Thread: How to Fillet a fish -- I need instructions

How to Fillet a fish -- I need instructions

I want to learn how to fillet a fish, namely trout. First of all, I've got to get a foldable knife to take backpacking.

Any fillet masters out there?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I can show you sometime. There is a big difference between doing it right or butchering the fish and losing half the meat. I put mine in the fridge for a few days before filleting them. Then I use a technique that my father-in-law taught me and I have rarely seen it. You don't use much knife with this tech, more with your hands after you make a few strategic cuts. You end up pulling the complete skeleton out of the fish. I'll see if I can find it like this online.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I put mine in the fridge for a few days before filleting them.
    Can this technique work without a fridge? I'll want to do it while backpacking.

DickHead
    Don't waste your time, especially for backpacking. Unless its a big freaking whopper....
    Trout: slit from anus to skull. Clean innards out. Clean mudline out (black gooey shit against the spine). Cook with or without head. Peel off skin to eat.

Filleting a fish:
    Slit skin and meat close to the spine (looking down on the fish's back) from the front to back, down to the ribcage. Next, slit the side at an angle along the ribs, slide the meat back until you're about 1/2 " from the tail. Flop it over, and cut the meat off the skin.
    Not very effective on trout. Trout are best just eaten as described above.

Cooking trout over a fire will crispy the skin, making it easier just to peel it off. Butter, bacon, and onions in the body cavity make for a very yummy treat.

go to the fish farm in North Ogden, get a few fish, and watch him and ask questions while he is filleting your fish.

He makes it look sooooo easy.

(I guess it is if you fillet that many fish.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    go to the fish farm in North Ogden, get a few fish, and watch him and ask questions while he is filleting your fish.
    I think that's exactly where LeRoy learned how to do it right before our backpacking trip.

They turned out beautifully. It's so quick and easy. It's easier than pulling the bones out after they're cooked.

Nice looking fillets- that looks good- all trout over 11" can and should be filleted- Your fish will taste much better. The gutting technique is fine if you don't know how to fillet but if you want good tasting fish- learn it.
    Go perch fishing and you will get all the practice you could possibly want.