Thread: Misery Canyon Photos

Misery Canyon Photos

I added some photo's from Misery Canyon to my blog. Kolob Video coming up shortly. Misery and Spry video's to come when I get time. Enjoy.

Eric.

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2006/...yon-again.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

sweet pix

Looks like a fun hike! How long did it take you? Does it require a backcountry permit? Looks like you started by checkboard mesa?

ahh the smell of sulfur. did you make down to the falls in parunaweap?

Saturday we started at Checkerboard, went down Fat Man's, up Parunuweap and out French Canyon. Its a good route that traverses some of the most scenic country on the planet. Only problem is it takes about 3 hours to set up the car shuttle required.

I'll post some pictures soon as I have some free time to download my camera. I hadn't done Fat Man's for about 4 years and it was nice to do it again.

So does it require a permit? And how long does it take? I didn't notice any rappeling in the pictures, is it required?

There is no permit required for Fat Man's. The technical section is outside the park. There are about 4 rappels, the biggest being about 30'. You will want a 100' rope because some of the anchors are located back from the edge.

Now I have a question.... anyone hiked down Poverty Wash to Parunuweap? Down Fat Mans. Up P-weap and out Poverty Wash might be a good route that would cut down greatly on the car shuttle. Only reason I am looking is the section of P-weap between misery and Poverty is awesome but exiting out French is a nasty shuttle. I figure out Poverty can't be any worse then back up and over checkerboard, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Now I have a question.... anyone hiked down Poverty Wash to Parunuweap? Down Fat Mans. Up P-weap and out Poverty Wash might be a good route that would cut down greatly on the car shuttle. Only reason I am looking is the section of P-weap between misery and Poverty is awesome but exiting out French is a nasty shuttle. I figure out Poverty can't be any worse then back up and over checkerboard, am I right?
    I remember a twenty foot drop that couldn't be bypassed if you're hiking up Poverty Wash from Parunaweap. Not sure how the route would eliminate the shuttle, but I'm not sure which canyon is French Canyon either.

Quote Originally Posted by snatch
    ahh the smell of sulfur. did you make down to the falls in parunaweap?
    Yea we did, the swimming holes in that area were the highlight of the trip. One of these day's I'll get a video of the canyon and the fun on the river afterward posted.

Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonquest
    I remember a twenty foot drop that couldn't be bypassed if you're hiking up Poverty Wash from Parunaweap. Not sure how the route would eliminate the shuttle, but I'm not sure which canyon is French Canyon either.
    French Canyon exits out the south side of Parunuweap. Exiting north out Poverty Wash would not eliminate the shuttle, but it would cut it down to a more managable 30 to 60 minutes.

Next question.... where Poverty Wash meets P-weap there was a flowing creek and no trail. 100 yards down stream from Poverty Wash was a good trail exiting up a smaller side drainage. I'm guessing the trail is the actual route out of Poverty Wash? Also, I thought I heard about a Poverty Wash cattle trail, maybe this is the better trail I saw just downstream? Anyone know?