Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Westwater canyon - Colorado River

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by soitgos
    Ahhh . . . I thought you were talking about Westwater Canyon. The water in the GC is much colder. Comes off the bottom of the reservoir. But, the weather should be a little warmer. Have you done the GC before?
    Nope.. .first time doing anything like this. I am a hiker and have hiked on the North Rim side quite a bit. I went kayaking in Zion last summer. That was a blast!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's the trip of a lifetime, but be prepared. The water at Lee's Ferry is about 45 degrees. My trip this year is in August/September and I'm still taking neoprene.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    It's the trip of a lifetime, but be prepared. The water at Lee's Ferry is about 45 degrees. My trip this year is in August/September and I'm still taking neoprene.

My partner and I are hiking in at Phantom Ranch then out at Whitmore Wash because he cannot be gone the whole 4 Weeks. Does that make it better? We are going March 10th until April 1st. I think we have some dry suits for the trip. I cannot imagine sitting around in my 5mm Wet Suit for 2 weeks. Any more tips! I am a newbie at this!

I've probably got more tips than you want. I've been doing this for 30 years. Hmmm . . . not sure I should have admitted that. The water temperature increases about one degree every 20 miles, maybe less at that time of year. I would definitely wear a drysuit in March. On warm weather trips we just wear neoprene for the big rapids, then take it off. The other thing I would suggest is take warm clothes for camp and waterproof shoes, but being an outdoor person, I'm sure you know all that. A sleeping bag with liners is better than a very cold bag, since the temperature can vary significantly. Then find the best boatman and ask if you can ride with her/him .

Are you flying out at Whitmore? You can log onto the River Runners for Wilderness website and order the GC orientation video, free of charge. That could be a good introduction for you. www.rrfw.org

BTW, if anyone is doing a cold weather river trip, I have drysuits available.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    I've probably got more tips than you want. I've been doing this for 30 years. Hmmm . . . not sure I should have admitted that. The water temperature increases about one degree every 20 miles, maybe less at that time of year. I would definitely wear a drysuit in March. On warm weather trips we just wear neoprene for the big rapids, then take it off. The other thing I would suggest is take warm clothes for camp and waterproof shoes, but being an outdoor person, I'm sure you know all that. A sleeping bag with liners is better than a very cold bag, since the temperature can vary significantly. Then find the best boatman and ask if you can ride with her/him .

Are you flying out at Whitmore? You can log onto the River Runners for Wilderness website and order the GC orientation video, free of charge. That could be a good introduction for you. www.rrfw.org

BTW, if anyone is doing a cold weather river trip, I have drysuits available.

Few men are attractive unless they are over 45 (The guys on this group are the exception) I am going with a boat full of Pro's. It's a private trip and only one boat going I think. I think the guide is Monty? My hiking partner and him are friends. One guy who is probably going wrote a hiking book for hikes leading from the river. I live fairly close, being on the East side of Zion National Park, so just driving out and setting up a shuttle car-wise.

www.rrfw.org Is that Tom's site? It looks familar. I have a Grand Canyon group (yahoo group) and he posts in it. That looks like his signature on his posts. I would never watch the video. I am bad at that. I never read a trip report before going out either.. or at least read as little as I need.

Yes, that is Tom Martin's organization and I assume you're also referring to his hiking book. He also has a river guide that is the best on the market. If Tom is on the trip, I'm sure there's more than one boat. That would be very dangerous in March. The first day past Phantom (your first day on the river) you will see five of the biggest rapids you will ever see.

Make an exception and watch the video. It can answer a lot of questions you may have.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    Yes, that is Tom Martin's organization and I assume you're also referring to his hiking book. He also has a river guide that is the best on the market. If Tom is on the trip, I'm sure there's more than one boat. That would be very dangerous in March. The first day past Phantom (your first day on the river) you will see five of the biggest rapids you will ever see.

Make an exception and watch the video. It can answer a lot of questions you may have.
    Yes, Tom Martin, but I am talking about another book. I could go over to my group and look, but I am trying to work rather than post. Can you tell? I think this book is out of print? Oh joy!!!! I will take my motion sickness pills before climbing on board!!!

I'm sure there are other books, but the only hiking one I'm familiar with is Tom's. What is your group? I belong to a number of email lists, but am not familiar with yours.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    I'm sure there are other books, but the only hiking one I'm familiar with is Tom's. What is your group? I belong to a number of email lists, but am not familiar with yours.

I looked. Larry Stevens is the author. My partner borrowed a copy of the book and I glanced at it. Does that sound familar.

Yes. Larry Stevens is a GC legend.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    Yes. Larry Stevens is a GC legend.

Then why had you never heard of his book

I had only heard of Tom's too. It's not for sure he is going. I am told he has not made up his mind and I don't know him.

I guess I still don't know what book you are referring to. Has L Stevens written a hiking guide? The only L Stevens book I am familiar with is

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-River...e=UTF8&s=books

Oops, hope that link works. That book has a lot of information, but is mostly a river guide, not a hiking guide.

If there is another, I'd appreciate the information. I'd like to get it.
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    I guess I still don't know what book you are referring to. Has L Stevens written a hiking guide? The only L Stevens book I am familiar with is

http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-River...e=UTF8&s=books

Oops, hope that link works. That book has a lot of information, but is mostly a river guide, not a hiking guide.

If there is another, I'd appreciate the information. I'd like to get it.

I imagine that's it. Guess its not a hiking guide.

Bogley BigShot
    I have underwater casing for my digital. I am thinking from how you describe the water on the boat I should take this. I quit using it in slot canyons because it was too dark and it made my photos blurry, but this might be perfect for this.

I am so use to paking bare essentials.. which means next to nothing. I feel funny about bringing bulky stuff. Do others?

There will certainly be under water experiences. Hopefully no out of boat experiences.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!
    soitgos . . .

Bogley BigShot
    There will certainly be under water experiences. Hopefully no out of boat experiences.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Dang I went under just in the Virgin River
    My one and only river attempt
    Attached Images Attached Images