Thread: Boundary - First Day of TCF

Boundary - First Day of TCF

After arriving in Zion at 2:30 am, I managed to sleep about 1.5 hours on the ground in front of the grill of my car in a parking spot. I woke up to meet the crew gathering in front of the Zions VC, ready for Boundary. I met Carol from SLC, Paul from SLC, Tom from Mt. Carmel and John from Cedar City filming a documentary about canyoneering. We first waited over an hour for Tom to navigate the permit line trying to get a permit for Das Boot the next day...no luck, we would have to pick another canyon to do.

We drove up to the Lava Point/West Rim Trailhead and began our short bushwack to the opening of Boundary. The earth gaped open beneath our feet. We ate a little brunch and dawned the wetsuits. We opted to descend the watercourse rather than the 150' plus rappel to the side. The canyon was also flowing slightly. It was a beautiful marginally class C canyon. Very green. Then the first of two MIA exits in three days, Kolob to come on Friday.

Pics below.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Those are the best pictures of Boundary I have seen to date..... thanks

Awesome TR! VERY NICE PICS!!! Thank you!!

I really liked this one:

It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Nice pictures. We may end up there this weekend or next week if we can get to the trail head from Cedar City side.

2 questions

1) I noticed pictures of the permit line. This was for the next day, right? Or does the park want people to get permits for this one too since you'll be crossing through the park eventually?

2) I noticed at least some of you had suits on. Were they a) Necessary? (I assume the answer is no, based on what i've heard.) b) Something you were glad you had or c) Dead weight on a 100 degree day?

WOW! soooo many photos...sweet!!!

i almost forgot that i was sitting at my computer

1) Yes, Tom was standing in the Line for a permit for Das Boot the next day, with no luck. I think most consider a permit for Boundary unecessary, because I believe the Raps and exit are out of the Park, but the Park may take a different stance.

2) I was glad I had my wetsuit, because we were taking our time and I was taking pictures. YMMV. The technical section was short (I am comparing to Kolob) so if you move fast you might need just a shortee or go without.

I had a great week. I only wish that Imlay was not closed the day we planned to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_ski_cowboy
    Nice pictures. We may end up there this weekend or next week if we can get to the trail head from Cedar City side.

2 questions

1) I noticed pictures of the permit line. This was for the next day, right? Or does the park want people to get permits for this one too since you'll be crossing through the park eventually?

2) I noticed at least some of you had suits on. Were they a) Necessary? (I assume the answer is no, based on what i've heard.) b) Something you were glad you had or c) Dead weight on a 100 degree day?

I really like this one:

Re: TR - Boundary - First Day of TCF

Quote Originally Posted by hike2kolob

We drove up to the Lava Point/West Rim Trailhead and began our short bushwack to the opening of Boundary. The earth gaped open beneath our feet. We ate a little brunch and dawned the wetsuits. We opted to descend the watercourse rather than the 150' plus rappel to the side. The canyon was also flowing slightly. It was a beautiful marginally class C canyon. Very green. Then the first of two MIA exits in three days, Kolob to come on Friday.

Pics below.
    Hi ,
    was nice to see you again and discover you are also in uutah
    gorgeous pictures,if i was not too optmistic with only 2 caffeine pills i will not forgot my pack in camp with all my things until i realize at trailhead!!!
    so my honeymoon trip trought boundary went without any single picture.\

was great
    mostly when you have somebody carryng everything (included my 15lb of wetsuit) up to MIA
    Cri

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    was great mostly when you have somebody carryng everything (included my 15lb of wetsuit) up to MIA Cri
    Gosh.. the MIA doesn't count if you don't carry your own gear.....

I bet I know what you had to promise the poor fool to get him to play pack mule for you

Some guys will do anything just for a maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Gosh.. the MIA doesn't count if you don't carry your own gear.....

I bet I know what you had to promise the poor fool to get him to play pack mule for you

Some guys will do anything just for a maybe
    Gas to Zion $40
    6.5MM Full Wetsuit Rental $15
    Donuts for Breakfast $4
    Your girlfriend realizing what a stud you are for carrying her gear up the MIA priceless

Jason,

i'm amazed how well those shots came out through that waterproof case.
    what brand was is again?

after our mystery debauckle, i'm in the market for a new digi camera...

Awesome TR!!!

Just what I like....a little text and a plethora of photos...

Awesome TR, great photos! :)

Quote Originally Posted by marc olivares
    Jason,

i'm amazed how well those shots came out through that waterproof case.
    what brand was is again?

after our mystery debauckle, i'm in the market for a new digi camera...
    Marc, It was great to place a personality with the icon. You guys made the trip fun. Hope to do a canyon again sometime.

I was pleased with many of the pictures, but I am working on which modes work best. I was also pleased with the waterproof case, but it seemed very bulky at times. I am working on a new way to strap it to my backpack straps.

The camera is a Cannon SD700 IS. I bought it at Costco online after my old elf froze up due to sand. The case is specially made for the camera and is available through newegg.com. I would love to try it scuba diving sometime.