Where can one find a selection of gear comparable to what REI had back in the day (and even better)? Pimp your favorite gear shop(s) here.

Brick and mortar:

Canyon Sports
    Riverdale Road
    (northeast Wal-Mart)
    Riverdale, UT

IME
    3300 S and 3300 E
    (just west of REI around the corner)
    SLC, UT

Kirkham's
    3125 So. State St.
    SLC, UT

Inland Sports
    Hillfield Rd.
    (between the mall and Antelope Dr.)
    Layton, UT

Gear Heads
    Main St. and Uranium Ave
    (just south of City Market)
    Moab, UT

Pagan Mountaineering
    Moab, UT

Outdoor Outlet
    1 block south of St. George Blvd. and east of 1000 E.
    St. George, UT

Zion Outdoor Center
    (Chaco sandals for $65)
    Springdale, UT

Idaho Mountain Trading
    474 Shoup Ave
    (corner of Yellowstone and B st.)
    Idaho Falls, ID

Online:

www.mgear.com
    www.mec.ca
    www.rockempire.com (slow customer service)
    www.pagangear.com
    www.acmeclimbing.com
    www.paganmountaineering.com (based in Moab)
    www.sierratradingpost.com (closeouts, seconds, special deals; inventory not reliable)

Does anybody know the name and address of the climbing shop on Charleston (in Las Vegas) on the way to Red Rocks? I stopped in there and really liked the shop, pet rats on the counter and all.

I'm not being exclusive by making this list. These are just some places I've done business.

At least we're lucky in SLC.
    Yep, in that respect it is true. The nearest gear shops to where I live require a 300+ mile round trip drive. REI and Summit Canyon Mountaineering are about that distance, and both are in Grand Junction. I wouldn't know if Vernal has one (?), but's it's only 250 miles round trip, so I'll have to check on that. Needless to say, I do quite a bit of ordering online.

Happy Valley:

Hansen Mountaineering
    around 2000 N. State Orem
    Specialize in ice, and rock. A little canyoneering gear

Mountainworks
    Next to The Quarry, University Parkway, Provo
    Full selection of climbing gear

Out n' Back
    State Street right on the Orem Provo border hill
    Some of climbing gear, lots of backpacking and general camping stuff, good deals on random gear

In Cedar City:

The Mountain Shop
    Good supply of both canyoneering and climbing gear

On the web:
    ebay!
    backcountry.com
    stp
    campmor.com
    steepandcheap.com (amazing deal of the day)
    google/froogle

And folks, aren't we forgetting the mecca of canyoneering gear??? CanyoneeringUSA.com - Tom Jones site that carries the Imlay packs and gear as well as other tried and true canyoneering gear. Tom's suggestions for gear have not failed me yet. As for Hansen High Adventure in Orem. They have the Imlay ropes and some Imlay packs as well as the harnesses and hardware. MountainWorks in Provo has much more canyoneering gear and all the pretty BlueWater canyoneering ropes as well as all the hardware.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    MountainWorks in Provo has much more canyoneering gear and all the pretty BlueWater canyoneering ropes as well as all the hardware.
    Cool. Thats a new development. Last I was in there they were asking me to explain what kind of gear and saying there were looking at stocking some stuff.

I have been beating on them (figuratively of course) for years about canyoneering stuff. I think they kinda hate it when I come in because I buy a token piton occasionaly and yack their ear off about canyoneering and equipment. I, like you, am also glad to see the increased stock. I was there yesterday and they now have about a half a wall dedicated to canyoneering. It is right next to the shoes on the North wall, you can't miss it. They have rope silos, imlay packs, pot shots, La Sportiva shoes, Blue Water ropes and one partial spool of Tom's ropes, kegs, blue water ropes, etc. Nice assortment of stuff now. Best variety in Utah County by far.
    Life is Good

And for what it is worth, REI has gone soft. I don't even bother going in there any more. Last time I was there there was a whole lot of fancy schmancy outdoor clothes (that wouldn't last the day in a north wash canyon) and not a whole lot more.
    Life is Good

By chance, do you have the proper equipement to climb the 382'nd highest mountain in Colorado?
    That is an impressive resume of high peaks. You'd have to go almost that far down the list to find a mountain in Colorado that's shorter than the tallest point in Utah.

#1 in Utah: King's Peak; 13,528'
    #235 in CO: Boulder Mountain; 13,528'
    #236 in CO: Leviathan Peak; 13,528'
    #237 in CO: Treasure Mountain; 13,528'
    #238 in CO: V3; 13,528'

Still, I bet some of the lower peaks are a greater technical accomplishment that most of the 14ers. I don't know, "Booby Prize" (#382 at 13,312') could be a real test piece? Crap, now I've got to spend several months of my life in Colorado, in addition to Montana and California. Why am I wasting so much time at work?