Thread: A Lesson Learned...

A Lesson Learned...

While riding the beautiful Wasatch Crest Trail the other day:

Enjoying the views of the mountains and the amazing wildflowers:

I was cruisin' along, and suddenly, after dropping down a couple of rocks on a slope side bit of trail, I found myself suddenly tumbling down the rocky slope, a$$ over end. Not sure what happened. I think I was too far to the right, (trying to stay away from the rocky slope), I slid up a slantly rock, bounced over a a protruding rock and went head first down the mountain, landing about 15 or 20 feet below. My bike continued tumbling, bouncing on its tires for another 20 feet or so.

After shaking it off, sitting for a spell assessing the damage, I climbed out, my friend scrambling down to get my bike. I had some serious cuts from the rocks on my lower leg and butt.

The lesson: No first aid kit. The problem was, I needed to cover the gashes to keep the dirt out so I could ride out. We finally, found a wet wipe, to put over the wound and keep it moist, some toilet paper to protect it and an inner tube to tie it together:

Do you carry a first aid kit of any kind with you when you ride??

I will carry something to cover a wound (sanitary napkins that fold up small would work great), and some duct tape from now on.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Point well taken. thanks. I've had quite a few tumbles, and have been lucky.

On the other hand, nice pics! Image bar worthy.

Dirt helps clog wounds don't avoid it, embrace it.

Glad that was the only damage, it is way to easy to get out of control when rolling downhill.

You must be one tuff cookie I would have just laid down and waited for my man servant to come pick me up.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

[quote="PunchKing"]Dirt helps clog wounds don't avoid it, embrace it.

quote]

Are you serious?

I could see the white fatty layer underneath, didnt want to take any chances of infection, I'm going backpacking for a week, starting Sunday!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Ow! Nice photos, sorry you took a tumble!

But yes I carry some type of bandaid and alcohol pads and butterfly strips. I have more big knee sized bandaids than regular bandaids in my house. I'm clumsy.

My friend gashed her knee pretty bad on a bike vacation once. We could see her fatty layers too, it was pretty gross. She didn't want to stop vacationing to get it stitched, which we all agreed she needed dmedical attentions - so she rigged up a used American cheese slice wrapper and some duct tape. She later went into town and bought a suture kit from a pharmacy and sutured herself up.

Yup, carrying those small first aid packs are so easy and light. Worth having...

I was cautious on our ride Monday night. I don't crash much, but was extra careful, because I knew I had a wind rivers trip planned for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger

Are you serious?
    I was not serious, wounds don't kill people infection kills people.

I apologize I did not mean to make light of your crash.

Enjoy the Backpacking trip.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

My nephew asked aobut the chain ring scars on my right calf.

I tell him thats where the gator bit me!

Great pics, too bad about the ending.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger

Are you serious?
    I was not serious, wounds don't kill people infection kills people.

I apologize I did not mean to make light of your crash.

Enjoy the Backpacking trip.
    Didnt take it as being made light of, ya never know what they'll come out with next as to what's "good" for people!

I had a friend that crashed last year, scraped his arm up but good - "road rash" (on dirt). He ended up with a super nasty infection, had to return to the hospital every 8 hours for an IV injection for two days! Killed his vacation for sure!

I always take a little first aid kit when hiking, but havent on my bike, that certainly seems silly to me now. :-)

DickHead
    Yes, Yes I do.
    I had a similar experience. Group of us on Yellow Fork, following it clockwise. Descending on the steep rocky part of double track, one of the new guys crashed badly. One of the other guys did have a small first aid kit, and we were able to patch him up. Since then, I've carried something.
    Make sure to carry first aid tape!!! It can be used to keep a serious owie closed, and to hold a compression bandage in place.

Nice pics, sorry you had to take a tumble but at least there were no brokern coller bones!!! Ouch!!!

I always carry a first aid kit, and a kit to stop arterial bleeding. My wife is a soon to be FNP so she is always on my A$$ about it. Not to mention she wrecks way more than i do

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

DickHead
    PS:
    Maxi-Pads and Panty liners make great bandages, but you need something like tape or a bandanna to keep 'em in place. Plus, they keep double duty, just in case one of the females turns out to be in a bad mood.

Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    PS:
    Maxi-Pads and Panty liners make great bandages, but you need something like tape or a bandanna to keep 'em in place. Plus, they keep double duty, just in case one of the females turns out to be in a bad mood.

Do you also carry tampons??? Just wondering!!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by live2ride
    Quote Originally Posted by JamisJockey
    PS:

Do you also carry tampons??? Just wondering!!
    Not very good for compression bandages, but great for bloody noses.

Don't leave home without it

Bruce over at Utah Mountain Biking has a great kit on his page. I made the same one, and carry it on every ride. Maybe I'm just clumsy, or I hang out with clumsy people, but I've used the heck out of it. I just buy the supplies in bulk at a medical supply place, and replace them after they are used.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/firstaid/bikekit.htm
    You won't think you're so clever, when you hear thunder underground...