Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Backpack List

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    but i wasn't trying to convince you either, though it may have sounded like it. i only was indicating my preference and why.

cheers!
    No prob. Shagster is actually going up with a 5 gallon collapseable jug, so we'll see how he does.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I just bought some 100% DEET, and a head net. That should keep 'em away.

I'm pondering a fillet knife... I dunno yet. I'm going to cook all of my fish in foil on the fire. It would be nice to just cook the meat.

I like using the bladders that come inside the wine boxes. They roll up, light weight and have a tap on them. I have taken those mesh bags we all have around and cut a whole and plastic wire tied it off so you can hang them on a tree in camp.

Where did you get your 100% deet? I looked everywhere I could think of and could not find anything over 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    Where did you get your 100% deet? I looked everywhere I could think of and could not find anything over 25%.
    Sportsman's warehouse in Riverdale. It's Muskol brand $4.99

My wife is totally sold on the sports drink thing - she carries one water bottle and one bottle with a Gatorade type drink in it - and claims it makes a big difference in her endurance.

Also, may I ask why you want to bring a sidearm? If you are not hunting, it adds quite a bit of weight.

-R

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by shagster
    Just saw some last night at Walmart for $3.89.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    My wife is totally sold on the sports drink thing - she carries one water bottle and one bottle with a Gatorade type drink in it - and claims it makes a big difference in her endurance.

Also, may I ask why you want to bring a sidearm? If you are not hunting, it adds quite a bit of weight.

-R
    Bears! Although the pistol might just piss 'em off even more. That's why I'm packing in my 12 guage.

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    Really? The highest I saw there was 37%, and it had the "extreme outdoors" quote on it Where did you find it?

The only handgun even remotely capable of discouraging a bear would be a .357 magnum or .44 magnum, and those things weigh a ton.

The only handgun even remotely capable of discouraging a bear would be a .357 magnum or .44 magnum, and those things weigh a ton.
    Yeah, I'll be bringing my .380 up, and there will be about 3 other firearms up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll
    Really? The highest I saw there was 37%, and it had the "extreme outdoors" quote on it Where did you find it?
    Just to the right of the "extreme". It was the one in Riverdale.

well its not like you have to take the whole roll of duct tape, just wrap it around the pen that you should be carrying with you anyways. put a thick wad around that and it will be easier to write with when your hands are cold and numb too.

Quote Originally Posted by jinx
    well its not like you have to take the whole roll of duct tape, just wrap it around the pen that you should be carrying with you anyways. put a thick wad around that and it will be easier to write with when your hands are cold and numb too.
    We ended up using just a little duct tape. Shad bought a collapseable jug that had some holes in it, and they weren't the air vent holes either.

All together we packed some good stuff. Here is a link to the Trip Report:
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3099

Changes to the list for next time.

Regarding food, I will NOT take my complete mess kit, I will only bring the pot for boiling water. The plate, pan, and cup can stay home.

I will only eat food that has no clean up, such as cup o noodles, Mountain House, and breakfast bars. I hated adding water to my oatmeal, potatoes, or anything else and then cleaning off the plate for later use.

Eat, and burn the container. No dishes. That's the plan next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jinx
    Or wrap some around your Nalgene bottle.

Backpacker Magazine recently tested various brands of duct tape. All performed about equally when dry, but Gorilla Tape is the only one that didn't lose its adhesive properties when wet. Something to consider when using duct tape as a blister preventative.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

A ton being 2000 lbs.

I note that S&W makes several models of .357 that clock in between 12 and 19 ounces.

Seem like you could get a .44 mag down to around 26 ounces.

That'd be a bit less than a ton.

A friend of mine's brother killed the Montana state record black bear with a .22 a few year's back. Also knew a guy that killed one with a 9mm. Not recommended, but, just sayin'....

There's more model hand cannons out there than you can shake a can of pepper spray at. .454, .460, .500, etc etc. Anyone ever shot one of them BFR's in .45-70? Yikes.

-Brian in SLC (who covets a mountainlite in .357)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    A friend of mine's brother killed the Montana state record black bear with a .22 a few year's back.
    A real 22 (22 long rifle or a 22 magnum) like kids take plinkin', or a 22-250 which is a high-velocity round used for hunting big game? Old Ephraim was brought down by a .25-35, not much bigger than a .22-250.

http://library.usu.edu/Specol/ephraim.html
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

I brought one of these with me: S&W .357 Mag Long - 7 shooter

Bring on them baaaarss...

I don't see the point of bringing a gun for bears unless you hope to kill a bear. I have been backpacking in the Wind Rivers many times and I have seen plenty of bears but i have never needed a gun. For me they are just large pests.

On one trip we had them going through our camp every night. You are fine as long as you don't have food in your tent. But I must admit it was a little intimidating when they would brush by your tent.

We put our food on top of a big boulder and they couldn't get at it. One morning we woke up and had a mother that had sent her two cubs up a tree next to the boulder and they were trying to get at the food. We all just stood there and watched about sixty feet away. eventually they just gave up and left.

My most violent encounter in the backcountry was actually with a moose.