Thread: Abajo Peak

Abajo Peak

On Sunday, I took a little drive up to the highest peak in the Abajo Mountains - Abajo Peak, at 11,360 feet. I was hoping to do a little hiking, but since there's a dirt road that goes all of the way to the top, I drove it instead. The road gets a little scary in spots, and there's a cluster of radio towers at the summit. Here's a few pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have been interested in getting up there for years. My son and I simply didn't have time when we were in Monticello in June. Is the drive suitable with a passenger car, or do you need 4WD?

As far as ATC equipment is concerned, as a pilot I can tell you that if a navaid is down, you just use another one. I don't know what kind of navaid is on Abajo Peak - it doesn't appear on my VFR sectional. Maybe it's that new CIA/United Nations relocation system for rounding up agitators after the revolution.

A passenger car could definitely make it. Its a little dicey in spots, but overall its really not a bad road -- just kind of narrow in the most steep parts!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    As far as ATC equipment is concerned, as a pilot I can tell you that if a navaid is down, you just use another one. I don't know what kind of navaid is on Abajo Peak - it doesn't appear on my VFR sectional.
    I'm guessing it's not a navaid - communications instead. Probably an RCO (Remote Communications Outlet) or an RTR (Remote Transmitter/Receiver). They're how you talk to a controller or flight service station located a great distance from the ground station. Depending on the type of service provided through the ground station, it may not be critical for flight safety. </aviation geekery>