Thread: World's dumbest tax audit

World's dumbest tax audit

Apparently my wife (I'm out of town) just got a letter from the Colorado State Tax Commision. We underpaid our taxes last year by mistake, and now owe them.

How much did we underpay? $1. Yes, that's right, one dollar. NO, I am not joking. With penalties and interest, it is now $14. Give me a break. I wonder how much labor they spent figuring out we underpaid by $1. Oh well.

I've never made a mistake on my taxes until last year. Next time I'll just send an extra dollar to make sure I'm covered.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: World's dumbest tax audit

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson
    With penalties and interest, it is now $14.
    that's WEAK!!!

sorry scott

Crazy, crazy man...not cool.

It's a good thing we have big brother watching out for our interests. Too bad you have to deal with it. It could be any of us.

1400% in penalty and interest?

Good thing you didn't underpay by a thousand dollars.

If you didn't have a CPA do your taxes the first time, you may be able to find a cpa to review the taxes and find some hidden deductions. File an amended return and get your money, penalties and even a refund back. It has been done before in stupid situations like yours.
    Life is Good

DickHead
    F-em. Send 'em the $14, get a CPA to review your taxes, and hopefully you'll file an amended return and get it all back plus some.
    If you have a home business, travel alot for business, have a home, you might want to use an accountant anyways. Ours was $175 and did a great job.

If you have to end up paying the fourteen dollars. Pay it with pennys! And not rolled pennys!!!
    A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
    -Garth McCann

1400% in penalty and interest?
    Yep. Minimum penalty, I guess.

If you didn't have a CPA do your taxes the first time, you may be able to find a cpa to review the taxes and find some hidden deductions. File an amended return and get your money, penalties and even a refund back. It has been done before in stupid situations like yours.
    Actually, since I actually work for the state, I could just bill them for an extra two minutes overtime and get my dollar back (Shhhh). I'll eat the penalty this time.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.