Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earthy/outdoorsy baby boy name suggestions?

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman1830
    I know a guy, Dusty Rhoads, cant for get his 'brother' Rocky Rhodes, but Dusty would be my pick, off the top of my head. Maybe Bridger?
    I like Bridger. I was thinking more along the lines of the Wild West type names. I've got a really good friend who is among the "real macho men" type and his name is Chance. It's his name and how he lives his life. Some other more western type names could be:

Jackson
    Wyatt
    Houston or Austin (yes - like the cities)
    Porter
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You've really got to think of the welfare of the child. Too many people are naming their kids for their own selfish reasons, just to stand out.

Rule 1-- Make it easy to pronounce when read from the classroom list. If not, immediate nicknames form.

Rule 2-- Easy to spell. Don't take the name "Bo" and turn it into Beaux. Warning, life of hell ahead.

Rule 3-- Think of what they'll be called in their adult life. Child names are only cute until age 12. Then they've got 60+ years ahead of them AFTER that age, being screwed with a stupid name you picked out for your little baby.

Too many people (meaning parents) want to "stick out" or have their baby's name be noticed. Unfortunately, the pleasure does not pass on to the child.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate
    One look at that boys drivers liscense and he's getting a full cavity search. Cache? OK, where is your weed? We can do this the EZ way or you can drop your pants.
    I said Cache, not Stash. Nobody would ever believe the kid was really named Stash. Everybody would think it was his nickname and his locker would always get the double sniff from the police dog.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Rule 3-- Think of what they'll be called in their adult life. Child names are only cute until age 12. Then they've got 60+ years ahead of them AFTER that age, being screwed with a stupid name you picked out for your little baby.
    Do I detect some bitterness here? Sombeech must've seemed like such a cute name for a baby, yet you've been saddled with it into adulthood. Oh the shame.

Seriously, Sombeech is right. I see books of "baby names" and they drive me crazy. Unless infant mortality in your area is over 20% there is no such thing as a "baby name," only adult names given to infants.

I hate the way we name children in our society without knowing anything about them. You see a 300lb guy and his friends call him "tiny," there's a good reason for it. A bald guy named "Curly" is good too. Those names were earned. But we just can't wait to name a baby. 30 seconds after it pops out, "Oh, you're Johnny...." It means (or meant) something to someone a long time ago, but not now, not to me. A 'christian' name is nothing more than an arbitrarily designated non-descriptive moniker.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    Cache would be a cool name for a boy.
    My brothers name is Cache, spelled the same also.

Sombeech the brave!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Shade

Chert

Flint

Rockgremlin

Clay
    I know someone named Galena. How about Sphalerite. Pyrite or Feldspar?

Stupid Hippies.

James

DickHead
    Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000

Stupid Hippies.

James

I'm having a shitty day at work. You, sir, just made my day.

I like these names and even know these people:

River
    Canyon
    Rio
    Birch

Local names:

Bridger
    Cache
    Hunter
    Jackson (don't spell it Jaxon please!)
    Logan

Or something after a really cool peak?

I agree about keeping the spelling normalish. After living here, I've noticed lots of botched versions of spellings.

I was thinking of Jackson if we have a son, but too many people I know beat me to it.

Morgan
    Wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    You've really got to think of the welfare of the child. Too many people are naming their kids for their own selfish reasons, just to stand out.

Rule 1-- Make it easy to pronounce when read from the classroom list. If not, immediate nicknames form.

Rule 2-- Easy to spell. Don't take the name "Bo" and turn it into Beaux. Warning, life of hell ahead.

Too many people (meaning parents) want to "stick out" or have their baby's name be noticed. Unfortunately, the pleasure does not pass on to the child.

I have some friends in Georgia that named their son Aspen Wilder. Oh that poor boy getting his butt kicked all of his school years and then having to say "Hi I'm Aspen" as an adult in Georgia of all places.

When I was going to collage I used to work with a guy who's last name "Fishe". He named his daughter "Goldie".... no lie.... yes, this was a job with your name on the pocket....

I really liked the name "Dusty" for a girl..... but no way in hell was I going to name my daughter "Dusty Burrows". Just about any other last name and my daughter would have been Dusty. Then she wouldn't have needed a stage name to become a stripper

Thanks for your input everyone. I appreciate all the ideas. Now I'll float the top few past the wife and see what happens.

Ok, one more - Brooks.

Ok speaking of awkward names and Cash.

My dad had a business associate (Stock Broker) named Cash Coyne. Parents were into, er, money?

My roommate met a couple of siblings in "urban" Kansas City named

Lemonjelo and Oranjelo (accent the second syllable of each)

poor kids, born when Bill Cosby was at his peak...

Quote Originally Posted by LJ
    I have some friends in Georgia that named their son Aspen Wilder. Oh that poor boy getting his butt kicked all of his school years and then having to say "Hi I'm Aspen" as an adult in Georgia of all places.

I would have changed my name to Scout.

adolf?

Iceaxe, whats wrong with Virgil?
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!