Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any plans?

Sounds like it's gonna be one hell of a trip, hell ya I am bringin a camera. In fact two of them. One is a helmet mounted and one with extra zoom in my dry bag.

Ice, I will take that ride with you if you don't mind and pay gas on the way home. Can I leave my car at your place then?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Ice, I will take that ride with you if you don't mind and pay gas on the way home. Can I leave my car at your place then?
    Yes sir..... you can even park in my garage if your beast don't leak oil

At the moment I'm thinking a 4:30 or 5 take-off from my house. Ping me side-band and we can work out the details.

Sounds good, so are we coming back Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    Sounds good, so are we coming back Sunday?
    I am

Directions to the Soldiers Grave:
    From the Utah town of Hanksville drive south on highway 95 for 67 miles. The Cheesebox Road (San Juan County Road 227a or 2271) is located on the north side of highway 95 at mile marker 66.8. This is also the location of the "Soldier's Grave".

Pretty sure 66.8 is the the old mile marker. They have changed. Seeing that 28.4 is now 28.1, a guess is that it may be around mile marker 66 now. Not easy to see at night. Have fun.
    Ram

I'm not really worried about the Black Hole.... its not a big deal

The Elvis Dog is right. The Hole is 90% back to normal and casual. Jams are mostly gone and stuff is no longer teetering. When in doubt, tunnel and go low

I'll bring a wet suit down with me but I highly doubt that I'll carry it.

June-September historically is non wet suit in the Hole. YMMV.
    Enjoy the Cheese too. The west fork has been ascended many times(1 aid spot pre set- shoulder stand and cam aid and descended without a rope many times too, but is normally done with 1, 20 foot rappel, at the aid spot (scary stem or slide if water deep enough). Further down, 2 larger drops are downclimbable, but exposed (and belayable-second with a #3 cam) at class 4 to low class 5. Look around at the drops and find the inobvious ways, if it pleases you. Lots of fun. I hope you have good quality water and reasonable temps. This time of year is not prime season there (March, April, October) and because it drains a forested area, vegetable matter finds its way in on certain floods. In good conditions, an absolute delight.
    Ram

I pooched some beta on Cheesebox from a Jared H. over on the Yahoo Canyon forums. Here's what he had to say about a recent trip down Cheesebox:

"For those who haven't been there it is a nice mixture of walk, swim, stem, squeeze, walk, swim, walk, rap, walk, rap, swim, swim, swim, walk etc. It was a great canyon with good mixtures of everything. All of the anchors looked like they had recently been replaced and after re-checking them we did not have to re-do any of them. Some slings placed in places that seemed unnecessary, but no time to take them out. The water levels were not quite at full in some places high water marks were still 1-2 feet above water level."

Thanks Jared, looks like fun!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    Pretty sure 66.8 is the the old mile marker. They have changed. Seeing that 28.4 is now 28.1, a guess is that it may be around mile marker 66 now. Not easy to see at night. Have fun.
    Actually one of my boys checked it out a couple weeks ago and said the mile markers along 95 in this area only moved about 0.1 miles.

But.... I have just updated my webpages to the new mile markers.

Is it worth hiking all the way out Cheese Box to 95 or is this just a long slog with a few narrows? Remember we will be dragging noob's along.

For Cheesebox - I was considering doing the east fork, and bailing out about half-way through, since all of the good stuff is in the upper part of the canyon. If we bail out early, we may have time to visit Fry Canyon, or the west fork of Cheesebox.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I believe the West Fork (as shown on Tom's website) is the "Standard Route". But I have never done Cheesebox and don't know what would be considered the "best" route". I'm open for suggestions.......

I'm moving the Cheesebox route decussion to its own thread.....
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22617

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Remember we will be dragging noob's along.
    I'm ready to go
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by icthys
    I'm ready to go
    Nice shorts, are you John Stockton? Can't tell with the sunglasses!
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

Short Shorts

What a bold statement

Along with the Vista Cruiser..........

and you can never forget the unibrow sunglasses

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Reminds me of Lt. Dangle from Reno 911

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

icthys got a new name..... Lt. Dangle......

You know I have to bring some shorts now.