Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zion Permit Line

Hey Guys -

Stood in line this morning for an early hour with my new best friends all waiting for Subway permits (not me but the rest of the folks there) and everyone was great about keeping the line according to arrival time. They opened up both windows but everyone just stood in the one line and went to either window as it cleared. People brought camp chairs and were given no hassle. Sign clearly posted on window says no camping allowed and defines camping as using any sort of sleeping bag or roll. Says violators may be fined and asked to leave the line.

Good Luck Bruce.

LJ

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah.... I've never had a problem with the folks in line trying to cut or anything. Everyone just kinda mingles, chats and takes their appropriate turn.

I'm happy to hear they are opening two windows. Thats new..... but then again.... its been at least a years since I stood in that dumbass line. Somehow I've been able to avoid it lately.

Thanks Utah Godess for the information.

What time did you get in line and what time did the first person get there? May I assume that the first one was looking for Subway permit?

bruce from bryce

Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce
    May I assume that the first one was looking for Subway permit?
    Bruce, A Subway permit is not the most difficult permit to get, in fact its one of the easier permits to get. If I remember correctly there should be 50 permits avaiable. 20 are reserved and 30 are walk-ups. By getting in line the the morning before you should be in really good shape. I would have checked the numbers but of course the Zion Permit website is down (whats new).

Mystery is probably the toughest permit to get. Only 12 total, 6 reserved and 6 walkup.

Also, folks standing in line will usually tell you what permit they are getting and how many so you can do the math without waiting for hours. I've seen folks camp for West Rim so you just never know.

Thanks but I think you got the numbers reversed. 30 through lottery and 20 walkup.
    I've already called Zion and asked why the site is down again, how much they're paying their webmaster and why they are not getting the support they need?

Zion Backcountry Permit website is back up. It shows 20 permits reserved.

When the reservation system was first initiated I was told by a top park official that at least 1/2 of all permits would remain available for walk-ups....... but that doesn't mean they will not change the rules somewhere down the line.

Anyhoo.... that should help your odds.....

I suggest you also have a fall back plan ready if the permits are all gone, maybe Orderville?

Good Luck!

I was thinking of that exactly. Need to bone up on the BETA.

may the force be with you, bruce

Don't camp at the permit window

Quote Originally Posted by moabfool
    Tell me when to make a bag of popcorn. This I gotta hear.
    Alright you guys were asking for me to tell the whole story about getting handcuffed after camping at the Zion permit window. I haven't had time to write it up until tonight. I write up a monthly thing for the backcountry.com blog so I figured I could use this as my write up this month. It will be added to mine and their blogs in a couple days. It's still kind of a rough draft. Enjoy:

Here's a story from back when I was just starting to get into Canyoneering. Before just jumping into a new sport I decided to get a little training to increase my chances of not dying and signed up for the American Canyoneering Association

i remember you casually mentioning this on our hike in january...been wondering what the story was...but never asked.
    glad everything turned out okay for you

That is why I never give a fake name..... I always tell the cops my name is Shaggy

Good campfire fodder, thanks for sharing......

Bruce, I can't remember when you said you were going to do Subway.... but.... The Kolob Terrace Road is currently closed because of wildfires.

This means that The Subway is closed.

Better keep your eyes on the fire conditions and have a back-up plan.

That's a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Bruce, I can't remember when you said you were going to do Subway.... but.... The Kolob Terrace Road is currently closed because of wildfires.

This means that The Subway is closed.

Better keep your eyes on the fire conditions and have a back-up plan.
    Maybe the rain that's forecast for this week will put the fires out. If it's not flood it's fire in Washington County lately. Let's hope there's no dry lightning. There go my weekend plans for The Narrows
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ
    Hey Guys -

Sign clearly posted on window says no camping allowed and defines camping as using any sort of sleeping bag or roll. Says violators may be fined and asked to leave the line.

LJ
    this will be allowed?
    let me know i am very good at that
    Attached Images Attached Images   

So what time did you get in line and what permits were you seeking?

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    this will be allowed?
    I say its ok. I mean you are not "camping" and you have a great technique. Try it and let us know...just don't use a fake name.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Quote Originally Posted by hesse15
    this will be allowed?
    I say its ok. I mean you are not "camping" and you have a great technique. Try it and let us know...just don't use a fake name.
    do you think my fake silk tedy bear pj will not be consider camping?
    planning to try perhaps next weekend at tom fest
    with my accent they cannot really ask for social security!!!!

but i can gave the last name if they are able to pronunced!!!!

Wow, when you're my size, you'd never consider turning SIDEWAYS in a chair like that.