Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little wetsuit help please

A little wetsuit help please

Ok, so I posted on the other group site, the site of light and truth, but it is so slow that I will post here on the dark side.... or is it the other way around??? I never remember which is which. I NEED HELP on wetsuits. For canyoneering I want a 5mm full suit. When looking online a few moments ago, there are surf and dive suits. I didn't know there was a difference. Any concerns or differences I need to watch out for? Any good deals out there that any one is aware of? A little help please.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Anything will work...just as long as it has some bright pink or purple colors.

Haven't we had this discussion before?

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php...light=wetsuits

I am unaware of any difference between diving suits and surf suits however.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

That was a rental discussion mostly and I want to buy one. You can't trust rentals, people like Ice don't wear anything under the wetsuit then return it. Worse than bowling shoes. Cooties galore.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    That was a rental discussion mostly and I want to buy one. You can't trust rentals, people like Ice don't wear anything under the wetsuit then return it. Worse than bowling shoes. Cooties galore.
    Ahhhhhh, I see.

Let me know where you find the best deal. I'll be next in line to BUY one too.

By the way, Ice doesn't go naked in rentals -- he wears panties.

www.sierratradingpost.com always seems to have good deals on wetsuits.

-Rob

wetsuit

Take a look on ebay there are tons on there! I got a really nice ripcurl elastomax 4/3 for 75$ The retail tag said it was a 300$ suit when it was the new model. It kept me warm in echo canyon and pinecreek. NRS make a 2mm jacket. When worn with a 4/3 suit it would keep you warm enough for for almost any condition. I was just in Sierra Trading post store in WY. I looked at those camaro suits. I was not impressed at all.
    mike

Gotta love the ability to search this site

Surf (and watercraft) wetsuits often have reinforced knees and elbows. They are also usually cut to allow more freedom of movement. What and how kinda depends on the manufacteur and style.

like Rob says check out Sierra trading post, they have a great return policy or wetsuitwearhouse.com (i got a suit from them recently and it was a bargin).

as far as what type of suit, well personally, being an old surf rat i like the surf styled suits over the dive suits. the surf suits have stretch material in them and the are a lot easier to around climb in (especially in a 5mm thickness).
    i have a ripcurl and an Oneil and they are great. yeah maybe a bit more, but the stretch and ergo cuts are well worth it. and if you buy last years models it's same same. i just recently got that ripcurl steamer 4/3 for $129.
    that's a super deal!

This place is cheap. $50 for a new 3mm or 5mm.

http://tommydsports.com

I hear Ice pees in the rentals

If you have time to search yard sales, I've gotten two different suits for $20 each that were in good condition. One 3mm full, and another 7mm farmerjohn, jacket combo

#1 - Angel: why would you want to put a wet suit on that body.

#2 - there are no yardsales in Garfield County

#3 - Anyone wear a Neosport 4/3mm?

Thank ums

Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce
    #1 - Angel: why would you want to put a wet suit on that body.

uhh ... cause angel looks a little too much like mr. iceaxe

the diference as i understand it between the two is that surf suits are cut with more more freedom than a dive suit. I've rented both and have found the Dive suits to be 'too stiff' the sales guy explained that it was because dive suits are made with 'pressurized neporene' something to do with the depth of diving and the neoprene shrinking. In any case, I've been completely happy with my 2/3 body glove suit w/ a 2mm body glove vest.

Following up, I bought a Neosport by Henderson from Scuba.com for $129.00 It is a full 7/5 mm. Tried to do Imlay in August but got rained out so we did a flowing Pine Creek. It was too much suit. I kept pulling the neck open to allow the water to freely flow in to cool me down. I finally did Imlay a couple of weeks ago (end of August) and still a bit too much suit for the conditions. The Canyon was mostly full and the water had not cooled down to the "normal" temperatures I imagine. However, when I got to the end of the canyon when I started to get hungry, I felt a bit of chill but that was due to my empty stomach. A bit of jerky and a granola bar warmed me right up. I am happy with the suit and look forward to being able to extend my canyoneering in wet canyons into late fall and early spring. We will see about winter. I'm ready for cold water and cold air temps with this suit but adding snow and ice???
    Life is Good

Oh ya, I bought 5 on one order. 10% discount for buying in bulk!!!! They were for me and four regular partners who also needed more suit than they had. Scuba.com was very easy to deal with and I like the person to person contact on the phone. The guy on the phone was quite helpful although he did not know what canyoneering was. After a brief description of the sport he was helpful. The suit after PineCreek and Imlay shows very little wear. Seems to be pretty good neoprene. Of course, all bets are off when I go to the North Wash.
    Life is Good

A bit of jerky
    My man!!!

Of course, all bets are off when I go to the North Wash.
    I have never used a wetsuit in North Wash, even when canyoneering in winter with a high of 20 degrees. Just not that much water. What's there can often be stemmed or avoided. If I do find water we usually just strip down to keep our clothes dry and hurry through then put our dry clothes back on. This is certainly a "Your Milage May Very" technic.

And this method is certainly a double edged sword..... when canyoneering with a hot babe its sweet..... but you probably want to explain "Shrinkage" to her before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    And this method is certainly a double edged sword..... when canyoneering with a hot babe its sweet..... but you probably want to explain "Shrinkage" to her before hand.
    Shrinkage? What's that?

Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com) has tons of wetsuits to choose from at pretty good prices. They even have a couple models designed with canyoning (or in our case, canyoneering) in mind. If you're large, your size may be hard to find, but keep checking back. eBay also has lots to choose from.

As for me, I use a "pre-owned" farmer john I got for $20 from a local sailing/kayaking shop in Salt Lake. They sell off their rental gear periodically. I think it's 3mm thick and has padded knees. There were a couple times (e.g., The Squeeze) where sleeves would have been nice, but it's been sufficient for most of the wet canyons I've done.