Thread: Hiking with Dog

Hiking with Dog

I need a good hike in Northern Utah that I can do with my dog this weekend. Any suggestions? I'm kind of looking for something I have not done before. Something fun and not a Battan Dead March.

A little help please....

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What to suggest to a guy who has been everywhere?

I really liked it up Shingle Creek and Erickson basin. You can also dip down into Big Elk lake. The dirt road keeps the crowds down also.

I haven't been into Granddaddy basin yet but I'm going to this year. If you head up to the trialhead up North Fork of the Duchesne it's only bout 3 miles in. If you do this one one tomorrow I may be interested in going if you want company.

North slope has some great stuff but may be a little early still.

I was looking at Granddaddy Basin last year..... I have never been there before and it is certainly on my to-do list..... Only problem is its a long drive for a day hike.

Still looking for suggestions.... I have all day to think about it and decide where to go......

Trail up from Smith&Moorehouse?

Which one? I've done the trail from Holiday Park to Abe's Lake but that is the only one. Abe's Lake has primo fishing but the last 1 mile is a SOB. And I don't fish.... that's for old guys

That's the one, well, I'm not much help around here. I'm out (gonna go do some old man's fishing).

You have been a lot of help..... problem is I don't know what I really want to do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Head up Davis canyon in Famington. A series of some pretty neat waterfalls
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

Just a little follow up.... Sage and I went hiking up to Cuberant Lake in the Uintas. I'm thinking of writing a "what happened to Garrett Bardsley" article for my website and figured it would be good to revisit the area again.

If you don't know..... Garrett Bardsley was the kid who went missing in the area two years ago and was never found. I know several members of this forum helped search for him.

Here is his picture:

and here is the info from the missing persons database:

Garrett Bardsley

Garrett Bardsley had successfully passed his outdoor training courses offered by the Utah National Park Council. On Thursday, August 19, 2004, Kevin Bardsley, and six other adult leaders, took his son and 17 boys on a camping trip near Cuberant Lake. The two day excursion into the rugged Uinta Mountains of Utah was sponsored by the Mormon Church which the family attended. It was a part of the wilderness training program for Garrett and his fellow members of Boy Scout Troop 694.

Early that Friday morning, Garrett and Kevin went fishing on the south side of the lake. Around 8 a.m., Garrett got his shoes and socks wet. The temperature was near freezing and it had rained and hailed during the night. Because of this, Kevin thought it was wise to send Garrett back to the campsite to change into dry footwear. He watched as his 12-year-old son walked back to the camp, which was only a few hundred yards away.

Around 11 a.m., when Garrett failed to return, a call was placed to the Summit County law enforcement officials. A search was immediately started for the missing boy. Kevin, law enforcement authorities and volunteers roamed the muddy and steep terrain by foot and horseback. They searched everywhere, including caves, behind rocks and under fallen logs. They would repeatedly call out Garrett's name, hoping to hear a response from him. "One of the difficulties is there is kind of a natural tendency for people, if they're lost, to find some kind of shelter. If they expire, it is virtually impossible to find them," said Summit County Sheriff Department's Captain Joe Offret.

Heidi Bardsley, Garrett's mother, returned on Sunday from a cruise after being notified about her son. More than 200 searchers, air support and dogs joined the search for Garrett. Everyone was concerned that the cold and wet weather would cause the missing boy to suffer from hypothermia. They knew the clothing he was last seen in would not withstand the harsh weather much longer. A strong sense of urgency prevailed in the timing of locating him. "We're holding out hope, but we must be realistic," said Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds. "It's snowed, it's sleeted, and temperatures have dropped below 20 degrees. It's just speculation on my part, but I don't think he made it past the first night."

By Monday, hopes of finding the missing youth alive began to fade. "We remain cautiously optimistic, but as time goes on, it becomes less and less likely," said Edmunds. "But we're never going to stop looking." Captain Offret added, "At this point in the search, a lot of people are saying, is this a search or is it a recovery? Our search and rescue will not give up. They are probably committed at least through the week."

An Amber Alert has been issued on the missing child and the case has received national exposure. Although the search has been officially called off, Heidi and Kevin Bardsley, with help from friends and volunteers, still are searching for Garrett. The family strongly believe Garrett was abducted, since only 30 minutes had elapsed before the adults in the camping party began searching for him. It is felt that he could not have wandered too far off if he were really lost. "We haven't given up hope," said Kevin Bardsley. We don't want to leave Garrett on this mountain. We want to bring him home. "This place is so rugged and so big. All we can do is keep searching and praying and asking for help. We're not going to quit. We will find Garrett but we also feel it's going to be on the Lord's time and by the Lord's will."

Garrett Alexander Bardsley was last seen wearing red sweatpants, a t-shirt, a black hooded sweatshirt, and Converse tennis shoes. He has a small gap between his front teeth and is no longer wearing braces, as shown in circulating flyers and photos. Anyone with information leading to the recovery of Garrett Bardsley should immediately contact the Summit County Sheriff Department at (1-435-615-3600).