Thread: Tent trailers

Tent trailers

I am shopping around for a tent trailer now. I was just wondering if anyone has one and to hear their pros and cons about one? I am looking at one of these: http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/element/

At first I was going to get a used one, but my wife talked me into getting a brand new one. So now before I dish out the cash, wanted to ask you guys?

Thoughts?

PS: I am NOT getting rid of my backpacking gear or tent. This is strictly for family campground camping!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ahhhhh... the memories. we had a coleman(?) when i was a kid. never had a gripe. set up was easy, jack and steady until level was always smooth if a little labor. don'y knoiw how they set up now though. toilet (but no privacy), sink, stove, beds, fridge, all you need for more creature comforts. it even held up well in sustained 70mph winds on padre island. we of course went inot the rec center, hoping to not find it in the canal coem morning. i would say they are more than worth the investment if used frequently.
    signature

The reason I want a pop up tent instead of a trailer or an RV is because of the last weekend. I walked through the campground and saw a few RVs and a few 5th wheels parked in the campgrounds. NOONE was around, everyone were inside and I could hear some movie playing. I don't understand the reason for it at all. I like the idea of the tent trailer, because it's still a tent and a place to hide in a rain storm.... anyways, sounds like we are going to get one and I will post my own review with pictures for others, if they are interested

PS: Thanks for your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    The reason I want a pop up tent instead of a trailer or an RV is because of the last weekend. I walked through the campground and saw a few RVs and a few 5th wheels parked in the campgrounds. NOONE was around, everyone were inside and I could hear some movie playing. I don't understand the reason for it at all. I like the idea of the tent trailer, because it's still a tent and a place to hide in a rain storm.... anyways, sounds like we are going to get one and I will post my own review with pictures for others, if they are interested

PS: Thanks for your opinion!

agreed on all points. the rv's and 5th wheelers are just mobile motels. the tent trailer lets you feel more like your camping but is waaay more comfy than a 1" foam pad and mummy bag. the only time we got in it was for sleep, meals, waste disposal, and dominoes or cards. otherwise it was fish hike swim PLAY !

hope your family enjoys it as much as we did.
    signature

I think the benefit of the tent trailer is mostly that it is much smaller and lighter than the typical RV.

The newer "pop ups" are being designed to better survive dirt road travels. Larger tires, better suspension, more ground clearence.

I am not a fan of RV parks or crowded camp grounds so getting a ways away from the pavement is a requiement.

If you are the type that likes RV parks and camp grounds I do not really recommend a pop up. You can easily hear everything in camp and your neighbors can drive you nuts.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Oh no I hate RV parks that's for sure. I am getting the popup so I can drive it off somewhere on the easy 4WD road and use my camping gear to enjoy the solitude and still have fun with the kid and a wife :)

Anyways, I went out and bought it brand new.... I am picking it up on Friday, the car has to get fixed first. I will let you guys know the full details with pics :)

Thanks again for all the advice! This site rocks

Please do let us know how it turns out. I might be in the same boat myself soon. I'm very curious how the tent trailer would handle dirt roads (e.g. Hole in the Rock, Notom, west desert roads, etc.).

One (of the many) potential benefits of the rise in gas prices is that we might see a market grow for reasonably sized RV's in this country. During an extended trip to New Zealand a few years ago, I marvelled at the sleek, lean, efficient RV's which were prevalent there. Based on Toyota van chassis, with four cylinder engines, but all the camping needs For example
    I really wish you could get things like this over here, for those of us that might like a little more shelter for some backcountry outings, and to extend the camping season into the colder, darker months of the year, but who have no interest (nor the money to squander) in buying some massive gas guzzler that can't even get to where we want to anyway.

Well I still haven't picked it up, since my car is still in the shop (wife got rear ended). I am picking it up on Thursday and then heading out on my vacation (none RV) the very next day. So my write up with pics won't be available until early August.

Once I get it and get it setup, you are welcome to stop by my house and climb through it and talk none salesman talk :) I live on the east side of SL Valley.

Can I sleep in it in your driveway? Just wondering.....

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.