Thread: Mt. Peale TR

Mt. Peale TR

Hike date July 22, 2006. We left for Mt. Peale from the La Sal Pass

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the TR rwpontius, I have added it to the Utah High Pointing Index .

Another big High County Peak down, good job! I have yet to do Peale but I have hiked a little in the La Sals and really fell in love with them. I always wanted to climb Tukuhnikivatz and Peale at the same time. Peale is the higher peak but Tuk faces west toward the red rock country of Moab that I know and love so much.

James

ahh james, you gots to do it this summer

James:
    I did Tuk 2 years ago, it is tougher than Peale. We are considering a traverse across Melanthin and Peale from the Geyser Pass Road to La Sal Pass in the future. Probably we will try Wass first though. We did Peale on Saturday and floated Westwater Canyon on Sunday-how much better of a weekend can one person have?
    RP

Quote Originally Posted by rwpontius
    James:
    I did Tuk 2 years ago, it is tougher than Peale. We are considering a traverse across Melanthin and Peale from the Geyser Pass Road to La Sal Pass in the future. Probably we will try Wass first though. We did Peale on Saturday and floated Westwater Canyon on Sunday-how much better of a weekend can one person have?
    RP
    A little late on this thread -- Tried Tuk last summer and made it about 200 vert. feet from the summit and it got way too unstable. How did you summit? Or did you?

That high country is where my heart lives. Sitting on the rim looking into Gold Basin was religious.
    "The eagle never lost so much time as when he consented to learn of the crow."

-- Wm Blake

Yes, I summited. It has been several years now but I don't remember it being that unstable and I like to think of myself as pretty cautious when hiking alone. Basically, I went north from the LaSal Pass Road to the ridge between Tuk and Peale and went more or less up the ridge to the summit. I believe I was a little bit to the south of the main connecting ridge part of the way. There is a small peak between the two (I believe it is Laughing Peak or something like that) and I was west of it (Tuk side) when I hit the main ridge. That last portion is definitely steep and I don't know that I would want to be right below someone climbing it but I don't recall it being that bad. Seems to me that is not as bad as the last portion up Pfeifferhorn if you have climbed it although several years and mountains may have clouded my memory. Interestingly, there was some sort of pit on a relatively flat summit! I wondered what that was about but nothing to give an indication of its purpose.
    RP