Thread: Logistical planning

Logistical planning

So as a segue to my hitch post, some friends are coming out for a visit. Our best friends who vacataioned with us all the time. Can't wait!

They want to see central Idaho for 4 days. They want to bike. I'd like to bring my dog (so I don't have to find a sitter).

Here's my options.

A. Drive my Jeep - which hold 4 people's camp stuff to the gills, but not room for dog, plus need to buy a bike rack/bike bras to put our 2 bikes on. Rent 2 bikes in Stanley for couple. But when we go to a trailhead, we'll have to stash all our camp gear somewhere. No room for 4 bikes AND camp gear in the jeep. Split gas with couple. We pay for rack.

B. Rent a minivan. We're looking at $345 total for rental and over mileage (only get 400 miles). Split gas and cost with couple. But we could fit 4 bikes and gear packed to the gills. I think.

C. We buy a hitch for the jeep $250+. Rent a trailer for under $80. split gas with couple. Put everything in the trailer.

What seems best? Any obvious suggestions I'm missing here? Basically we don't want to make them rent a car themselves for 4 days.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hmmm....

A. You HAVE to bring the dog!

B. I hate minvans....not the answer.
    C. You will have the hitch for future endeavors. You can buy a hitch mount rack for bikes to use for other trips. You can lock the trailer and you'll have plenty of room.

I would go for the hitch and trailer set-up. You get to bring the dog, get a hitch for future use (if you get a bike rack in the future you could get a hitch mount style) and you don't have to be packed to the gills. Just my .02

Looks like I'm sinking money whether I go A, B, or C.

I guess then where do I want to invest my money? Probably the hitch, right?

You're right; I could get a hitch mount bike rack eventually or even pull stuff.

Now off to convince the other half we should get a hitch.

Yes, listen to Angus!!!

Yup, hitch is the way to go, my car is getting it now too

DickHead
    I vote hitch. This way, when you need it later you've got it. Sometime down the road you could even buy a trailer so you don't have to rent.