Thread: Float Down Narrows after Imlay

Float Down Narrows after Imlay

We finished Imlay in a very light rain. After Greg and I had dropped into the Narrows, it started to downpour. Chapin and Tom had to rappel down in the heavy rain.

I have never been in the Narrows in a full thunderstorm. It was outstanding. The pour offs begin to flow and the river rises to where it is mostly floatable. The Narrows are best viewd from your back.

I still get giddy thinking of how much fun I had!

Pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images                 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WOW was it a day trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    WOW was it a day trip?
    Yes. We did Imlay via the shortcut. Trip report here.
    http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2953

It was a great day!

looks like a fantastic trip

waterfalls and increased flow....what more could you want

Looks like a blast! Where were all of the crowds of foreign tourists?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Ok, I'll admit it. If I were there and water started pouring into the narrows from above either by rain or pour-offs, I likely would have soiled myself. The Virgin river has such a huge drainage and a direct storm above would have made me a bit.... no strike that, a whole lot scared. I am a lot less nervous in certain circumstances than I would have been a few years ago after studying maps, the dynamics of flash floods and so forth but the Virgin still is the scariest place for me given the unknown above and up stream. Kudos to the cool heads. You would have seen a new speed record set by me from Imlay to the Temple had I been there with you.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    You would have seen a new speed record set by me from Imlay to the Temple had I been there with you.
    LOL...

I once was stuck in a river bed in Moab in my truck and was digging myself out when I saw a flooded river coming down, within seconds I was in 2 feet of water and nothing I could do. I swear I worked that shovel faster than I ever worked with my hands before. The flash flood is a dangerous thing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Looks like a blast! Where were all of the crowds of foreign tourists?
    That was the beauty of it. We had the canyon to ourselves. We only passed 3-4 people from Imlay to just around Mystery Springs. Before Mystery Springs the sky had long since turned blue and the crowds were starting to gather. There was a giant tour group getting off the shuttle at the temple headed up canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Ok, I'll admit it. If I were there and water started pouring into the narrows from above either by rain or pour-offs, I likely would have soiled myself. The Virgin river has such a huge drainage and a direct storm above would have made me a bit.... no strike that, a whole lot scared. I am a lot less nervous in certain circumstances than I would have been a few years ago after studying maps, the dynamics of flash floods and so forth but the Virgin still is the scariest place for me given the unknown above and up stream. Kudos to the cool heads. You would have seen a new speed record set by me from Imlay to the Temple had I been there with you.
    I admit that I was nervous when it was really coming down for those 15-20 min. I thought Tom would never come down off of that rappel. I was bagging rope as fast as my little arms could muster. However, it wasn't really a death defying trip, if I made it sound that way. It had been clear all day, unlike the day before where it was raining in the morning. The rain also came down in a burst for a short time and really lightened up as we headed down canyon. Finally, Tom didn't seem too concerned, so I relaxed and enjoyed the trip.