input on whether or not we are way off base. All three of us are
    experienced and up to the physical challenges. Has anybody done the
    Full deal in a day? Any advice?

West Rim to Potato hollow

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Full Imlay in a day - Group Advice

[quote=nelsonccc]Bottom of last rappel to Temple of Sinava
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

I think your estimate looks good as long as those in your group are experienced, everyone can pull their weight, and you guys leap-frog rap stations.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I think you are trying to eat an Elephant sandwich.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but are you going to enjoy it? You will be dang tired by the time you reach the best part of Imlay. If I were doing Imlay in a day I believe the short-cut is the way to fly. The short cut gets the best of the canyon.

One other thought, Imlay is currently closed because of fire. It will probably be open by the 8th but have a back-up plan ready.

imlay

I went through the Imlay shortcut route on June 18Th. Our group size was 3. We had not done it before. It had pretty good water in it at that time. We had to hook out of three potholes. One of them could have been done with partner assistants but it was cooler to use the Happy hooker! We got a red permit at the visitor center so we could park at the Grotto. We hit the trail at 4:40 AM and were all drinking an icy cold malt beverage at 2:00 PM. We did all but the last to Raps with a 72 foot long slug. A 60 footer would have been too short for 3 of the rappels.
    We also had time to stop and eat in between the extreme narrows and the exit narrows. We also had time to snap about 50 pics as well. I will say this. We are all experienced so we were able to move fairly quickly.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Mike

Matt Holmes and I did the full Imlay in a day about a month ago. Good luck! It was our first time doing Imlay. I think the rappels will slow you down the most. With three people, it seems to me you will always have to be waiting, and all that down time builds up. Two people can leap frog more efficiently. Though you probably already have your party picked out, I'd reccomend only going w/ two people.

We only hooked out of 2 holes, the water level seemed pretty high. But since we'd never been, I don't know how that compares.
    Also, of course, take the absolute bare minimum of gear, skimp on everything you can.
    We also only took about 10 pictures, until our "waterproof" camera case leaked and so didn't spend much time at all with that.
    Here are our times for comparison (we get our jollies off of moving fast...)
    West Rim to Potato hollow

TR-Full Imlay in a Day - Mini Epic

Ever wonder what happens when you combine a major canyon, three people, food poisoning, and rain?

It seemed like a good idea, we

Thanks for sharing

And look at the bright side..... next time you can just do the Sneak and Peek because you have already done the upper canyon

Thank you for the update. When you guys didn't make it for the potluck I kept asking, what happened to the guys doing the full Imlay. You have solved one mystery from my trip. Sorry you guys had some tough luck.

Tom and I awoke at 4:00 that morning and were packed and ready to go. We went to wait for the rest of the group at the trail and waited until 5:15. With a light smattering of rain on the windshield we figured everyone bagged it on account of weather. We went back to camp and went to bed.

I slept in until 10. I woke up to a squirrel in my tent on my feet. I screamed like a little girl, then it jumped in the air about a foot and ran out.

We later exchanged our Imlay permit and did Echo, with a light rain at moments. We did Imlay on Sunday instead. Trip report shortly.

Jason R.

Were you guys the ones in the BMW? We saw it pull up and park Sunday morning while we were huddled across the street. We were going to ask for a ride up to the Temple but figured we might as well wait a little longer for the shuttle. We wondered what people would think of the footprints going the wrong way on the Sneak route. Hope you had fun.

Yes that was us Sunday morning. I didn't see you huddled, sorry. I would have glady help you with a ride out after a painful bivy.

Actually, now that you mention it I did see some "wrong way" footprints, which I remember thinking was a little odd. I'm just glad you are all safe.

I'm glad you guys all made it safe!!

Seriously though, which one of us here HASN'T had a VERY bad day in a canyon? One that easily could turn disastrous, but didn't due to good preparation, and sound decision-making in the heat of the moment?

I'm willing to bet that it has happened to us all. I had an experience like that in The Squeeze a few years back. They are learning experiences, and are scary as hell at the time.

Thanks for sharing!
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    When you going to finish eating the elephant sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by Angel
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    When you going to finish eating the elephant sandwich?
    We had planned on hitting Heaps on the 28th of this month, but now everybody is dying to get back into Imlay and conquer the beast. At least now we know the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by hike2kolob
    I slept in until 10. I woke up to a squirrel in my tent on my feet. I screamed like a little girl, then it jumped in the air about a foot and ran out.
    Jason R.
    poor squirrel must be almost risk an heart attack!!!!!
    now he will have nightmares fro the rest of his life!!!
    next time wash your feet before go to bed and that will not happen again!!!