Thread: TR - Darby Canyon Ice Caves Round III

TR - Darby Canyon Ice Caves Round III

Took my friend Joe and his cousin Wyatt through on Saturday July 15th. Absolutely spectacular trip. These guys were great trip companions. I don't think I heard one complaint the whole time, and the praise never ended. These are the kind of newbies you like to have along.

I am going to write up a beta for this, but it will only be given to experienced (my judgement) outdoorsmen (or indoorsmen, depending on how you look at caving). I guess cavers are elitists for a reason. If too many people get lost, trapped, dead in a cave, they* seal it off.

All the ropes are good (but don't take an ATC, they are all about 12 mm and don't fit well in that type of rappel device.)

we'll just start out with the best pic of the trip. (not double exposed, but no flash)

Ice + Caves = uh . . . . . Icecaves!!!

The elitists

Other shiz

It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

[*They - they can refer to the top secret society of total pussies. "They" likes to limit personal responsibility and inherent freedoms. "They" hates having fun. "They" hates R rated movies and skateboarders. "They" hates fireworks, caves, climbing, and pretty much anything that has to do with leaving "their" padded safety bubbles. I've been told that "they" was Microsoft, but I'm more and more convinced that "they" is Al Gore.

All the ropes are good (but don't take an ATC, they are all about 12 mm and don't fit well in that type of rappel device.)
    So they leave fixed lines in the cave? Who maintains them, just whoever sees the need?

Quote Originally Posted by price1869
    I've been told that "they" was Microsoft, but I'm more and more convinced that "they" is Al Gore.

Quote Originally Posted by jumar
    So they leave fixed lines in the cave? Who maintains them, just whoever sees the need?
    Rumor has it that its Teton Search and Rescue, though it could very well be the local grotto. Not all drops have fixed lines, just the lower ones.

The ropes are maintained by the Teton County search and Rescue. The first part of the cave requires that you bring a rope to decend the overhanging ice waterfall. From there on out, the ropes are fixed, but I suggest taking your rope all the way through. Just good caving procedure.

I used to think that "they" maintained the ropes, but I don't think that Al Gore could fit.

Price

The correct names of the caves are Fossil Mountain Ice Cave and Wind Cave.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_ski_cowboy
    Rumor has it that its Teton Search and Rescue, though it could very well be the local grotto. Not all drops have fixed lines, just the lower ones.
    TCS&RV would never maintain the fixed ropes because when some bozos get in trouble they would blame them.

There is no local grotto. You can find the NSS grottos on www.caves.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc
    The correct names of the caves are Fossil Mountain Ice Cave and Wind Cave.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_ski_cowboy
    TCS&RV would never maintain the fixed ropes because when some bozos get in trouble they would blame them.

There is no local grotto. You can find the NSS grottos on www.caves.org.
    Call the caves whatever you want, but it is the Teton County Search and Rescue that maintains the ropes. This I know personally. Anyway . . . the cave is fun fun fun till the daddy takes the t-bird away.

Price