Thread: Factory Butte 7/1

Factory Butte 7/1

Guess I am going to go check out what all the hoopla is about at factory butte in the AM.

Join me??
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

July 1 we decided to go check out an area in eastern Utah called Factory Butte. This is an area of raging controversy as it was designated an open riding area. Like a sand dune. The land is a barren clay like material that when dry is light and fluffy and fun to run around in. Lots of rolling hills and dunes all surrounding the main "Factory Butte" plateau. Factory Butte is surrounded by an ancient seabed whose dramatic, knife-edged ridges and steep slopes are recognized around the world. The environmentalists are claiming the OHV riders are destroying the scenic beauty of the area. This is pure unadulterated LIES. Yes the OHVs leave tracks but one rain storm and they vanish. The greens claim that vegetation is being destroyed, again LIES. There is little or NO vegetation and in most cases where there is any the OHV users are either avoiding it or the terrain is too rough to go there. As you can see from my photos nowhere there is any vegitation do you see any OHV tracks.

The entire area was assessed and reviewed several years ago and it was determined that it's use as an open OHV use area would have little or NO lasting environmental impact and was the perfect area for this type of activities. This place isn't called the "Badlands" for nothing.

But the greens want everything in Utah that's not private land set aside as protected wilderness. The SWUA group recently proposed a compromise with the OHV users where they would allow us to keep 3% of what was already designated for our use. Can you guess what our answer was? Their proposal only proved how ridiculous this group is. Their tactics are deceptive and misleading. They post photos to the web of one tinny area and claim the entire area looks like in the picture. They claim photographers cant take a picture of Factory Butte without damage from OHV trails showing up in the photographs... I took a bunch shown below, can you see tracks in the photos of the Butte? I sure cant and any that we made will disappear after the next rain storm hits.

Now one word of caution, we went July 1st, NOT a good idea. It was 110 degrees in the shade of our tent. We went prepared and had a great time but we all drank so much water we started to grow gills. Had it not been an overcast day we would not have even unloaded the quads. We had a blast but then as I said we went prepared for the heat and the lack of shade or water.

It's a great place to go play for the day in early spring or even during the winter as the place gets little snow.

From left to right, Bubba (little brother Darin), Alan (my youngest son) Keri (sister in-law), Kyler (nephew), Redman (middle brother Shannon), Kaylee (niece), and Myself (ATVUtah Gary)
    Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
    Buy my book my poor Quad needs gas money

Thanks for the pics and info! I have been wanting to ride there for a while. I will definately try this when it cools a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ATVUtah
    July 1 we decided to go check out an area in eastern Utah called Factory Butte. This is an area of raging controversy as it was designated an open riding area. Like a sand dune. The land is a barren clay like material that when dry is light and fluffy and fun to run around in. Lots of rolling hills and dunes all surrounding the main "Factory Butte" plateau. Factory Butte is surrounded by an ancient seabed whose dramatic, knife-edged ridges and steep slopes are recognized around the world. The environmentalists are claiming the OHV riders are destroying the scenic beauty of the area. This is pure unadulterated LIES. Yes the OHVs leave tracks but one rain storm and they vanish. The greens claim that vegetation is being destroyed, again LIES. There is little or NO vegetation and in most cases where there is any the OHV users are either avoiding it or the terrain is too rough to go there. As you can see from my photos nowhere there is any vegitation do you see any OHV tracks.

The entire area was assessed and reviewed several years ago and it was determined that it's use as an open OHV use area would have little or NO lasting environmental impact and was the perfect area for this type of activities. This place isn't called the "Badlands" for nothing.

But the greens want everything in Utah that's not private land set aside as protected wilderness. The SWUA group recently proposed a compromise with the OHV users where they would allow us to keep 3% of what was already designated for our use. Can you guess what our answer was? Their proposal only proved how ridiculous this group is. Their tactics are deceptive and misleading. They post photos to the web of one tinny area and claim the entire area looks like in the picture. They claim photographers cant take a picture of Factory Butte without damage from OHV trails showing up in the photographs... I took a bunch shown below, can you see tracks in the photos of the Butte? I sure cant and any that we made will disappear after the next rain storm hits.
    during the winter as the place gets little snow.
    You're preaching to the choir, dude. Hope you ATV folk over here are having fun giving each other warm fuzzies about how stupid environmental fruitcakes are and patting each other on the back for discovering their conspiricy against all americans! Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by ATVUtah

But the greens want everything in Utah that's not private land set aside as protected wilderness.
    this is...what did you call it?......LIES

i am not even going to touch the rest.

I hate it when people on either side generalize, use hyperbole, propoganda, and for whatever reason mistate facts. It inhibits understanding and soulutions to real issues and It serves no one.

Fact: Utah has within its borders approximately 22 million acres currently being managed by BLM.

Fact: SUWA and Co. are calling for somewhere between 9-10 MILLION acres of those 22 million to be designated Wilderness under the Wilderness Act of 1964.

So it's not all of the non-private land. But it is 40-45% of BLM managed land. That
    Utah Shared Access Alliance (USA-ALL)
    Keeping The Public in Public Land
    ATV, Motorcycle, Snowmobile, 4WD, Sportsman, RV, PWC, OHV
    JOIN TODAY !
    www.usaall.org

I
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott,

Very fair response. Most of those figures were off of the top of my head. Although I would take some issue with your rebuttal of the claim that OHV tracks disappear. There are a number of factors that must be considered. It is true that some tracks may be visible for years. While others do vanish within a few rainstorms or over a period of months. I have personally experienced this. Aspect, slope, soil type, and other climactic factors must be considered. To simply generalize either way is fallacious.

There are large areas where there is ZERO vegetation, whether his pictures represent that or not. The point that is being made is this place provides OHV riders an opportunity to travel in an unconfined manner where there is very little impact to other resources. Places were this type of activity can occur are rare. The land surrounding the Factory Butte Geographical area is either completely off limits to OHV
    JOIN TODAY !
    www.usaall.org

Although I would take some issue with your rebuttal of the claim thatOHV tracks disappear. There are a number of factors that must be considered. It is true that some tracks may be visible for years. While others do vanish within a few rainstorms or over a period of months. I have personally experienced this. Aspect, slope, soil type, and other climactic factors must be considered. To simply generalize either way is fallacious.
    I was only saying they did not disappear, but I didn't mean some couldn't have. I should have rephrased it better. Maybe some do, but not all. I never lived in the Grand Junction area before the closure, so can't say how many have disappeared. I do know that many are still visible. The ones on the hills are highly visible from the freeway (wait for my promised photos!), partially because water began to run down them over the years. Others are still visible, but since I never saw anything before the closure, I wouldn't know how many were there before.

[quote]There are large areas where there is ZERO vegetation, whether his pictures represent that or not. The point that is being made is this place provides OHV riders an opportunity to travel in an unconfined manner where there is very little impact to other resources. Places were this type of activity can occur are rare. The land surrounding the Factory Butte Geographical area is either completely off limits to OHV
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

[quote]This is an ideal place for their use and if

First off I have appreciated the civility of this discussion. It is refreshing.

I really don
    JOIN TODAY !
    www.usaall.org

But we have "meddled" with nature long enough that to simply stop managing the land (cold turkey) may be more damaging to what many of us seek to protect. Is it the responsible thing to do at this point? Is this making any sense?
    Yes it does make sense. Much of the bark beetle problem is a result of decades of fire suppression.

I have a problem with limiting access to some of these places and leaving it only for the most fit and healthy among our population. Surely you can see the logic in that.
    Well sort of. There are a small percentage of people that can't access much of the wilderness (though there are still other ways, such as flatwater canoeing). I would be happy to take those who are unable out on my canoe free of charge to see some wilderness, where it is accessible to canoes (such as the Black Ridge Wilderness). I also support the wilderness on wheels where wilderness trails are made accessible to wheelchairs. Colorado has some; more is needed in all states where applicable.

Perhaps there should be exceptions for the handicapped so they can access some wild areas. It could be a good thing. That's a different situation than that of a healthy person, and they certainly have my sympathy and understanding.

However, you statement that leaving it for the most fit and healthy simply isn't accurate in my eyes. Almost anyone can visit the wilderness, and they have my warm welcome to do so.

Here is a photo of my four year old son and 62 year old father topping out on the most remote 14,000 foot peak in Colorado. It is in the heart of the largest wilderness area in Colorado.

Unfortunately, I agree that a disabled person can't make it up there (but can view it), but for everyone else, it is there and waiting. You, me, and everyone else have the warm welcome to visit, and you will always have my friendly welcome to do so.

if you close it off to motorized access you will deny a large percentage of the population the opportunity to enjoy it.
    I will kindly disagree with the statement "large percentage". It will be only a small percentage that would be unfortunately unable to visit even the most remote wilderness. Perhaps some sort of exception should be made for them. I don't know the solution for that small percentage, but perhaps something should be done. The rest of the vast majority however, would be fully able to enjoy the wilderness as you see from the photo above. Vehicles, not people would be what is locked out.

If you knew how much access (established routes) has been closed for a variety of reasons you would understand why many feel as though they have already compromised
    I do know of many (Salt Creek, Swaseys Leap, etc), but on the other hand, what about some previously quiet and uplifting places that have now been over run by ATV's? It works both ways. Some of the areas we previously loved are no longer desirable anymore.

A number of roads that SUWA disputes are clearly a road, even if they may find some sections of it that are difficult to discern.
    Maybe so(?), but on the opposite side, many roads claimed are not roads at all anymore. Quandary Canyon is a prime example. There was actually a road in there before 1956. It hasn't been used since, and in fact, you have to use ropes (to rappels) to access the drill hole that was there in the 50's! No joke! Is it still a road? The county says yes, SUWA says no.

I can specifically think of one road that has been recently closed and was used right up to the day before it was closed.
    Go ahead and list it if you would like. No offense will be taken.

At what point can you logically draw the line?
    That's where the disagreement comes in. As I said, I am not a member of SUWA, nor do I even agree with all of their beliefs. However, I am much closer to their ideals than say USA All or Blue Ribbon Coalition. I will even go as far as to say there is some dishonesty in all three groups, though the later two seem to have more in my eyes.

Why do we want wilderness, for what purpose? Who are we preserving it for? How do we know they want it preserved? How will Wilderness affect current and future generations?
    Now those are excellent, excellent questions. Excellent ones! Here are my ideals"

Wilderness is not just about hiking. It also preserves clean water, pure air, wildlife, and nature. Since this is a Utah board, I'm sure we will all agree that most of the water used in Utah for drinking and other uses comes from the wilderness areas? Would you agree? If you want to be grossed out, try to find out where much of the Midwest gets their water. Yuck!

Also, do you like views of unscarred land, even if you don't hike? How is the experience of simply living in SLC and looking out the window? Do you enjoy the views of Twin Peaks, Lone Peak, and Mount Timpanogos. Would the view be enhanced or detracted from with radio towers, tracks, etc? You never actually have to set a foot in the wilderness to be a wilderness user!

Once the wilderness is gone, it is hard to recover. Future generations must have unscarred land to gage the world.

We also have to look at benefits to society in the long run. What are the health benefits of having areas to have recreation? No offence to anyone, but America needs a more physically healthy population. No one could argue that wilderness sports are not without any health benefits. There is a scientific benefit to the wilderness as well.

Now, ATVing does have its place. What would be the physical and scientific value of it though? Look way into the future. No doubt, it is fun and stimulating, but like watching the football game on TV, does it have a benefit to society? Maybe it does.

[quote] Why can

There's too much reading in this thread for me.