Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What ya doin' on the 4th???

White-water rafting on the American river in Nor Cal. Woooo hoooo!!!
    ~Jason

Man who run behind car become exhausted...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by derstuka
    i did that last year for the first time, with a few of my college buddies and friends. it's been a staple for a couple of them since before high school. they keep asking the question, when are we gonna get too old for this? i think the water gun battles between rafts are pretty darn fun in that hot hot sun. it's just too bad how much litter gets thrown into the river. i hear there are major clean up efforts, but i wonder exactly how much you can actually do? so many people out there, i hear it's the most traveled river in the united states.

enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    i did that last year for the first time, with a few of my college buddies and friends. it's been a staple for a couple of them since before high school. they keep asking the question, when are we gonna get too old for this? i think the water gun battles between rafts are pretty darn fun in that hot hot sun. it's just too bad how much litter gets thrown into the river. i hear there are major clean up efforts, but i wonder exactly how much you can actually do? so many people out there, i hear it's the most traveled river in the united states.

enjoy!
    Did you do the American River in Nor Cal? If so, what fork of it? North, South, or Middle? Did you do a full day? Well, my gf and I are scheduled to do the Middle Fork for the full day trip (17-18 miles). Supposed to be class 3 to 4 rapids. Didn't want to kill her on our first trip! Whatever it turns out to be, I am sure it will be lots of fun. Oh, and the other crewmates better not chicken out, because I want to hit the "Tunnel Chute" which is like 90 yards blasted thru solid rock by miners long ago.
    ~Jason

Did you do the American River in Nor Cal? If so, what fork of it? North, South, or Middle? Did you do a full day? Well, my gf and I are scheduled to do the Middle Fork for the full day trip (17-18 miles). Supposed to be class 3 to 4 rapids.
    Yep the american river in nor cal. except, we are doing VERY different parts of it. basically you are doing the part in the foothills of the sierra, the section i was referring to was the EXTREMELY popular section along the city of sacramento (where one of my best friends grew up). there the few rapids are very tiny. basically it's a float which a ridiculous number of people do each year on the 4th of july. i just naturally assumed this is what you meant.

but as you are doing a proper river trip, i mean it even more...ENJOY

You better have a camera handy derstuka. Sounds like a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    You better have a camera handy derstuka. Sounds like a blast!
    I would like to. I wonder how much a waterproof disposable camera costs? I should look into it.

Admit it, you just want to see my gf's nipples again?? hahaha
    ~Jason

Did you do the American River in Nor Cal? If so, what fork of it? North, South, or Middle? Did you do a full day? Well, my gf and I are scheduled to do the Middle Fork for the full day trip (17-18 miles). Supposed to be class 3 to 4 rapids.
    Yep the american river in nor cal. except, we are doing VERY different parts of it. basically you are doing the part in the foothills of the sierra, the section i was referring to was the EXTREMELY popular section along the city of sacramento (where one of my best friends grew up). there the few rapids are very tiny. basically it's a float which a ridiculous number of people do each year on the 4th of july. i just naturally assumed this is what you meant.

but as you are doing a proper river trip, i mean it even more...ENJOY: 2thumbs:
    No, since we will have to drive like 10 hours, we are doing it the right way. I didn't want no pansy trip with 80 year old grandmas floating by us. I believe our start point is Auburn, CA, just north of Sacramento. We are actually gonna be on the river on July 2nd, so hopefully it will not be that bad.
    ~Jason

Yeah, the disposable water proof camera aren't much and well worth it.

Admit it, you just want to see my gf's nipples again?? hahaha
    Uh...no comment.

No, since we will have to drive like 10 hours, we are doing it the right way. I didn't want no pansy trip with 80 year old grandmas floating by us. I believe our start point is Auburn, CA, just north of Sacramento. We are actually gonna be on the river on July 2nd, so hopefully it will not be that bad.
    First, disposable cameras don't have very good lenses. It's almost always better to pay $10-20 bucks for a cheap camera and buy film. plus many disposable cameras have the wrong film (400-800 speed) for the outdoors. but it may be worth your while to buy a waterproof digital camera.

second, while the part of the american river by sac *may* be pansy, it's a seriously MAJOR party. mostly very young people having a great time on the river, having water fights, boozing, eatin', sunnin', enjoying a great, usually hot day on a nice refreshing river. there are some cool rope swings to catch air on, and some nice spots on the river to pull up on. it's a trip seeing so many people all doing the same thing. i just don't like the inevitible trashing of the river. but there is a major effort to clean it up, after it's done.

that all being said, i agree, it's not worth the 10 hour drive. i did it mainly because i had heard about it for years, i was out in n. cali for a week for a wedding, 16 of my friends were doing it and had decided not to go to high sierra music fest that year. but i would take a proper river trip ANY day.

and yes, you better bring photos back wich ya! my friends have done the upper forks and loved them!!

I just purchased Pentax W10 for my water adventures. I got it at Costco for $270, but you can find it online for about 215-240. I like Costco because of their return policy :)

Anyways, it's a waterproof 5MP camera with 640x480 30fps unlimited zoomed movie mode. It's perfect for river running, it's small, light and has a huge LCD screen. I plan on velcroing it to my helmet when I do Westwater canyon in August to show the first person perspective of the cool rapids. Usually when I film through some tough stuff (biking, hiking or rafting), I forget to hold the camera upright, so most of the fun stuff ends up being of the ground (oops!).

Check out that camera, so far it's been rated the best for water/dust adventures. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...x_optiow10.asp

PS: LJ where do you work around Zion? I go down there at least twice a year.

second, while the part of the american river by sac *may* be pansy, it's a seriously MAJOR party. mostly very young people having a great time on the river, having water fights, boozing, eatin', sunnin', enjoying a great, usually hot day on a nice refreshing river. there are some cool rope swings to catch air on, and some nice spots on the river to pull up on. it's a trip seeing so many people all doing the same thing. i just don't like the inevitible trashing of the river. but there is a major effort to clean it up, after it's done.
    I'm not bagging on your trip at all. I am sure your "float" was a blast with loads of hot chicks in tiny bikinis and all. I was kinda talking more about a non-party event river float with small rapids kinda for families. I just like a thrill, and wanted my money's worth is all.

First, disposable cameras don't have very good lenses. It's almost always better to pay $10-20 bucks for a cheap camera and buy film. plus many disposable cameras have the wrong film (400-800 speed) for the outdoors. but it may be worth your while to buy a waterproof digital camera.
    Yeah, but sometimes I have gotten lucky with some decent pictures from a disposable. I am actually thinking of stopping back by REI and seeing if I can get a pelican box or otter box that allows me to keep my digital camera dry and use it in the case without taking it out. Hey, they have one for the IPOD like that.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Kazak
    I just purchased Pentax W10 for my water adventures. I got it at Costco for $270, but you can find it online for about 215-240. I like Costco because of their return policy :)

Anyways, it's a waterproof 5MP camera with 640x480 30fps unlimited zoomed movie mode. It's perfect for river running, it's small, light and has a huge LCD screen. I plan on velcroing it to my helmet when I do Westwater canyon in August to show the first person perspective of the cool rapids. Usually when I film through some tough stuff (biking, hiking or rafting), I forget to hold the camera upright, so most of the fun stuff ends up being of the ground (oops!).

Check out that camera, so far it's been rated the best for water/dust adventures. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...x_optiow10.asp
    Thanks for the info Kazak. Is this camera on the link waterproof? Like in being able to submerge it?
    ~Jason

I don't have all my 4th of July plans together yet..... but I'm pretty sure my plans will include lots of beer, sex, fireworks and at least two midgets.

I was also relieved to hear LJ has given up on super hot men..... now I don't have to keep hiding from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I was also relieved to hear LJ has given up on super hot men..... now I don't have to keep hiding from her.

I was wondering why you have been avoiding me, my friend. Now I know but I just said I was done with hot men - SUPER hot men are another thing,

L

>>What ya doin' on the 4th???<<

Already did one thing for the fourth...

http://abby.richardbarron.net/galleries/fireworks/

Waz everybody else doin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barron
    >>What ya doin' on the 4th???<<

Already did one thing for the fourth...

http://abby.richardbarron.net/galleries/fireworks/
    Very cool!!! You got the good stuff. Fireworks like that are banned in Utah. Utahns have to jump the border into Wyoming to score fireworks like that.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Waz everybody else doin'?
    Traveling to Washington state to vist my bro. He's got a boat and lives near the river. Good times!

James

I'll be in Bear Lake with the whole fam damily. I'm thinking of hitting Minnetonka and the ice caves. Would the ice caves be worth hitting with the young ones?