Thread: Kolob - Day 3 TCF

Kolob - Day 3 TCF

This was the best canyon of the trip. Unfortunately, my camera battery died very shortly into the canyon.

Tom, Rich and I worked our way down from the Lava Point/West Rim Trailhead to find the entrance to Kolob. This was my first truly class C canyon and the flow seemed especially high that day.

I squeezed into my 4/3 wetsuit and added a 2 mil shortee for extra warmth. We worked our way down canyon through the rappels and swims. I was having a blast, but couldn't help but think of the Boy Scout leaders who had died in there over a decade before. You could really be in trouble with much more flow.

We scooted out to the last 160' rappel. Evidently there used to be a log that prior canyoneers used as a staging platform. It was washed out. This rappel was in the waterfall all the way down. The water would crash on your helmet with the force of hammers. I admit I was happy to be able to swim away free from the undertow at the bottom and I let out a scream of victory. It was total joy...once you were safely done.

We started the long hike out working our way downcanyon. There were two other short rappels but the water was high enough that we were able to jump those. Out the MIA for the second time in 3 days. We decided we were not doing Oak, as originally planned, to make it 3 times in 5 days.

The few pics I could take before my battery died are below.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice TR! Thanks!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Re: TR - Kolob - Day 3 TCF

Quote Originally Posted by hike2kolob
    This was the best canyon of the trip. Unfortunately, my camera battery died very shortly into the canyon.

great TR
    hope to do it soon ,at least if the fire go off
    great great

Wow Jason is bustin out the canyons like a mo-fo. Nice pics! I'm getting stoked for my trip this weekend. Too bad all the canyons we planned are closed still . Hopefully Zion isn't too much of a mad house this weekend.

Eric.