Thread: stranded hiker black hole

stranded hiker black hole

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=318673

Does anyone know what happened?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nope. My guess is he got caught in a thick floating log jam without a wetsuit, and in the swim out he got hypothermic.

Details pending...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Nope. My guess is he got caught in a thick floating log jam without a wetsuit, and in the swim out he got hypothermic.

Details pending...
    Kelsey's new book makes it sound like the log jams are gone for the most part.

As of 1/1/2006 most of the mess had washed away...
    James

True. But a lot can happen in 6 months...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I wonder what happened with this rescue? I never heard the out come. I would be curious to know if the logjam getting torched had anything to do with the SAR. Its not uncommon for a do gooder to attempt to correct mother nature. They consider it a community service. I remember a few years back some guys dynamited a section of rapids on the Salt River after their friend was killed. It caused a big up roar in the whitewater community.

On another site someone said that the lost hike had started a bonfire of one of the logjams for warmth and that until a major flood goes through the woodpile will be very unstable.

Something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce
    someone said that the lost hike had started a bonfire of one of the logjams for warmth and that until a major flood goes through the woodpile will be very unstable.
    So I wonder if the big blaze was connected to the bonfire?

Yeah.... this canyon will be a mess for a while.

Bruce, remember when we did Keyhole last summer and the upper canyon was filled with an ugly black ash from the prescribed burns? This will probably be much worse. I just hope the fire burn out the logjam so it can wash out next big flood.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce
    someone said that the lost hike had started a bonfire of one of the logjams for warmth and that until a major flood goes through the woodpile will be very unstable.
    So I wonder if the big blaze was connected to the bonfire?

Yeah.... this canyon will be a mess for a while.

Bruce, remember when we did Keyhole last summer and the upper canyon was filled with an ugly black ash from the prescribed burns? This will probably be much worse. I just hope the fire burn out the logjam so it can wash out next big flood.

I have a feeling this may not be the only canyon filled with black ash in the near future...

i do remember that. with the keyhole and pine creek being almost totally dry we'll only have to walk through it. Of course with no water what will be wash off our feet and legs with?

Changing times = changing canyons!