Thread: Catherine Pass to American Fork

Catherine Pass to American Fork

Had a sweet little ride yesterday and I think my fore arms are still buzzing from bombing down hill for so long We dropped around 3500 feet in 8 miles and let me tell you it was rough!

We rode up Catherine Pass, then pushed/rode up to Sunset Peak, then dropped down into Dry Gulch on the GWT and on to Tibble. The plan was to stay on ridge 157 all the way past the Ant Knolls and drop down the Tibble Fork trail, but it didn't quite happen that way. We ran out of time and just hit the road back to the reservoir to meet our friends.

The ride up Catherine was tough, but I almost would've rather climbed that again truthfully than descend all the way to Tibble fork on the Dry Creek Trail/Tibble road. The first 2-3 miles of the GWT in Dry Gulch (other side of the Supreme lift) was amazing... the views were spectacular and the trail was challenging and beautiful. Then it started getting choppy and rutted and just plain out not-fun. The dirtbikes had carved a nice 12" deep sandy, rocky rut in which I'd like to say we rode but it was more of a controlled slide than anything.

It wasn't enough to take away from the awesome singletrack though and if I had 100 more miles of that I'd be in heaven!

At 10,237 ft over Lake Catherine

Rusty's second trail ride was a doozy..

Descending some "A$$ behind the saddle" trail just under sunset peak in Dry Gulch. Great Western Trail.

Suiting up for some more fun stuff

Pics just don't do it justice. The trail is incredible.

A little blurry

Catherine Pass wildflowers

I think I have some better pictures at home too.
    It's definitely an adventure ride that I'd like to link with the ridge 157 above the ant Knolls.
    Anyone done this ride?

As it is, that was about 13.5 total, with about 1500 up and 3500+ down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet pics, when are we going to get you guys in a canyon again?

Hey Eric, thanks, and believe me I've been thinking about it! This summer we've been working alot of hours to save up for our house, so Sunday is really my only free day. We've been doing as much riding as possible to make up for working so much. I'm hoping the fall will slow down a bit though and we can join you again!

Talk to you soon, Ian

Sweet! I have ridden sections of that trail. Hey, let me just say that your wife is a mountain bike goddess. You are a lucky man to have a wife that will hit the trails with you.

Sounds like a cool trail. Nice pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    You are a lucky man to have a wife that will hit the trails with you.
    Ditto that. BTW, I just added this to the index.

pics

I am absolutely jealous! I love the area up there & I just don't get down there enough anymore to be able to ride it... and I have to agree about the bike goddess!