Thread: Fox News

Fox News

i just watched a very interesting documentary Outfoxed
    (2004) which critically examines fox news. i would recommend to anyone,
    especially those who watch fox news, to check this film out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    on DVD ?
    yup ... on dvd

What's it about? A DVD about a TV network doesn't sound too interesting up front, but...

Fox...is well. Laughable...especially the local affiliate. But the national stations have agendas.

Okay, i was trying to let people figure out for themselves what this film is about. but i should say first, this is about the fox news cable channel, a very very different beast than the local affiliate.

here's netflix's description: Finally, a no-holds-barred documentary on Rupert Murdoch's Fox News, which has been criticized in some quarters as running a "race to the bottom" in television news. Offering an in-depth look at the dangers of burgeoning corporations that take control of the public's right to know, the film explores Murdoch's ever-expanding media empire and its impact on society. Media experts such as Jeff Cohen and Bob McChesney are interviewed.

I will only say this...fox news regularly touts itself as being "Fair and Balanced," but if you've ever watched Fox News Channel (I saw it frequently on a big screen in the student union at the UofU) you realize very quickly that it's very far from being balanced and even further from being fair. The O'Reilly factor is probably the quintessential example.

i have been avoiding talking about this because i would rather let the film speak for itself, which i think it does very well.

Being a foreigner in this country and having access to foreign news, I have seen this behavior on the american news long ago. Media runs this country, not the government.

I will get the movie this weekend, thanks for advice :)

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    The O'Reilly factor is probably the quintessential example.

i have been avoiding talking about this because i would rather let the film speak for itself, which i think it does very well.

Well stefan I have just one thing to say to you (in my best O

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]
    The O'Reilly factor is probably the quintessential example.

Well stefan I have just one thing to say to you (in my best O

you realize very quickly that it's very far from being balanced and even further from being fair. The O'Reilly factor is probably the quintessential example.
    Most people already know this though. Fox is on the Right, ABC & CNN are on the Left. Every network has their bias.

Even though everybody already knows this, it seems that people who make the documentaries are the "enraged" ones. It's like they think they're "exposing" Fox's Right Wing bias. America is shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Even though everybody already knows this, it seems that people who make the documentaries are the "enraged" ones. It's like they think they're "exposing" Fox's Right Wing bias. America is shocked.
    actually, i thought the documentary was not so much about their bias, per se, but more about the approaches and methods they employ to manifest this bias within the news. they demonstrate how well they blurr the line between "news" and "commentary" with very specific examples from the past years.

this i must admit was the most interesting aspect of the film. and i think they present all of this with the arcing question of "is this what journalism should be or become?" i think as fox news gains more viewership and higher ratings, there is a fear (and already some precursors) of the effects it will have on other television/cable news in general.