Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UHP Commander charged with DUI

UHP Commander charged with DUI

Wow, what a pathetic loser!!! Here's the KSL link:
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=333629

Fred Swain, COMMANDER of the Utah Highway Patrol DUI squad -- yes, the DUI squad, has been charged with driving under the influence.

Quote Originally Posted by KSL
    According to police, Swain was driving his unmarked vehicle at 2:30 in the morning last Friday, when he lost control.
    A breathalyzer test taken two hours after the accident showed a .116 blood alcohol content, which is .03 over the legal limit.
    However, Utah Highway Patrol is conducting their own internal investigation and Swain is currently on paid administrative leave.
    My favorite part? Swain is currently on paid administrative leave that you and I are paying for. Love it!

Here are some crystal clear photos from KSL's site:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: UHP Commander charged with DUI

Utah Highway Patrol is conducting their own internal investigation and Swain is currently on paid administrative leave.
    Fox gaurding the hen house???

I've been down this road before... Unless some prosecutor wants to try and make a name this will just disappear. Evidence will be lost or tainted or witnesses will fail to appear, error found in the report, plea bargained down to open container, yada-yada.

Anyone want to place a bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Utah Highway Patrol is conducting their own internal investigation and Swain is currently on paid administrative leave.
    Fox gaurding the hen house???
    Sorry,

I should have added "UHP was actually the agency called out on the crash, but they turned the investigation over to Draper Police, a standard procedure when their own employee is involved." in my highlights of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Here are some crystal clear photos from KSL's site:
    They photogropher must have had his beer goggle lens on.
    Maybe they were trying to get the Commanders perspective on the story.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    the investigation over to Draper Police
    I called it

Watching the Draper police in action is kinda like watching a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Posted by Iceaxe currently living in Draper

You know, this is actually kind of sad. This guy's career is effectively over. Even if the courts don't get him, P.O.S.T. (the police officer certification folks) will. One thing I have noticed with police, they are cannibalistic when one of their own does something bad. Unlike some who think this thing will be swept under the rug, I predict the opposite, particularly since it hit the news. This fellow is going down and going down hard.
    Life is Good

We need to alert WindWalkers of this thread. The ole copper...

It was unclear why Swain's accident and arrest did not come to light until Thursday, nearly a week after the fact. Asked why the UHP did not inform the news media of the incident, McCleve said, "My job is not to do your job."
    OK, I get it now.... this was GOING to be swept under the carpet. This wreak happen last Thursday.... almost one week ago. Then the news media got a hold of the story.....

The guy is now toast....

Still... I don't really feel sorry for him. He more then anyone should have known the damage a DUI can cause. I'm probably one of the few who feel the law is to strict for a first offense. I've seen several lives ruined and good jobs lost by a DUI.

Full SL Tribune Story
    http://www.sltrib.com/ci_3997456

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    As long as we're on public officials screwing up, don't forget about this guy.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=331907
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Here's the thing with this @$$hole. He's the same dude that will tell somebody the most extreme situations when he has pulled them over. He'll tell them how somebody was under the influence and ran into a car and killed them and

These kind of guys are infamous for "telling you how it is" when they pull you over. Then, they'll act like they're the good guy by saying, "You know, I could actually take you to jail for speeding, but I won't." So then you want to take him out to dinner when he hands you a ticket for ONLY $80, because that's better than jail.

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    As long as we're on public officials screwing up, don't forget about this guy.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=331907
    Oh yeah, the Riverton city manager charged for voyeurism. He resigned. I'm surprised he didn't get a PAID ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE also.

The Riverton City Manager is accused of peeking over a tanning salon partition at a 16-year-old girl who was undressing in an adjacent booth.
    Well she didn't look 16.

I swear officer.... she said she was 18.

I've figured it out. I know why they can send Swain on a paid vacation. It's because of all the DUI's he's handed out! Then, they added his to the list, and altogether they raised enough revenue to send him on a Carribean Cruise.

And what's this part about he "may" lose his drivers licence?

I know several folks with DUI's and they ALL lost their licence. Also, the fine they pay to the state is small potatoes in the big picture. They better add anther zero to what the fish wrapper printed after you factor in insurance and lawyers and stuff.

Damn Lawyers -

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    You know, this is actually kind of sad. This guy's career is effectively over. Even if the courts don't get him, P.O.S.T. (the police officer certification folks) will. One thing I have noticed with police, they are cannibalistic when one of their own does something bad. Unlike some who think this thing will be swept under the rug, I predict the opposite, particularly since it hit the news. This fellow is going down and going down hard.
    How can this be sad, he did it to himself, nobody made him drive drunk. Him of all people being the COMMANDER of the Utah Highway Patrol DUI squad. I hope he does jailtime has to pay all the fines loses his licence just like everybody should that gets a DUI. There is no reason for one if your going to drink find a driver first it's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    And what's this part about he "may" lose his drivers licence?

I know several folks with DUI's and they ALL lost their licence. Also, the fine they pay to the state is small potatoes in the big picture. They better add anther zero to what the fish wrapper printed after you factor in insurance and lawyers and stuff.

Damn Lawyers -
    Hey now.... I resemble that statement..... er a resent that statement. Yes the price of a DUI's is big. Fines and fees are about 2000-3000 after paying fines, surcharges, mandatory evaluations, counseling etc. Tack on lawyers 1500 to 3000 plus insurance rates going through the roof yikes. So all your buddies lost their license? And they had lawyers? no comment.

Quote Originally Posted by davis-b-1
    How can this be sad, he did it to himself, nobody made him drive drunk. Him of all people being the COMMANDER of the Utah Highway Patrol DUI squad. I hope he does jailtime has to pay all the fines loses his licence just like everybody should that gets a DUI. There is no reason for one if your going to drink find a driver first it's not that hard.
    I have represented many, many dui clients all over this state. I know the mistake that it is and the far reaching effects it has on the individual. I also am keenly aware of the impact drunk driving has on society. My former receptionist's sister and my runner's mother were killed by a dui driver. Tough funeral. I have called in two dui drivers myself. One case was resolved by plea bargain. The other--well, the cops screwed up the blood draw and the case was dismissed. My point is that where this UHP officer's case has gone public, he will likely suffer the normal punishments but now he gets the added insult that the media brings. I am not sympathetic as to the crime but I still feel for the guy. Let's see, he already has given up his job which he will never get again, he has publicly admitted to a drinking problem which goes back a few years which usually suggests that other problems in his life are unresolved, plus he will likely get more of a sentence because of his position of trust in the community and having breached that public trust and having bloodied the nose of the UHP. Sad??? yes it is sad to see any one go through what he is dealing with. Should he be punished??? absolutely. Harsher than Joe Shmo on the street? I think that he already has been punished more than the average DUI offender simply because of the media and that is likely not the end of it for him.
    Life is Good

Shouldn't it be like that judge who was stoned during court? They had to revoke all of the sentences he had given to drug dealers, because he himself was using drugs.

Although I believe DUI's should be even more harsh, considering the number of alcohol related deaths each year, I'm not saying all of those people should be released of their charges. I just want to know what those people think who were pulled over by Swain.

My cousin and my best friend were killed by a drunk driver. I've seen both sides.....

My biggest problem is the guy who has 2 or 3 DUI's and continues to drive drunk, not the guy who makes a once in a lifetime mistake.

My cousin was married with 2 little kids. The guy who killed my cousin had 5 DUI's, no licence and no insurance. The guy who killed my cousin was also married with two little kids. He did serve one year in jail but in the end everyone was a loser. Including you and I who ended up supporting both families on welfare.

As for losing the licence..... all the cases I know of were 10 to 15 years ago. I believe the law at the time was mandatory loss of licence. For a while you could get a work permit but I know that part was revoked at the time.

And YUP! a good lawyer does wonders..... just anther of the many injustices of our legal system. It's not really about if you are guilty or not, its if you can afford a good enough attorney..... now back to you O.J. for a golf report.

I am new to this forum but had to comment on this one. Lt Swain will never work as a cop again in the state of Utah. POST will make sure of that. The troopers are very strict on punishing their own who scew up. The previous comments make me wonder if you have a hard on for all law enforcement.

Most of them do a great job for little pay and when one screws up he needs to be punished. Lt Swain will be punished and the State of Utah will make sure of it.
    fourwheelerfanatic

Quote Originally Posted by wojo342
    The previous comments make me wonder if you have a hard on for all law enforcement.
    mmmm, cops.

Quote Originally Posted by wojo342
    Most of them do a great job for little pay
    I know, it actually surprised me how little they make. It's kind of like school teachers though. They know exactly what salary they will be making before they commit to that career.

I've got respect for law enforcement, I even thought about doing it. But when I see arrogance displayed like this, it drives me absolutely insane.